Firearms Talk banner

2401 - 2420 of 2559 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Also, not trying to be critical, but the scope will have a set eye relief distance where everything is sharp, and field of view is optimized. Putting it too far forward will really diminish the potential of the scope unless you have a scope that is made with long eye relief.

I think it does have long eye relief, I’ll play around with it some more when I get a chance. But in the position the scope is now, I can see my field of view perfectly fine. But I’ll find out more when I go to sight it in.

Another item to keep in mind is “bridging” the scope/and mounts un both the upper receiver and onto the hand guard. Unless that handguard rail height matches the upper rail height pretty darned close, you can have problems with elevation adjustments. Then the handguard can move a bit independent of the upper receiver, which is not conducive to the best accuracy. It can be done, but it is less than ideal.

I gotcha, the scope rings were a little loose when trying to find the right spot on the hand guard. And so at first I figured that could be a problem later on when sighting it in, But once I got it all tightened down, it was all nice and sturdy and everything.

better to have a little higher scope mount, and/or use a charging handle with a latch extension to allow you to cycle, the rifle, with the scope in proper position.
Those were my first 2 thoughts, either a higher scope mount which I saw at the store yesterday when I went to go buy the the right scope rings that I needed and they also had the offset as well. But I wanted more of a low profile kind of scope rings, I kinda don’t like when the scope sticks out so much. And I’m not doing a whole lot of hunting and so I already spent like $30 bucks on the scope and the offset the store had is like another $30 and the 30mm rings they had were like $15 and the rings I bought that were the right ones were like $8. I just didn't want to spend $$ left and right when I’m not even sure how often I’m gonna be using the scope you know. I’m more then fine to make changes along the way if I decide the scope is a permanent feature.

Or a charging handle with a latch extension like you said, that way I can just swap that out and all I have to do is move my scope back down towards where it’s even with the charging handle. And then it’s good to go.

But I can do either one, just not sure yet. I wanna shoot a few rounds first and run this setup real quick the way it is and see how it performs before I decide what else I need to buy.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Yeah I know normally its supposed to be even with the rear of the charging handle, and that's where I was going to initially mount it at first. But testing the scope in various places on the rail and pre-mounting it before tightening it down. The scope is just too long lengthwise and so I put it slightly further up so I have room for my hand when I go and charge a round in the chamber or if I need to clear a malfunction, I have plenty of space to do so.

I wanted the eye relief closer to the charging handle, but I figured If when I chamber a round or clear a malfunction if needed, I'll bang my hand or hit the scope when I go use the charging handle because the eye relief is too close.
I found that using an ambi charging handle helped quite a bit with the scope proximity getting in the way...I can work the charging handle from the right side only when needed instead of trying to get under the scope.
BB1A0455-985A-4F58-8689-F89EFB7EE6F0.jpeg

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I found that using an ambi charging handle helped quite a bit with the scope proximity getting in the way...I can work the charging handle from the right side only when needed instead of trying to get under the scope.
View attachment 228446
oh nice! That’s probably what I may end up just doing. I’ll look later at charging handles with extensions or ambi ones and see how much they go for.

I can also see your using an offset for your scope. how is it, do you like it?

·
Registered
647 Posts
oh nice! That’s probably what I may end up just doing. I’ll look later at charging handles with extensions or ambi ones and see how much they go for.

I can also see your using an offset for your scope. how is it, do you like it?
Yes, the offset (cantilever) helped a lot for achieving positioning to accommodate the eye relief of the scope. Initially I had some Vortex rings, but the design of the scope with the rings did not quite fit right, needed to have one ring on the hand guard for optimum position, and that is not a good recipe for accuracy.
This setup allows me to get right into my scope quickly...it is comfortable, if you know what I mean.
Primary Arms has some nice offset mounts at affordable prices if you decide to pursue that.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Yes, the offset helped a lot for achieving positioning to accommodate the eye relief of the scope. Initially I had some Vortex rings, but the design of the scope with the rings did not quite fit right, needed to have one ring on the hand guard for optimum position, and that is not a good recipe for accuracy.
This setup allows me to get right into my scope quickly...it is comfortable, if you know what I mean.
Primary Arms has some nice offset mounts at affordable prices if you decide to pursue that.
thanks! When I was testing my scope out the other day, I was able to scope in and out pretty quick and still be on target at the same time. I’ll play with it some more later but I have it set up to where I don’t always have to use the bipods. If I see a target, I can scope in and line up my sights and shoot and then scope out. So I’m going to try that and use the bipods as well when I go shoot it.

·
Supporting Member
11,812 Posts
Pan
Here is a picture of one of the Tac Latches.
TAC LAtch.jpg

You also can only buy the Latch itself. If your Careful you can put the Latch on your existing Charging Handle.
The reason for the word Careful is if you do be careful when you knock the Pin out of the Latch. Because there is a small spring for the Latch that will flip out.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Pan
View attachment 228450
You also can only buy the Latch itself. If your Careful you can put the Latch on your existing Charging Handle.
The reason for the word Careful is if you do be careful when you knock the Pin out of the Latch. Because there is a small spring for the Latch that will flip out.

Thank you!

·
Registered
647 Posts
I also wanted to ask, which is better a charging handle with an extension or an ambidextrous charging handle?
I would say that is a question of application and personal preference. For my purposes, I found the extension a bit awkward, whereas the ambi gave me a smooth and more natural usage of my charging handle with my right hand when the scope is in the proximity. Without a scope I would likely use a standard handle.
I would note that my ambi handle has slightly larger handles on both sides...

·
Registered
7,773 Posts
Those were my first 2 thoughts, either a higher scope mount which I saw at the store yesterday when I went to go buy the the right scope rings that I needed and they also had the offset as well. But I wanted more of a low profile kind of scope rings, I kinda don’t like when the scope sticks out so much. And I’m not doing a whole lot of hunting and so I already spent like $30 bucks on the scope and the offset the store had is like another $30 and the 30mm rings they had were like $15 and the rings I bought that were the right ones were like $8. I just didn't want to spend $$ left and right when I’m not even sure how often I’m gonna be using the scope you know. I’m more then fine to make changes along the way if I decide the scope is a permanent feature.

Or a charging handle with a latch extension like you said, that way I can just swap that out and all I have to do is move my scope back down towards where it’s even with the charging handle. And then it’s good to go.

But I can do either one, just not sure yet. I wanna shoot a few rounds first and run this setup real quick the way it is and see how it performs before I decide what else I need to buy.
My “coyote rig”. Has a quick detach base and has an extended charging lever which you can’t see in the pic. It uses a low power scope (1.5x-6x) with illuminated center x reticle. But this was intended to be used out to 300 yds on predators.

·
Supporting Member
11,812 Posts
Pan
That is just a personal preference. I could see where the Ambi - Latch could have an advantage as far as using two fingers. The only caution with the one sided Extension is caution should be used not to torque the Charging Handle and warp it. Otherwise you do not want to be hitting it to open the Bolt. Pulling it reasonably is just fine.

·
Supporting Member
11,812 Posts
The other option for a full sized Scope on an AR Rifle is this Cantilever Mount which will work on the standard Upper Flat Top Picitinny Rail. Which moves the Scope forward and even with the Back of the Charging Handle for proper eye relief. A Quad Rail with Picitinny Rail is not needed.
Cantalever Mount Offset.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
The other option for a full sized Scope on an AR Rifle is this Cantilever Mount which will work on the standard Upper Flat Top Picitinny Rail. Which moves the scope forward and even with the Back of the Charging Handle for proper eye relief. A Quad Rail with Picitinny Rail is not needed.
View attachment 228462

I have a cantilever mount on my bear and deer gun- I have a scout scope on mine so it works really well for setting the eye relief

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Pan
View attachment 228450

And be lost FOREVER... Don’t ask me how I know...:p:D:p:D

If you are doing changes on AR’s, building from scratch or whatnot, it would be best if you to get extra parts before you attempt the above.

Reactions: PANDEMIC
2401 - 2420 of 2559 Posts