What BP Guns are You Shooting?

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by TXnorton, Oct 1, 2009.

1. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

In response to notdku’s request to start more firearms related threads, I offer this one.

The primary goal is to see how many members are actively shooting Black Powder guns on a regular basis, and what guns are they shooting. Now if this encourages others to get their BP rifle, shotgun, or pistol out of the closet and start playing with them again so much the better.

For me BP is a recently acquired addiction. I started with BP cartridges in my .45-70 Sharps replica and then got hooked with a replica Walker Colt. From there it went crazy. Here is what I shoot on a regular basis:

1. Pedersoli Sharps 1874 .45-70 replica exclusively shooting BP cartridges
    2. Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken Percussion in .54 caliber
    3. Pedersoli Frontier (Cabela’s Blue Ridge) Flintlock in .54 caliber
    4. Uberti Walker-Colt .44 cal. Cap and Ball pistol
    5. Uberti Model P with a 7-1/2” barrel (replica Colt SAA “Peacemaker”) in .45 Long Colt, exclusively BP cartridges
    6. Pedersoli “LePage” single shot dueling Pistol in .44 cal

And there are several more on the "bucket list"!

I shoot all GOEX BP with FFg for the rifles and FFFg in the pistols.

So chime in and let the forum know what kind of BP guns you are shooting.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  2. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Only have one so far.
    Its an Austin & Halleck 50cal Flint Mt Rifle. Goex FF 350gr Maxi-Hunters
    Shoot it every couple months throughout the year
    More frequently in the fall preparing for PA late flintlock season.

Rust Browned 1 in 28twist 32" barrel. Great looking, great shooting. But poor quality and craftsmanship in the lock. Ill fitting frizzen. In short overpriced. No wonder they went under.
    Oh well was a BP newb when I bought it.:rolleyes:
    Currently looking for a new flint lock.

3. gloks4life

gloks4life New Member

lyman trade rifle in 54 cal. needs reblued but its a shooter,i still use iron sights woohoo!

4. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I use a 1980's vintage CVA .50 cal Frontier Rifle, a 1970's vintage CVA .58 cal. Mountain Rifle, and a 1990's T/C New Englander. Both CVA rifles were kits and both shoot more accurately than any shotgun. The T/C New Englander is a 1:66 twist and therfore only shoots patched RB's accurately, so I have never used it for hunting, as I prefer Lee 325 gr. R.E.A.L. bullets. Up until 2000 I always lived in "shotgun-only" county's, so I never hunted with anything else BUT a black powder rifle since they are allowed during the regular shotgun season. Now I live in a rifle county, but I still buy a muzzleloading stamp every year for the dedicated one week season in mid-december, and always use a BP rifle on my annual Thanksgiving Day hunt.

5. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Having had most of my pistols stolen I'm down to a CCH 1858 Remington, a .36 Remington pocket, and an older Rigarmi .44 Remington. I also use a Uberti 1873 and a Rossi 92 with bp. A repro 53 Enfield, an original 53 Enfield, custom Hawken .54, original sxs 12 gauge circa 1840, original 1887 Winchester and a Lancaster rabbit eared 12 gauge sxs.

6. RONSERESURPLUS

RONSERESURPLUS New Member

Back into BP after a Decade or so?

Hello all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS, yea, after more than a Decade BP free, I am Now shooting a 54 Hawken I got from a member here as well as a Older Brass Frame 36 navy Colt thats it right now and as I said been more than 12 years since I popped a BP cap? Here are some pics of my Guns:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

A brace of 1861 Remington Navy .44 cal. These are replicas (kit) and are alot of fun to shoot. Amazingly accurate for what they are.

8. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Lyman Great Plains Rifel 50 cal. The only one I woun, I kind of changed my focus to SHTF weapons.

9. watssm

watssm New Member

Old smokepoles

I shoot both a side hammer and an inline. Depends on the weather as to what I take out that morning.
    My in line is a Thompson Thunderhawk carbine .54 in stainless and synthetic stock. I shoot 435 gr Maxi Hunters backed with 80 gr Pyrodex P and a No 11 cap. Been using this combo since 1990 but have replaced my sites three times. I'm on Fiber / Tritium sites right now, I'll see how they do this year. I hate the balance on this gun but its light, accurate, and works well in all weather conditions. It has taken 7 elk and 9 mulies over the years so does OK.
    My side hammer is a $79 Traditions .54 I mail ordered from Cabellas in the late 80s. Its a damn accurate rifle, I shoot the same combo as the inline except I shoot the Pyrodex at 100 gr and I use R/S. It has been known to hang fire in the cold so I pull the nipple in the morning and back load it with P before I head out. This crappy little gun has really made some amazing shots on game. Took my first BP elk with it.
    I should note my hunting partner shoots a .54 Limon side hammer with a 220 gr patched round ball in front of 80 gr black powder and groups just as well as I do at 100 yds. He does have to clean a lot more often than I do but old school loads seem to be just as accurate as the newer loads.

10. Patrick Sperry

Patrick Sperry Member

Okay, I'm new here

I shot a TC Renegade for years. A kit gun in 54 Cal. Four Bulls, and two cows dropped in their tracks to it.

Then bad things happened. I won't go into all that.

Now, I shoot a Lyman 54 Cal Deerstalker. Yes, not as much "class." But one could do much worse than going with the Lyman. Even when times are not so tough.

Here's my "pet" load for that rifle. Ninety grains, slightly over, just a touch, of Pyrodex RS, an Uncle Mikes # 11's cap, and a 405 grain Powerbelt.

Think that's to heavy a round? My answer is to learn to hunt. Learn to get that close. Even? In ORANGE!

Three shots, two Elk, and one doe. They all just plain dropped.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  11. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I've came full circle in the BP game. I started out with a sidehammer, went to a scoped inline, then have came back to the traditional sidehammer when I realized inlines had less challenge that sidehammers do. I still have a couple of scoped Knight inlines but, wish I could still hunt with my .54 TC Renegade I used to have. I'm currently looking for a replacement for it now. There's nothing wrong with a scoped inline shooting the latest/greatest sabot round, but there's nothing like hurling a huge chunk of pure lead at a deer. I've bowhunted and rifle hunted elk but never had the chance to muzzleload hunt for elk.

12. Justen.223

Justen.223 New Member

As for me... a mid 90's cva .50 eclipse. My first and as of this point only. But God providing I'll have more before long.

13. Patrick Sperry

Patrick Sperry Member

Welcome to the brotherhood of powder then!

It's a blast! I love making white smoke,and some Elk to go along with it just makes it all that much better!

14. Muzzleman

Muzzleman New Member

Pedersoli 45 cal Kentucky long rifle Please lets keep the BP post rolling.....................
    TC 54 cal Hawkins
    Charles Daly 50 cal Hawkins
    CVA black powder sxs 12 gauge
    TC 45 cal Patriot pistol
    Traditions 50 cal Plainmen
    CVA 45 cal flint pistol
    Dikar 45 cal pistol
    Antonio Zoli 58 cal pistol with shoulder stock. C.S.A.
    Uberti 44 cal 3rd model Dragoon the 4 pound revolver
    Uberti 44 cal 1860 Army kit polished steel
    Ruger 45 cal old army
    Boot pistol 36 cal
    Classic Arms 36 cal duckfoot
    1 44 cal colt
    3 36 cal colts
    1 36 cal Remington
    3 44 cal Remington
    No wonder everone calls me Muzzleman:D

15. Shortshooter

Shortshooter New Member

BP

I have an old standby....my .50 Traditions Pioneer. Its acurate and fun to shoot. I used to Rendesvous "Buck skinnning" to some of you, and that gun got me awarded second place female shooter...won a pair of socks and a gun sock to boot...no pun intended! :p

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  16. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

That's cool, Shortshooter. I believe of the ladies here, you are the only one who shoots bp. :D

17. Patrick Sperry

Patrick Sperry Member

Well heck!

I did rondy's off and on for a few years. I won fourth place in 94 at the Raton Rendezvous and won a pretty cool knife. At the Ft. Collins Smoke Poler Shoot I won a 10, actually 11 gauge smoothbore shotgun/ Musket for placing second in a field of five... Ahem! :D

I just wish I could have had more folks to try BP shotgunning. As it was, I was the only one around that had one. Talk about having to lead birds...

Shoot Straight & Be Safe!

18. Joe M

Joe M New Member

I've always been on the traditional side of muzzle loading. The rifle I shoot 95% of the time right now is my .45 caliber Dickert Flintlock I built myself. I do like my flinters!:)

19. Muzzleman

Muzzleman New Member

Short shooter, My wife shoots the Charles Dalay. And she is a good shot. She beats me sometimes and she don't even practice. We did our clubs Rondy on Memorial Day. Had a good time although it rained everyday. Split a 54cal on a hawk, put holes in both sides of the card. Went to Bells Fort Rondy down by the Royal Guordge Bridge. Good time again. Cut a card in half again with my 54cal. Into the 1800s' big time. We belong to the Colorado Springs Muzzle loaders. We have 2 shoots a month and I go to the range as much as I can.
    Next year we plan on going to the Raton Rondy.

Shoot strait
    Muzzleman

20. petesridge

petesridge New Member

BP Shotguns

Patrick: Hey lets talk bp shotguns I want to lean all I can about shooting them. I Have about 6 old 1800's double barrels I shoot all of them my favorite. Is a 1860's dayton 11 ga. there is nothing better then out shooting somebody with a modern shotgun and seeing the look on there faces. after the've been beat with a smokepole. What do you know about Jugg choke. Do you know anybody that has done it to there shotgun? Pete