What brand of defensive ammo do you use?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by motomyfoto, Sep 19, 2012.

1. motomyfoto

motomyfoto New Member

When I first started to carry my 9mm I just went out and bought the cheapest self defense ammo I could find which was the federal hollow point. After some thought I decided i shouldn't short change my safety. So I bought a box of Speer Gold Dot after reading a few forums about ammo. Then recently I bought a sig 238 shooting the .380 and I wasn't thinking and I bought a box of the federal hollow point again. But with that ammo I was having a problem getting the gun to chamber a round so I went back to the dealer I bought the gun from and they recommended I get the Hornady Critical Defense. Even with that I was having problems getting my rounds to chamber. But then I learned there was a malfunction with the operator that problem was easily remedied.
    I'm curious what brands everyone is using and why? Do you prefer a higher grain or a lower grain for your self defense needs, and again why?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I use hornady.....

3. Rarity

Rarity New Member

Hornady, Hornady!!!

4. Cracker7

Cracker7 New Member

Another vote for Hornady.

5. msup752

msup752 New Member

I use Double Tap or Corbon solid copper. It is the only bullet design that has penetration and expansion advantages over conventional jacketed lead core HP's.
    I have some guns that can't use the +P copper loads so I use Federal HST 147 gr for penetration and noise. It is subsonic and quieter. Also, most lighter bullets are loaded +P. Speer gold dot in 147 (9mm by the way) is a good second choice. Third place is Golden Sabre. They are relatively cheap.

6. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Federal HST. Videos I've seen show it to have excellent expansion & good penetration in 9mm, .40S&W & .45ACP, even from short barreled compacts. It's sold in 50 round boxes at a price not much higher than the 20 round boxes of other brands without sacrificing anything in reliability or performance.

7. -06

-06 New Member

Using Hornady at present but have used Winchester Ranger(380) with good results. Shot a "cooter" (snapping turtle-alligator turtle) and the bullet expanded perfectly. It "flower pedaled" out nicely to almost triple its diameter. Still use "Starfires" in the 45s.

8. DoyleTheDog

DoyleTheDog New Member

9. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

CCI minimag and standard 9mm luger, either rem or win. I don't waist money on HP because my 9mm is a derringer and I quickly found out, because of barrell length, they don't expand.

10. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

speer gold dots from georgia arms

11. mdauben

mdauben New Member

When I first started I used to use Federal Hyda-Shok in both 9mm and .45acp. These days I've switched over to either Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST, whichever I can find when I need to stock up.

12. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

9mm hornaday..critical defense.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Hornady and Speer.

14. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

For a 380 I just use FMJ. Most 380's are designed to shoot FMJ ammo. The 380 doesn't generate enough velocity to make a hollow point expand. The only reason to shoot a HP in a 380 is if you are concerned with over penetration. Get american eagle FMJ ammo your 380 will function. If it doesn't function with american eagle it's broke.

For my 9mm again I use FMJ ammo. I am a huge believer in exit wounds. I live in a rural area. The only bystanders are trees. In my 357/44mag I use Corbon cast bullets or JSP ammo. Shooting through through windshields and car doors are something I have to be able to do. For an attacker to get to my home they have to deal with my dog. That should buy me enough time to drop them in/near the car.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  15. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

Critical defense ...

I change it out every 12 months and fire the old stuff.

100% Reliable for 3 + years ..

Before that .. Gold dot

16. fastfire

fastfire New Member

For all of my handguns I buy Hornady Critical Defense. Good quality nice numbers and of course they add the tip to them so they go through clothing before expanding.

17. gollygee

gollygee New Member

If you would prefer HPs, I've seen successful tests of (3) brands out of a Bersa Thunder (3-1/2" barrel).

Corbon DPX (Barnes solid copper bullet)

Buffalo Bore DPX (same Barnes bullet)

Winchester DPX1 Bonded

As you said, several well respected HPs failed to expand from the same pistol.

18. chazzy

chazzy New Member

Hornaday critical defense 9mm 115gr for my xd9sc....I did alot of research on utube and Internet, and I was sold on the consistent expansion and accuracy of the critical defense. I also like the rubber tip to prevent clogging in the hollow point.

19. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

American Eagle 147gr FMJ. I live in a rural area. Trees don't count as bystanders. Coyotes go down on the spot with the 147gr american eagle.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012