What can I do with all these pistol barrels

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by TraderVic, Nov 22, 2011.

1. TraderVic

TraderVic New Member

I bought a house a couple years ago, and ended up with a bunch of leftovers from a pistol manufacturer in my shop. Nowlin Inc was the manufacturer and from what I can tell they were very successful in the competition shooting markets among others. I have hundreds of barrels and thousands of hammers, however I do not know if they are any good or need more processing. I sure wouldn't want to sell them to someone who got hurt using them. Is there anything I could do with all this, or should I just sell it by the pound for the value of the stainless?

Thanks for any help

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Hi Vic! Welcome to the forum- when you get a minute, stop over by the intro thread and say howdy.

You did not say, but I am assuming these are for 1911 style pistols. If so, even if they need further machining, a smith that builds custom guns may have interest well above the scrap price. Some of the IPSC shooters will be along presently, and may have a smith they could refer you to. All else fails, will check with my smith, but likely to be a few days due to holidays coming up.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

They may have been take offs that were replaced with the custom barrels and hammers.

4. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Are they all stainless? Are there roll marks on them? Where are you located? If you are near me I could probably make some artwork with them.:cool:

5. TimKS

TimKS Member Lifetime Supporter

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Welcome to the forum. Stop by the introduction area and let everyone know you're here.

I might be interested in them depending on what they are....

7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Not so. You can make table legs out of worn out rifle barrels. What gun guy wouldn't want that? Or maybe window bars out of gun barrels. If I have enough pistol barrels I could do a herringbone pattern windowshade. With a bunch more I could slice them up and make a different windowshade.

I have seen a worn out piece of junk revolver made into a spade. I wouldn't do that but it was pretty cool nonetheless.

8. TraderVic

TraderVic New Member

As far as I can tell from the literature left behind, they are for a 1911. Calibers are 40, 45, and 38 super. Most of the barrel's, probably 90%, still need to be further processed so that they could be installed on a frame. I will get some pics up to give a better look as I have extremely limited knowledge of the trade.

Thanks for your time and information.

9. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I vote for wind chimes!

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

This is very interesting, but...

[​IMG]

11. TraderVic

TraderVic New Member

Here are a few pictures. Let me know if I need some different shots to clarify anything.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

12. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Ebay comes to mind (as well as gunbroker)

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

Are some of those completely blank with no bore at all?

14. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Very cool find indeed. I'm sure there's some money there, I'm just not sure how to make it happen.

15. TraderVic

TraderVic New Member

Yes, but only those in the picture, which is 14.

16. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Perhaps you could send one to a senior member with gun smithing knowledge to check it out? I would be interested in a 45 if the price was right.