what can i do?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by a1trucker, Mar 25, 2008.

1. a1trucker

a1trucker New Member

i found a 1928 thompson submachine gun 45cal in a wooden case the person doesnt have papers with it .Is there anyway to to get the papers needed to buy it and sell to a collector/

2. Righteous

Righteous New Member

dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good luck with that

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Not to give you a short answer, but no. In the US, full auto weapons other than law enforcement and military had to be papered (registered with the BATFE) by May 1986, and no additional full autos can be registered. Which is why the selling price of LEGAL full autos has gone thru the roof, and is passing the clouds. Possession of an unregistered full auto can carry a penalty of 10 yrs and (I think) $250,000. Anyone (like the executor of an estate) that finds one must surrender it to the BATFE. Sorry man. But no.:eek:

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

It's illegal even if you don't get caught. It only hurts if you get caught. Then it hurts a lot! If there were papers on the weapon that have been lost, it may be possible to get duplicates from ATF and transfer the MG. i believe an heir can legally transfer a MG after the registered owner's death.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Robo- there are special rules for the transfer of a legal, papered Class III by the EXECUTOR of an estate to an inheritor- but it must already be legal, papered. Talking with some of the folks from the BATFE about 2 weeks ago, and they agreed it is a shame, but as some of the older generation passes away, there are more and more NFA arms showing up (Marble Game Getters, Ithaca Auto-Burglars, etc) that have never been papered- and cannot be- they must be surrendered to BATFE.

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

A1 - I am sorry brother, but this is something you can't get around legally.

C3 is right. If the EXECUTOR isn't around to be able to bequeth the weapon, OR you couldn't pass the background check, the weapon should be surrendered. :(

Which is a crying shame because that sounds like a real nice piece....

7. Righteous

Righteous New Member

ya could throw the reciever away and part that sucker out for some $$$$

8. ptrumble1

ptrumble1 New Member

No

Throw it in the river. Or maybe you can afford the $10,000 fine and 10 years in the Federal Pen and oh yah, a rap sheet to boot. The grace period to register these class III weapons has long since passed and do not hold your breath for another one with all the liberals running around.

9. beeman

beeman New Member

Like someone said, part it out. It's a shame to do so, but it's a far bigger shame to spend a few years at Club Fed.

I'd strip as much off it and surrender the receiver to the ATF. The receiver is the illegal; all other parts (to the best of my knowledge) are legal and worth some money.

I am not an expert, but you should be able to cut the receiver just behind the barrel and salvage the barrel...most kits for sale have a 1/2 inch stub of the receiver attached to the barrel. Demilled receivers are legally for sale but their torch cut in at least 3-4 pieces.

Not worth the risk....

10. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Just curious, could it be converted to semi and then be kept?:confused:

11. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

That was already my thought. Take it apart, tell the atf you have a RECEIVER without papers and ask to research if it was ever registered. If it was, then just put it back together. If it wasn't, then mail them the receiver and sell the rest of the parts as a parts kit...

But definitely do NOT try to hide an illegal firearm. If it isn't registered in their database, give them the receiver IMMEDIATELY!!!

12. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

Not without spending a TON. Apparently, there are some real difficult steps to get around with the stock FA thompson when trying to convert it. I looked into it already. Everyone says it's just cheaper to buy the current kahr semi-auto that convert a real tommy. And this is from the guys over at weaponeer.net, who can build guns from scratch (not from parts kits, but 100% custom from big blocks of metal), so they KNOW what they are talking about.

I guess you COULD cut up the receiver according the atf guidelines, carefully protecting the writing on it. Cut receivers with all the writing/logo intact can sell for $100 to $200, and parts kits sell for about $750 (more if it has a lyman sight). You could have a grand worth of parts, and more if the box/crate is an original to the gun...

By the way, the thompson isn't even a curio and relic, right? Not ALL old guns are on the list...