What books are yall' reading right now?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by PANDEMIC, Feb 5, 2020.

1. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

Donald Westlake/Richard Stark

Westlake writes Elmore like stories but he also has the Dortmunder series which is a somewhat comic series. They're about convicted burglar John Dortmunder and his gang of regulars who constantly pull jobs and end up getting the shaft but squeak by somehow.

As Richard Stark he wrote the Parker novels. Definitely more hard boiled with lots of violent action.

2. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

A really interesting collection of speeches, debates, lectures, interviews.

Online Speech Bank @ AmericanRhetoric.com.

Summary: Database of and index to 5000+ full text, audio and video versions of public speeches, sermons, legal proceedings, lectures, debates, interviews, other recorded media events, and a declaration or two.

Examples: Eisenhower's "Cross of Iron" speech; Eisenhower's farewell address (warning of the dangers of a "military-industrial complex"); Edward R. Murrow's radio broadcast of his experience in the Dec. 1943 Berlin bombing raid; the James Wilson lectures (for the Manhattan Institute); Plato's "Gorgias" example of rhetoric; and many thousands more.

3. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

They talked me into ordering it.

ezgif-3-f26b7106afd5.jpg

I might have to read Dark Agenda next.........

Rifling82 likes this.
  4. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

If interested in the "economic colonialism" that the U.S. engages in, globally, perhaps this book might interest you.

Confessions Of An Economic Hit Man, by John Perkins.

Interesting, semi-autobiographical account of one person's experience in attempting to convince various Central and South American nations of the need for expensive "infrastructure" projects to "develop" their economies and secure their futures.

A cynical but fairly clear-eyed look at how "money talks" and how it's leveraged to induce governments around the world to do the bidding of the U.S.

A fairly short, excellent read.

SRK97 likes this.
  5. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

1601243480990.jpeg Here's one for srk.

SRK97 and Rifling82 like this.
  6. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I've read several of his. Warped but funny as heck.

7. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

Just downloaded the audio version of H.W. Brands "Dreams of El Dorado". A history of the west starting with Lewis and Clark. I have read several of his biographies and enjoyed them, hope this is as good.

Rifling82 likes this.
  8. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

I need to get back to reading Lone Survivor, still have not finished it yet and I have a long way to go.

RJF22553 and Rifling82 like this.
  9. TheShooter

TheShooter New Member

Recently finished up an interesting read...

Furnishing Eternity: A Father, a Son, a Coffin, and a Measure of Life Hardcover –
    by David Giffels

Non-fiction story of a man and his father working together on a coffin for himself (the son/author). At first I thought it would be either dull or dark/macabre, but I was wrong on both counts.

I am a woodworker, so ANY books about woodworking makes my reading list.
    Good read.

Rifling82 likes this.
  10. TheShooter

TheShooter New Member

Another woodworking book...

Handcrafted: A Woodworker's Story
    by Clint Harp

He was the carpenter on the show Fixer Upper, but this story takes you through his childhood, his early career and the path that got him to become the carpenter on the show, and more.

I'm always fascinated by HOW someone ends up doing something they truly love. It's never a simple, clear way to getting to that point where someone jumps out of the plane hoping the chute opens.

Rifling82 likes this.
  11. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

I can’t find anything I want to read anymore. Inundated with history. Political thrillers are crap, and so was the last John Grisham novel.

ellis36 and Rifling82 like this.
  12. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Started "Certain Victory: The U.S. Army in the Gulf War", by BG Robert Scales. https://www.amazon.com/CERTAIN-VICTORY-U-S-Army-History/dp/1597970093
    It is a book my father gave me after he read it years ago but I never got around to reading it. It is an interesting read as I lived through the span of time the book covers (early-mid '70s through the end of Desert Storm and the follow-on Desert Shield return/retrograde) as an Army officer. To make it even more interesting is my father's underlining of certain parts that seemed interesting to him.

For Dad, "his" wars were WW-II and Vietnam. For my oldest brother, "his" was Vietnam. For me, it was the first Gulf War (aka Desert Shield - Desert Storm - Desert Shield).

While it is an official account by the U.S. Army (which is usually very dry reading), it is an interesting and easy read - particularly having lived through the transformation of the Army beginning in the early-mid '70s. Lots of familiar names in there, to include my Brigade Commander when I was a 1LT - H. Norman Schwartzkopf.

Sorry I didn't read it when Dad was still alive...I would have had lots of questions and professional discussions with him about what he thought was important.

G66enigma, Mercator and Rifling82 like this.
  13. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

"Speed Duel" by Sam Hawley. It's about the landspeed record chase in the 60's with plenty of archival photos. Good read for anyone into hot rodding & would even be interesting to those not as into it.

14. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I started a book last week but I just can’t stay with it, hopefully I will when it gets cold, winter time is good reading time

15. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

What book did you start?

ellis

16. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

DB5B349D-D426-4584-88A5-69FDE5902085.jpeg

ellis36 likes this.
  17. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

I recommend A Majority of Scoundrels by Don Berry. An account of the Rocky Mountain fur trade.
    And I recommend American Book Exchange, ABE, as a place to find it. I used to find a copy at thrift stores now and then, and bought them for friends, but I only have one at present.
    Also, Something of Value by Robert Ruark. Must read.

SRK97 and Rifling82 like this.
  18. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I stayed up too late last night to finish The Broker by John Grisham. I like his books; he seems to have all of the love and respect for lawyers as I do. This one was more of a spy thriller than a lawyer story, although the lead character was a dirty lawyer. Grisham can always be depended on to spin a good tale.

ellis36 likes this.
  19. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

I just finished The Broker. I've been reading his series last couple of months.

ellis

20. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020