What can you tell me about BENELLI M3 ?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by gunman41mag, Jul 18, 2016.

1. gunman41mag

gunman41mag Active Member

Would like to hear opinions on BENELLI M3, what it can & can"t do, pros & cons

2. harkersislandnc

harkersislandnc Active Member

I haven't shot the M3 but have an H&K imported M1-Super 90 that has been flawless over the years. Hunted everything from dove to deer and have shot more clays than I could ever count. Round count has to be in the mid six figures.

3. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

A Benelli can shoot shotshells or slugs, like most other shotguns. A lot of people like their Italian made shotguns - good fit and finish, smooth operation, feels or looks exotic, etc. In practical terms, it can't do anything substantially better than any other well made shotgun and Italian shotguns do seem to cost a bit more than domestic brands. Worth it? You decide.

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

A Benelli M2,M3 or M4 is one of the very few guns that I consider to be worth more than the MSRP. Just MHO and experience.

5. harkersislandnc

harkersislandnc Active Member

Dammit man why do folks all ways leave out the early M1-Super 90? My mother gave my father one for Christmas when H&K first imported them. The gun was never cleaned other than a wipe down and a rod through the barrel for likely twenty years until I got it. I wished I had taken a picture of the feathers/burnt powder/ gunk that was in the action. It have never missed a beat. I don't know if the newer models can tolerate such rough treatment.

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

M-3
    Very nice shotgun! The only thing with the Benelli is being a little lighter than most some remark about the increased recoil of the gun. If one is recoil sensitive I would maybe suggest something heavier.

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

f you're recoil sensitive, get the M-4. gas operated, and gentle as a *****cat.:)

8. gunman41mag

i've noticed that changing from semi-auto to pump, isn't as easy as i thought

9. gunman41mag

W O W !! The Benelli M3 is freaking expensive

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

My opinion skip it. The m3 shoots Ok but it's a solution looking for a problem.

Main purpose is to switch to pump for things like beanbag and rubber shot.. however the m4 cycles those with no issues.

If you really want to have a m3 go for it. I think the m4 is the much better choice.

11. gunman41mag

What if you can pick up a Benelli M3 for the price of an Benelli M1 ??

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

if you want an m3 go for it. i am not invested in what firearms you pick. im just giving my opinion.

i work in a place where im the only one that detests glocks. everyone else carries the things but i do not hold their poor choices against em ;p

anyway get the gun that makes YOU happy, im just some random person on the interweb.

13. gunman41mag

Just looking for a reliable semi auto shotgun, that will go bang everytime the trigger is pulled

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

when it comes to that, the m3 will and will not do that.

if you only feed it high brass heavier shot it will go bang every time in semi auto. if you use low brass low weight shot like bulk elcheapo walmart clay type shot it probably will have issues. that is what benelli tried to solve with the pump conversion. it is an interesting and unique firearm and you do not see a lot of them.

the m4 was their next attempt by combining the inertia system with a gas oprod system in the m4. its why the m4 will cycle everything. both guns are intended for military home defense police function not for busting clays or birding. however i use my m4 mainly for trap and skeet...

it really irks the silver hairs with doubles they spent 20,000$ on and barrels so long it almost needs a special carriage, when i outshoot em with a 18.5 inch defensive shotgun running a trijicon rmr... ive been thinking about fabricating or finding a ventilated barrel shroud to make it look even less like a trap gun.

just remember know your firearm's weaknesses and play to its strengths.

15. gunman41mag

The M3 i bought has the ghost rear sight, extened mag tube & i picked it up for $750 + $20 for shipping

16. jeffm

jeffm New Member

I can not speak on the m3 but I do own the m4 and she is my favorite possession. Sportsman's warehouse had them on sale recently trying to "move them" because the clerk said most people only buy pump action shotguns. I will say if you get one save some extra cash because you will most likely want to add an extension tube to it (I know I do). Also shoot a lot and I mean a lot, I usually bring around 300 shells when I shoot and don't want to stop. I have never had a single issue with it.

I will also add if you happen to have a sportsman's warehouse by you every march they run a deal where you pop a balloon and get either 5-100% off whatever you buy, I did it when I got my m4 and got 10% off so I paid 1540.00 for it (which also included a background check fee).
    out of curiosity let me know what you decide to pick up.

17. gunman41mag

I've been thinking, thede Benelli M3 are too expensive for a shotgun.