What books are yall' reading right now?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by PANDEMIC, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

2. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

The Institute by Stephen King, which I should be finished with in the next few days, and the PA Criminal Procedure Laws, currently. Penal Code next, and I think I'll read Firefox, and Firefox Down (Craig Thomas) for s***s and giggles, once i finish the current book.

last ones i read were the David Morrel First Blood Series. Pretty much a huge difference between the movie and novel, in the case of First Blood, and if they had ended the film the same way, there would be bo Rambo franchise.

schnuffleupagus likes this.

3. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Thus the reason for the difference in endings!

kfox75 likes this.
  4. RKtullahoma

RKtullahoma Well-Known Member Supporter

Last book I recall reading was an ebook decalogy called "299 Days" by Glen Tate. A pseudonym, as much of the content of this book would get him (possibly her) fired from government work. A SHTF breakup of the US. Nice enough, but the timeline was way too short, and the general thrust of it too mystical. DOn't be misled, it's a good read.

5. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Love political books - mostly Glenn Beck (before he went weird), Ann Coulter (same), O'Reilly, etc. But mostly, I've been reading whatever my wife picks up at the thrift store that she thinks I might like: mostly novels but entertaining authors like Dale Brown, Tom Clancy, Clive Cussler, Brad Thor, etc. I particularly like Jack Higgins, but have already read all of his books. I pretty much vary depending on what novels she comes up with - all are entertaining - even some from authors I'd never heard of.

Presently reading an early Dale Brown book (Flight of the Cheetah) that I thought I had read, but hadn't. Have also re-read a few books I had forgotten about: storylines I had forgotten but details recalled during the read - after the fact. Still fun reads. Perhaps Alzheimers early on, but my bedroom is stacked with books I don't know what to do with. Perhaps the local FD folks will enjoy... If A/H really kicks n, my library is set!:)

Mercator likes this.
  6. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

You can donate books to your local library or use them to flesh out somebody's yard sale . I use mine to keep my other books upright on the book shelves LOL .
    If you like political books, I think Mark Levin's " Liberty and Tyranny " is great . His others are worth reading as well .
    Right now, I am reading two compilations of Ayn Rand's newsletters in search of quotes to post on our philosophy thread, which I hope everyone is enjoying .

RJF22553 likes this.
  7. kfox75

Yep. in the 1972 novel, Rambo (only name given in the book) and tyeasle shoot each other, and mortally wounded, stagger and crawl off into the brush, towards a final confrontation. Rambo sees teasle again, and shoots to miss, for an honorable death, upon returned fire, but hits tease, and resigns himself to bleeding out, rather than lighting the stick of dynamite tucked down the front of his pants.

Trautman (A Captain in the book) sneaks in behind him, and takes him out with a shot to the head, with a shotgun, and walks over to Teasle, to tell him it's done, at which point Teasle has a moment of respect for Rambo, and dies shortly thereafter.

Film, there was an alternate ending in which Rambo forces Trautman to shoot him, in the police station, that flopped with test audiences (Yes, that was the intended original ending.) instead we get the one that showed off Stalone's acting chops, in which he has a breakdown, over what he saw while in Vietnam, where Teasle and Rambo both survive, and rambo surrenders himself to Trautman and the State police.

There were quite a few differences between the novel and movie, not just limited to a much more violent story, with a higher body count (Officially, only one person died in the movie. Way more were killed in the book, with Teasle being the only survivor of the fight in the hills.) The film was good, but the book beats it hands down IMHO.

Bonus fact. David Morrel came up with Rambo's name, inspired by a type of apple. Yes, there is a Rambo apple.

Almost makes me wonder, if it was set in another universe, would we call it going Gala, Pink Lady, or Granny Smith? Maybe even Red Delicious?

8. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

There was also a country/gospel group The Rambos, father mother and daughter as I remember.

kfox75 likes this.
  9. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

My kind of books! I've read all the Clive Cussler and Dale Brown books in the library. (Which are a lot!).. James Lee Burke is a good read. I've read all his books. Read all the Jack Reacher books.

I don't do electronic books. I like pages on paper. I don't buy books, except reference books.

ellis

RKB likes this.
  10. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

International Building Code, with Commentary. At least with the commentary, it isn’t just memorization. You can actually gain some understanding of why they have the stuff in it.

kfox75 likes this.
  11. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

I'm half way through with reading Chris Kyle's American Sniper. And so far, its a damn good book! Chris literally puts you right into battle as if you were there yourself. Really good so far, he's got one more book, American Gun which is about the 10 Firearms that changed U.S History and that book I didnt know of until after I started reading American Sniper. So will probably be looking for that later as my next book.

I may watch the movie again after I finish reading the book to see how the two match and all.

12. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Rent, I agree. Am thinking local FD folks who have time on their hands between emergencies. Others as I consider. Have plenty of books that I'll need to clear out (my heir isn't much interested in most of them), but want them to go to some org other than a book-burning one.

I don't quite understand my fascination with aircraft/fighter novels and sea-based (mostly submarine) novels, as I was a pure Army guy. But there it is, perhaps a prior life or two...

ellis36 likes this.
  13. Poppy1

Poppy1 New Member

I’ve read most all of James Lee Burke’s books. He can sure tell a story.

ellis36 likes this.
  14. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

I especially like the way he will take off, in the middle of the story, and describe "the beauty of the smoke of the burning cane-fields coloring the red skies of the setting sun behind the cypress trees that witnessed the Yankee troops marching to the sea."

His perspective seems to be that of a traveler though time documenting the events that make up his life.

ellis

Poppy1 likes this.
  15. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

I just started reading: Screenshot_20200216-081336_Chrome.jpg
    His perspective is fresh. I know all about what took place from 1914-1945 but VDH is giving me the Whys those things took place.

RJF22553 and PANDEMIC like this.
  16. schnuffleupagus

Chris was a solid shooter but he stretches the truth a bit. That is not a criticism, just acknowledging that he may have remembered reality a little more fantastical than those next to him.

alsaqr, Mercator and Rifling82 like this.
  17. schnuffleupagus

Morrel wrote other, better books, Fraternity of the Stone is his best work. Highly recommended.

It is a crime that the movie HUNTED with Tommy Lee Jones and Benicio delToro did not credit David Morrell . It was closer to First Blood than the Stallone movie.

kfox75 likes this.
  18. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Probably wasn’t averse to making things up. Between him and Jesse Ventura, I’d like the witnesses located and waterboarded into confession under oath. That’s the book I’d buy next, any day!

19. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

I've never read his book but as far as Ventura's lawsuit goes, I believe Jesse. Why? Because one of his witnesses was Terry Moy. EP-190719188.jpg
    If you don't know who Terry "Mother" Moy is, Google him. A very interesting man.
    Terry was my next boat neighbor for years in Newport. There's no reason that man would lie about that. Terry owned the Coronado bar where the incident supposedly happened.
    His yacht was a 74' Chris Craft Roamer: Bon Moyage.
    73_Roamer_74_Underway_From YW.jpg

20. kfox75

Brotherhood of the Rose was another good one by him.

just finished The Institute, better than I expected, and that's saying something. I have high expectations with King's work.

Just started Fear Nothing by Dean Koontz, as a reread, and am wating for the third one in the Christopher Snow trilogy to finally come out. It and Seize the Night (Moonlight Bay series) have great characters, and a very engaging story.