What books are yall' reading right now?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by PANDEMIC, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Manchester is a great writer. If it has his name on it, it will be a good book. If you haven't read it, try another of his books; Goodbye Darkness.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    locutus likes this.
  2. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

3. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I started ome today on Jim Bridger, that guy lived an interesting life. Im thinking the part about Mike Fink is probably a tall tale but who knows

Rifling82 likes this.
  4. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I just looked some up about him.... which one are ya reading?

5. SRK97

Cant say id really recommended this one, theres probably better writings of Bridgers elsewhere. Screenshot_20201003-235505_Google%20Play%20Books.jpeg

Rifling82 likes this.
  6. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I’ve got that one and several about Billy the Kid

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know if they're still available, but a few years back, University of Nebraska Press had an excellent series of very scholarly books out about Bridger, Carson, Johnston, and several of the other old mountain men.

https://www.nebraskapress.unl.edu/bison/

8. Trunk Monkey

I found it in my local used bookstore for seven dollars. Whoever owned it before me bought it 40 years ago and probably never read it. The reason I know it was 40 years ago is because they were using the coupon from Burger King in that expired in 1980 as a bookmark.

It's a good story but it's by no means an accurate biography of Billy The Kid

9. Trunk Monkey

I'm a fan of UNP

[​IMG]

locutus likes this.
  10. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

One of the true classics. The two books on Ethics and Politics, by Aristotle (384-322 B.C.).

Ethics, by Aristotle @ Project Gutenberg.

Politics: A Treatise On Government, by Aristotle @ Project Gutenberg.

A long slog, by any measure. But fairly enlightening. A lot of the motivations written of, in these two volumes, speak loudly about what's going on in contemporary society. Funny, the more things change, the more some things stay the same. Even over millennia.

If interested, here is a rough summary of Aristotle's Politics, over at The New American, with a comparison to the goings-on in today's world: click.

11. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

Looks like the 'Rona may have been the final piece in the puzzle!

ellis

From the article:

What follows is Aristotle’s slate of statist tactics designed to destroy a republic. I have modernized the language used in the English translation of Aristotle, but the substance of each is faithful to his original text. Readers are encouraged to read Book 5 of Aristotle’s Politics to see for themselves just how accurate and applicable these tactics are to those being used by tyrants in our own day.

• Ostracize outstanding men.

• Embarrass the virtuous people.

• Prohibit eating together at public places.

• Prohibit the meetings of clubs.

• Close schools.

• Keep close watch over anything in the society which could lead the people to develop confidence or pride.

• Close down any venues where people could gather to discuss or debate politics.

• Do whatever is necessary to make it difficult for people to get to know each other.

• Keep the people who live in the cities constantly under the surveillance of the government.

• Never allow the government to be uninformed about any conversations or actions of citizens.

• Keep spies among the people or keep them under surveillance so that people become afraid to speak openly.

• Cause friends to quarrel with each other.

• Create class warfare.

• Keep the people divided into groups and pit those groups against each other.

• Make sure the people are not able to employ private security forces, requiring them to accept the government’s police forces as their only law enforcement.

• Keep the people occupied with the daily demands of living so that they will not have time to think about uniting to oppose the tyrant.

• Keep the people always working, but never able to increase their wealth.

• Tax the people heavily so as to be able to reduce a man to poverty within five years.

• Stir up war so that the people are compelled to demonstrate loyalty to the state and to need a strong leader to guide them through the war.

• As a tyrant, show that you distrust your friends and that you are in charge and they depend on you for their power.

• Flatter the lower classes of people.

• Make friends with foreign leaders.

• Tear down anyone who is perceived as being superior to the tyrant.

• Be rude and vengeful to anyone who displays an independent and free spirit or who refuses to recognize the tyrant’s usurped supremacy.

sheriffjohn and G66enigma like this.
  12. Trunk Monkey

I can recommend Stanley Vestal's biography of Jim Bridger.

SRK97 likes this.
  13. Trunk Monkey

David Crockett: Lion of the West by Michael Wallis.

[​IMG]

This is one of the better biographies of David Crockett. I was very surprised, Crockett was nothing like Disney portrayed him.

A play called The Lion of the West by James Kirke Paulding is mostly responsible for the Crockett legend.

An actor named James Hacket portrayed Crockett wearing a Bobcat skin hat and that's where the legend was born.

SRK97 likes this.
  14. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I have been on a John Grisham binge this week. I am half way through my third one. Old John is a good storyteller and, even though he is a lawyer, he seems to feel the same way that I do about them. Bottom feeders and scumsuckers. Even if you end up needing one, you are going to get one or the other.

Two lawyers walking to the courthouse pass a gorgeous woman.
    One elbows the other and says to the other, "I sure would like to screw her."
    The other lawyer replied, "Out of what?"

locutus, Rifling82 and ellis36 like this.
  15. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

Sam Houston & the Alamo Avengers by Brian Kilmeade

16. SRK97

Listening to this now. Its crazy what these men went through in the Pacific Screenshot_20201019-173539_Google%20Play%20Books.jpeg

Caveman Jim and Rifling82 like this.
  17. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

A book I'm re-reading is Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Ablom. When I spent 2 years retraining for a CAD degree it was a book picked by my creative writing teacher.
    I don't want to spoil it but it really hits home nowadays as we age and have health problems. Dang, where's the damn tissues...

1737785B-A3EB-41F3-ABE9-736F047FAFD8.jpeg

18. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Decent story. Definitely gets folks thinking, who might not have been otherwise.

Saw the film, as well, which wasn't a bad rendition of the book.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  19. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

A Roving Commission by Winston Churchill.

An autobiography of his early life.

Rifling82 likes this.
  20. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

a8cb5.jpg

Rereading the Biden chapters in light of the Hunter laptop story in the news.

RJF22553 likes this.