What are your thoughts on the .357 SIG?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Shihan, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm thinking of a new M&P. Thoughts?

2. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

The answer to a question that hasn't been asked.

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

The answer to a question that wasn't asked, and didn't need to be asked as a dozen other catridges fill the same nitch.

.357 Sig is expensive, it's rare on the shelf, and it's mostly a reloader's cartridge.

Your hard earned money could be better served Shihan.

JD

4. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I'll agree with that. It's a pretty fun round to shoot but it's hard to justify the cost per round vs ity's ability to do what you need of it.

5. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

357sig gets a big thumb DOWN! Why? Because its the same as a 40S&W. Just more expensive, harder to find, and doesn't come in as much options.

Get an M&P 40. You'll notice the mags say 40 S&W .357. All you need is a .357sig barrel and it drops right in! Use the same mags and everything. YEP! You can even buy a 9mm conversion barrel and 9mm mags if you want! Its pretty versatile. :cool:

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

bottle neck pistol cartridges are a HUGE pita to load for. i call it a pointless round. and i have a couple of firearms chambered for ammo you just dont really find on the shelf. i wouldnt personally own anything chambered in .357 sig and i load for every single gun i own cept rimfires.

7. WDB

WDB New Member

Shi that is one M&P I would pass on, well expressed reasons listed above.

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

As both of these fine folks have mentioned I would steer clear.

The only people in NC carrying an M&P in 357 sig are the NCSHP and I think they're dumb for it.

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I have a .357Sig and enjoy shooting it. It is a very impressive round out of a semi auto pistol. Fun to shoot at 100 yards, fo sho.

But would I buy another one? Nope. Wouldn't buy another .40 either, though.

10. Morgo

Morgo New Member

The .357 Sig is a great round and a good performer. Probably better suited to reloaders.
    I prefer the heavy weight of an all steel firearm for the Sig though. Like my Sig :)

[​IMG]

11. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I like the 357sig round. It's fun to shoot, a darn impressive defense round, and those necked down cases make for more reliable feeding. I have one and enjoy it.

Unfortunately, the detractors are also correct in that it's not terribly practical. There are 40sw defense rounds (CorBon 135-140gr) and 9mm defense rounds (Ranger 127gr +P+) that are pretty darn close to 357sig ballistics...and for either your range ammo costs drop dramatically.

I sure like my 357sig; but hindsight 20/20, I'd have gone in a different direction.

One more thing: If you choose 357sig, go ahead and knock $50+ off your firearm's resale right now.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  12. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

It doesn't give you anything in return for the increased cost and decreased commonality. Hell, with quality, modern ammo there is hardly any difference in penetration and expansion between anything from 9mm to .45acp for defensive loads.

13. NGIB

NGIB New Member

As the owner of "the world's greatest Sigma" in .357 Sig I expect you're familiar with the round and aware of the drawbacks & advantages. I have a .357 barrel for my P229 and while I don't shoot it much - it is a fun round to shoot. One of the fellas I've shot pins with has used his .357 Sig with JHP rounds and it is a very effective round on the heavy bowling pins - expensive to shoot though. Get an M&P .40 and the extra barrel and have fun...

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

zombie survival guide cool book. world war z is really good too. max brooks is mel brooks' son.

15. Shihan

You are correct "The Worlds Greatest Sigma"™ is .357sig. I was just getting some discussion started and possibly some more google hits.

I enjoy the .357sig and that's one reason I was going to get the M&P357. Now, you have me thinking go with the . 40 and extra barrel. Seems it would be better.

@NGIB, are you ready to give up the M&P40 yet?;)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  16. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

.........wth?

17. Shihan

With your choice in avatar, shouldn't it be more like "What the Duece?" :D

18. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Jeebus, I haven't even shot it yet. Speaking of shooting, I'm thinking of going tomorrow after work - Shi, want to drive up and do some lead slinging?

19. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

And how long have you had it?!:mad: Are you sick or something?

20. Shihan

See you tomorrow. I am there. Should be fun. Is the world ready for an NGIB and Shihan get together. :D