What books are yall' reading right now?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by PANDEMIC, Feb 5, 2020.

1. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

Ron Chernows biography of Washington. Only up to the beginning of the French and Indian war. A few details I didn't already know so far, but the main story I learned years ago.

dango, G66enigma and boatme98 like this.
  2. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

W.T. Sherman and dango like this.

3. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

Refer to above post.
    Take the proselytizing to the religion forum!

W.T. Sherman, dango and manta like this.
  4. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Whats this about?

dango likes this.
  5. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

Still reading Marcus Luttrel's Lone Survivor, been pretty busy lately so I'm still a long way from finishing it.

dango likes this.
  6. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man Well-Known Member

Reading is out dated.
    Everyone has that Audible on their phones or can watch movies on the phones. But there are always a few that hang on to the old things like the LP records that are coming back. My step daughter wanted LPs for Christmas?? Well OK.
    The last thing I read was directions on how to set up my new reloading dies. LOL

dango and Mercator like this.
  7. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

I still prefer reading. Electronic or print, makes no difference.
    I feel you actually retain more by reading than by listening. While reading print I keep a dictionary nearby. Reading electronic, I can highlight any unknown word for an instant definition.
    Audible and such, you tend to just keep listening, never trying to learn new things.
    Also, listening yo someone read puts me to sleep. :D

dango, Trunk Monkey and Mercator like this.
  8. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

9. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

For a man it's harder to remember spoken word. (Like your wife told you)
    I use Audible, and then if I like the book, will buy it in print, used. And trade in the audible credit for the next one.

dango and boatme98 like this.
  10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

What are the Ods.gif
    But I have nothing but great things to say about Mike Lindell and his Company.
    Four weeks ago we received a New Mattress Topper from My Pillow for our King Bed.
    We got it but it was for a California King Bed and did not fit our regular King Bed.
    We called My Pillow and talked to My Pillow and advised we would send it back. Mike showing what kind of a guy he is "today". Mike Lindell advised, I will tell you what! We will send your correct Mattress Topper out to you today. But just find a charitable organization in your area and donate the Mattress Topper to them. Get a Donation Letter from them on their Letterhead signed and mail it to me. They can have the one for the California King for someone who needs it. I thought "Wow" a $383.00 donation Free!. "Hard to believe these days! And by the way the new Mattress Topper is the best money I have ever spent. Sleeping like a King! We have used the new topper and it is amazing. And it saved me the expense of an expensive new mattress.
    I also ordered the above Signed Book by Mike! Great Book and it is exactly what it implies! From Addict to CEO and on to become a true Christian. And the book proves there can be hope for anyone!:) Because prior to his life change he was a true scum bag! IMO! But simply proves God can change our lives and save us from total destruction.:D

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  11. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Comedia: Inferno, Purgatorio, Paradiso -- by Dante Alighieri; translated by Lawrence Grant White; with illustrations by Gustave Doré. Written in the 13th Century. Beautiful illustrations. An older copy (from 1948).

I've read a few of the translations. This one's not bad. A bit more accessible, if a bit less lyrical.

Definitely one of the classics.

boatme98, dango and schnuffleupagus like this.
  12. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

Bible, currently reading Exodus. Also reading 7 Men and 7 Women by Eric Metaxas.

dango likes this.
  13. G66enigma

Reading seems to engage more of one's cognitive processes, and (at least with most people, it seems) can lead to better retention.

The major part for me, with reading printed copy is: it takes time (pros/cons), and so there's time for thinking things through, for reflection, for getting more than a "sound byte" approach to the material. Would much prefer a printed book instead of, say, a video presentation of it.

14. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

My reading generally is better than reading toilet paper wrappings. Curious note: Marcal recyclable wrapping of their TP is recyclable...

Currently reading a Dale Brown novel I read a few years before. Know the general theme (kinda like reading history), but like the details and character development. Kinda fun, even though I make jokes about elders reading that a good library only needs a few books.

I'm almost there.

ellis36 and dango like this.
  15. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I arm re-reading Guadalcanal Diary for maybe the fifth or sixth time. I will probably follow that up with Goodbye Darkness....again. History is my passion, and history, written by real wordsmiths, like Manchester, Richard Tregaskis, or Churchill takes you to the time and place; it is like a well-oiled time machine.

I recently read Mary Trump's book, which I found quite illuminating about the President's peculiar personality. I don't want to be a spoiler for those of you who haven't read it yet, (I know you are all going to) but she really doesn't like Trump. ;)

boatme98, dango and 7point62 like this.
  16. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Is it true that lawyers were in level 9 of Hell or is it a joke?

17. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Guadalcanal Diary and Goodbye Darkness are good reads.

Am currently reading About Face by US Army Colonel David Hackworth for the second time. Colonel Hackworth broke with the Army over the conduct of operations in Vietnam and retired.

In 1967 Colonel Hackworth had a talk with Bernard Fall, author of Street Without Joy, member of the WWII French Resistance, and member of the French Army in WWII. Bernard Fall was killed two weeks later while observing USMC operations.

For his service in Korea and Vietnam Colonel Hackworth was awarded 2 Distinguished Service Crosses, 10 Silver Stars, 4 Legions of Merit, 8 Bronze Stars with V, 8 Purple Hearts, 34 Air medals with V and more.

G66enigma likes this.
  18. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I also just finished 1776 by David McCullough. It was an exceptional read. It really illuminates the troubles that Washington had in the early years recovering after defeat after defeat, fighting with a ragtag army against the greatest power on earth at the time.

I have just started Almost a Miracle by John Ferling, another War of Independence history, it seems as if it is going to be a real winner.

I bought both of those books, in nice clean used hardbacks, from ebay for about $5.00 apiece shipped!

G66enigma and Sniper03 like this.
  19. G66enigma