What bullet weight would assumably be best

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by dteed4094, Dec 5, 2009.

1. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I have a Model 12 Savage 22/250 with a 26 inch, bull barrel 1 in 12 twist. I would like to know what bullet weight would be most accurate at 100, 200 and 300 yds.? Would a heavier weight give me more accuracy at even longer ranges ? Right now I have 10 boxes of 55 gr PSP in three different mnfgs. I was somewhat disappointed the first and only time I shot the rifle as the best group I could get was about 1 moa. I know that gun should be capable of shooting better. There was a slight breeze, 5 mph at my back that I didn't think should effect it that much.

Attached Files:

2. Wambli

Wambli Member

1 in 12 is a very slow twist better suited for varmint hollow point bullets in the 40-45 gr weight. For 55 or so a 1 in 9 would be better. For high 60's gr class a 1 in 8 and for high 70's or 80 gr long range bullets a 1 in 7" is optimal.

3. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

dteed, is the Savage a new firearm? Normally new firearms need a break-in period before you can really determine the true MOA.

1 MOA is not all that bad if you are shooting factory ammunitions and you might want to try a 40-45 grain projectile with the 1 in12 twist. If your not happy with the results from the 40-45 grain bullets, save all the brass from those ten boxes of cartridges and start hand-loading. This way you can match the bullet weight with velocity to gain maximum gyroscopic bullet stabilization for that barrel.

More fun, tighter groups.

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Theoretically, 40..50 gr. With that said your rifle may like heavier bullets. I have a 1:9 .223, 50..65gr do extremely well, I also have a 1:9.5 that eats 45..65gr., 50 to 63gr are like lasers. Each rifle is different.

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Your rifle will shoot up to 63gr bullets. Maybe 65gr because of speed.

52gr is the sweet spot for the 12 twist. My remington loves 50gr Hornady V-max bullets. If you use Berger bullets you bay get a little heavier but you need to check the specs.

6. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

It should shoot the 55 gr bullets very well. What's a LOT more important is finding the exact load YOUR rifle likes. Do you reload? Have you accurized your rifle yet? Accurizing your rifle & working up a load should help a LOT! Sometimes you can luck out and find a shooter straight from box that don't need tuning but damn seldom does that happen in real life.

7. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

The gun is not new but looks it, no way of telling how much it was shot but from the looks of it, enough to break it in.
    I don't hand load yet but I will ask for tips on getting started later. I've spent too much lately on fire arms, if I spend any more right now I may have to pay for a divorce, Ha Ha.
    How do you accurize A model 12 ? It has the accutrigger,is piller beded and has a floating bolt head. I'm not sure if you can glass bed the stock.
    Probably hand loading is the place to start. I have at least 200 rounds for each center fire rifle I have and about 3000 22s so I have a lot of shooting to do to get chamber sized brass. Darn!!! The range is closed when the wife goes to bed!
    Thanks for the tips, I spend a lot of time in the forum and truly enjoy it. I just wish there were more members so I don't have to keep reading the same thing over and over. Maybe someday I'll know enough to give this advice.