Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts
I alloyed about 60 lbs. of lead to cast some 30 cal 180gr bullets. Im mostly reloading rifle cartridges right now , mostly cause I’m out of small rifle and pistol primers. Once the drought is over and I get my hands on some primers, I’ve got a ton of stuff to reload.

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Just organized the place since I've been switching back and forth and finished up prepping and cleaning up about 3000, .223 cases. Hope they last a while. Hope I don't "need" them....

Today, after at most, 3 hours sleep, has been a tired day. Went to bed late and wound up, then had to get up early. Worked hard with a very good guy all morning then dozed off back home. Finishing up a few .38 specials is next so I can get back on 9mm, you know those "high calibers" that "blow out lungs".... :rolleyes:.

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Someone I know picked up a bunch of range cases for me and I just finished processing them and a few I already had. It pays to know good people.... (y) I need one of those Franklin Arsenal units like you have Cliff. Automation is good....😁

·
Premium Member
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm kind of a putz when it comes to .223. I got the time so I overdo it.

1. Wash with hot water, dawn platinum, and couple Tbsp of vinegar.
2. Dry
3. Deprime
4. Go/nogo gauge primer pockets. Sort.
5. Cut/swage crimp, and clean primer pockets.
6. Size case
7. Wash with hot water and Dawn
8. Dry
9. Trim, deburr, chamfer.
10. Wash, shine with hot water and Lyman brass cleaner.
11. Dry
Whew!! Done. 😁 And thats for my bulk/range ammo.

·
Premium Member
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Someone I know picked up a bunch of range cases for me and I just finished processing them and a few I already had. It pays to know good people.... (y) I need one of those Franklin Arsenal units like you have Cliff. Automation is good....😁
It is nice for range/bulk quality ammo. For .223 i set it to cut to about 1.752 Some cases are just a tad shorter at 1.751. So total range about 1.750- 1.754. For the overall case length. (It isn't super duper precise)
If I'm gonna trim for more accuracy ill sort by headstamp, size and trim with the RCBS trimmer.
But honestly, in a decent rifle even the range grade ammo shoots 1-2 moa. Totally acceptable.

ETA. I am really looking at the Lyman trimmer. It has variable speed rheostat. Looks more precise.
Lyman, Brass Smith Case Trim Xpress Case Trimmer https://a.co/1MRoiXn

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts

2. Dry
3. Deprime
6. Size case
8. Dry
11. Dry
My process is a little different order but we end up in the same place. I like my brass clean so I bought a Franklin Arsenal wet tumbler. Man it cleans well. I use Dawn, a little citric acid (tsp.) and a little of that stuff Cabela's has for cleaning brass. It really shines it up more than anything. I will put up a pic later.

I'm pretty pooped out right now. Gonna sleep and get up when I feel like it in the morning. I need some optics before I start getting things down to a gnat's behind. My .223's do pretty well just open sighted which I always liked. I stay very close to what you're doing and stay consistent. BTW, we do all that reloading labor for tons of reasons. The main is: we like our ammo done our way and that's the right way!

EDIT: When I get in your league, Cliff, I feel like I'll know what I'm doing! I started reloading right out of college a century or so ago, on and off. I almost sold all the stuff a couple of years ago. Glad I didn't. Today, it's very "on".

·
Premium Member
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My process is a little different order but we end up in the same place. I like my brass clean so I bought a Franklin Arsenal wet tumbler. Man it cleans well. I use Dawn, a little citric acid (tsp.) and a little of that stuff Cabela's has for cleaning brass. It really shines it up more than anything. I will put up a pic later.

I'm pretty pooped out right now. Gonna sleep and get up when I feel like it in the morning. I need some optics before I start getting things down to a gnat's behind. My .223's do pretty well just open sighted which I always liked. I stay very close to what you're doing and stay consistent. BTW, we do all that reloading labor for tons of reasons. The main is: we like our ammo done our way and that's the right way!
Agree .. when i say "wash" above it's in a Lyman wet tumbler.

·
Premium Member
I carry a 9mm. Shield 1.0 or an S&W model 12-2. Mauser shooter & collector
10,054 Posts
Emptied out some Norma 6.5X55 brass at the range with my 1908 FSR m/96 Swede.

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Well let's see. I'm working up loads using Reloader 17 in 300 WSM. The test run of 300 Weatherby for the Vanguard is ready to go using 180gr. Hornady Interlock bullets and Alliant Power Pro 4000 MR powder. I got a muzzle brake on the Vanguard. That move turned out well except those people who are sensitive to muzzle blast. The scope for the 300 Win Mag T/C is with Leupold to cure some problems. That put the 300 Winchester on the back burner.

I had annealed some 300 WSM brass for the A Bolt. This brass looks good for one more loading. The practice here is to get neck sizers for the short neck magnums, Got a Lee collet sizer on the way. Saving up money for more WSM brass has started. I bought sixty rounds of 300 Weatherby brass at out club trade day. No more fire forming 300 H&H brass to make the Weatherby,

I pulled out a Model 70 Featherweight in 257 Roberts. Loads will be worked up using RL-17 since it's already on the bench using 100gr. Barnes bullets. I rather use 4350 for the Roberts. The problem there is that I have not seen anybodies 4350 locally and I am out.

These are my projects for the next several weeks. The a bunch of cast bullets that need to be sized and lubed.

Reactions: Clifffalling

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
Prepping 150 Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor cases. Just need to trim to length, chamfer and deburr, then they'll be ready to load.

Lapua SRP case, CCI 450 magnum SRP, Nosler RDF 140gr, 45.5gr Hodgdon Superformance.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Spent the day shooting, but in the last week I prepped & annealed around 1k cases - 223, 22 CM, 25CM, 6.5 CM, and 7mm-08.
Not having much luck with Reloader 16 in the 25 CM, so I'll be trying another powder for this one. I have plenty to choose from.

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
I'm looking locally for Superformance for the 300 WSM. This hunt is on today's reloading agenda. After chores some case trimming in on the agenda, Also, the 257 Roberts is in serious need of sorting and trimming. I should be able to get a good start on these chores this evening. However, in this day the large Magnolia tree rules. If you like raking leaves a Magnolia is the tree for you, The old timey case tumbler is in use daily here on the hill,

·
Premium Member
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Will be working on 9mm today. Need to replenish stockpiles since buying the AR9. That thing sure is fun, but man does it go through ammo!
My standard range load is 124grn over 4.1 of titegroup.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts

2. Dry
3. Deprime
6. Size case
8. Dry
11. Dry
1. deprime with a universal depriming die (Mighty Armory)
2. wet tumble
3. dry
4. swage
5. lube
6. size
7. trim
8. wet tumble
9. dry
10. ready for loading

·
Premium Member
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I understand what anal is in reloading but why the gloves? Just curious.
For long term storage. That way no oil from hands on the cases. I use acid free boxes from repackbox.com and then vac seal in bricks that fit in 30 cal boxes.
Helps to keep the cases from getting corrosion.
Product Handwriting Font Rectangle Material property

1 - 20 of 105 Posts