What Caliber Steyr Mannlicher

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Nighthawk, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

Hey yall!

I got a Steyr Mannlicher 1888 rifle and I ve been searching on the net to find out what ammo it fires. However, there are several different opinions out there and I am now not sure. I know its 8mm but is it plain 8mm,8x52mm or 8x56R or something else??? Also if anyone knows where to get ammo for it, that would be a bonus. All you help is much appreciated! I sure would love to take it out to the range! :cool:

2. Braeden

Braeden New Member

does it not say somewhere on the barrel?

3. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

NOPE! Nothing on the barrel to identify the caliber. Just a few markings which allowed me to find out it Austrian. However, I believe it rather 8x56 or an
    8x50. I was able to find 8x56 Nazi surplus ammo, mostly from 1938. The rifle is definitely a Steyr Mannlicher 1888, an model that was used for the Austrian infantry.

4. FALPhil

FALPhil New Member

It couldn't be 8x56R unless it was rechambered at some point. The 1888s had ceased production before the 8x56R was developed, which was around 1930.

Best have the chamber cast

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  5. nlant

nlant New Member

Steyr M handgun barrels

I have a steyr m357 sig and was wondering where i could find a different barrel for this gun such as a 9mm or an 40 cal with a recoil spring any sites or sources thanks,