What did you do to your AR today?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by icallshotgun88, Jul 18, 2013.

1. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

Ah I gotcha, you just cleaning it pretty much by feel?

I do both, sometimes I’ll clean by feel other times it’s after a certain amount of rounds.

Ghost1958 and Rifling82 like this.
  2. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Just going through it, whipping it down etc

Ghost1958 and PANDEMIC like this.

3. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Used it in conjunction with milita and LE to demonstrate to a badly outgunned and outnumbered BLM and ANTIFA that peaceful walking and talking would be preferable to the alternatives they usually use in other towns.

G66enigma likes this.
  4. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

Others call it Tacticool, like the gun Barbie dress up game... Fashionable firearms are the new normal so they say...:eek::eek::eek:

PANDEMIC and Rifling82 like this.
  5. Ghost1958

Letting the AR rest today. It had a long day yesterday.
    Our persistent blm protestor pulled up with a greyhound sized bus with a crowd from Louisville. Along with a van full and a few cars.
    BLM, ANTIFA, some armed with Aks and Ars, pistols , body armor , even one antifa sporting nightvision and helmet.

They showed up conspicuously after the Trump rally was over .
    As usual here they were met and watched by a small number of LE and and a large number of militia and armed citizens.

Everything was peaceful. Tense conversations at times but peaceful.

One subject agreed on by all the militias , armed citizens , BLM and antifa, surprisingly, was the gov and its agents are the biggest threat to all and the cause of the civil upheaval .

That was the only common ground .

But no physical violence occured.
    The AR is now resting in its spot beside my bed.

6. PANDEMIC

I need to start keeping my AR beside my bed, but then again I keep my Glock within arms reach so at least that takes
    care of that. :D

How do you transport your AR ghost when you go to these events?, do you transport it in a case unloaded or keep it loaded and just keep it like that (not in a case) in the car on your way there kind of thing?

Rifling82 likes this.
  7. Ghost1958

Behind my truck seat loaded no case, along with chest rig and spare mags. Sometimes in the passenger seat depending on circumstances.

9mm in the console. 45 acp on me.

Once there the rig and rifle are on me.
    That said the Ar itself with inserted 30 rd mag, chambered always goes behind the seat anytime I leave home.
    Here the sight of openly carried long guns gets no public reaction. It's not uncommon here.

Caveman Jim, Rifling82 and PANDEMIC like this.
  8. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

Tested negative! Gonna wait until Friday, but some serious range time is overdue now. Gonna run some Grendel through the AR! :)

9. Caveman Jim

I took off the carbine length handguard off my latest pistol build an added a Daniel defense 9 inch FF handguard. It looks so much better IMHO.;)

Before:

AF696451-ECB9-4934-B424-EA457BB4C958.jpeg

After:

55669D23-37D7-43B3-936B-1780EC2A6FF3.jpeg

10. PANDEMIC

is that a real suppressor or just a barrel shroud?

Rifling82 likes this.
  11. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

I kinda liked it before and after! Seriously, the new hand guard looks good!

Caveman Jim, PANDEMIC and Rifling82 like this.
  12. Caveman Jim

Not a suppressor, it's a Harbinger" Muzzle Projector, 1/2 x 28, MkI.
    On AR pistols or SBR's, I loathe a brake or flash suppressor for the louder report, so the logical choice is a flash can or linear comp to project the sound downrange.;)

Thanks Sir. Seeing as I have longer than normal arms (not to be compare to an orangutan):p carbine or pistol handguard feel awkward to grip, longer is better they say...;)

AgedWarrior and PANDEMIC like this.
  13. BullMoose429

BullMoose429 Well-Known Member Supporter

That’s a sick little rig- I love the silver receivers contrasted with the black furniture

Caveman Jim, PANDEMIC and Rifling82 like this.
  14. PANDEMIC

Been doing some mag changes and dry fire drills lately while I’m still waiting for my charging handle extended latch. (It’s running a bit late) And so I modified my rig some more for mag changes, dry fire drills, switching to my AR and my Glock and vice versa.

So I have one quick question, I use my snap caps for dry fire drills and mag changes for my Glock but I don’t have any snap caps for my AR.

And so I’m wanting to know can I drop the bolt on an empty mag on my AR when I’m doing my mag changes?

And I also sometimes drop my mags on carpet when I’m doing quick mag changes, was wondering if that’s okay too?

I got more serious about my shooting lately and so I wanna practice getting more comfortable with my rig and getting better at it and using it like I would in the real world. Rather then just let it sit in the case and with ammo being scarce so that means less range time, at least I can get some more practice at home.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Rifling82 likes this.
  15. BullMoose429

Honestly- other than rimfire and spring piston air guns, you should be fine dry firing, plus you can get an AR firing pin pretty cheap even if you do break one, which you almost certainly won’t

16. PANDEMIC

Thanks yeah I’m very familiar with the dry firing part. I dry fire my Glock with snap caps and without. And the AR I dry fire without.

It’s when I wanna get a more realistic feel when I’m doing my mag changes and cycling the action. I use my snap caps on my Glock but I just do it empty on my AR. I googled it and people said on an AR you can drop the bolt on an empty mag which I’ve done today a few times while practicing, I just wanted to confirm.

But once I get the latch installed I’m gonna be doing ALOT of practice soon. It’s just right now with the scope in the way, the standard latch on the charging handle is in the way. And so I’ve stopped practicing for now until I can get that bad boy installed.

And so my mag changes and swapping to my AR and Glock is very slow right now. And so I wanna practice and get really good until it becomes second nature, you don’t think you just do it kind of thing as if I’m doing it in the real world.

BullMoose429 likes this.
  17. BullMoose429

I’ve dropped the bolt on an empty mag 1000 times on my AR and have never even thought of having a problem

Rifling82 and PANDEMIC like this.
  18. PANDEMIC

Thank you! That’s a relief! :):D

On my Glock I drop my slide either empty, snap cap or live round but never done it on an empty mag. I’m used to taking out the mag first before dropping the slide out of habit. But then again my Glock has more rounds and dry fire’s then my AR lol.

I’m left eye dominate right handed and so I’ve been watching videos these last few days of running a right handed AR left handed, different setup on AR’s etc etc.

These video’s is what got me addicted to just keep practicing and keep at it. :)

19. PANDEMIC

What about dropping mags on carpet while doing quick reloading or doing quick mag changes, is that fine?

It’s probably fine, I just wanna confirm on this as well from folks that have far more range time and practice with their AR then I do.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  20. mrm14

mrm14 Well-Known Member

Well... gave up my AR's years ago and have become a M-14 guy. Call me what you will, but, I like the weight and conventional near hunting type stock rifle I was brought up on. Just sayin'

Rifling82, G66enigma and PANDEMIC like this.