What are your thoughts and opinions on the charter brand revolvers?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Looking to learn, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Looking to learn

Looking to learn Active Member

Holy crap! That's disappointing to hear about the taurus thing. Thanks for letting me know that though.
    I reckon all brands have their pros and cons.
    I suppose I'll just have to get out there and try a few charter revolvers for myself and talk to some more folks about them. I do like their affordability, that's for dang sure.
    I think I'd prefer my gun to be chambered in 357 though.
    I'll have to go visit the charter website now and have a look

2. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

CA is a good, reliable, well priced alternative. You can normally find used examples in great condition for excellent reasonable money. Fit and finish are not in the S&W or Ruger level but you could do a lot worse for the money.

kfox75, Looking to learn and Gatoragn like this.

3. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

40-some percent of US voters think you should :)

All charters I looked at had heavy or rough trigger pulls. I think they are budget self defense gun, not target plinkers or anything else. Fired every time in notorious cases such as the attempt on George Wallace and the killing of John Lennon. (I think both were Charters)

You can have a used Charter for $200. A good used Smith or Ruger never that low.

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

LTL
    Over the years I have owned two Tarus Model 85 Revolvers in 38 S&W Spec. They were fine little revolvers. However I never did shot them all that much because they were mostly for CCW. Years ago I gave one to a good friend for his wife and she still has it. And traded the otherone for something else I wanted. Nothing wrong with it at all!

boatme98 and Looking to learn like this.
  5. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

Maybe the quality is better now, but I looked at an EAA Windacator a few years ago at a pawn shop. It just did not feel like a quality gun. Also, the factory stamp on the barrel said "38 special" but EAA's engraving said "357 magnum." I don't think i could feel safe shooting a gun that's not sure what caliber it is.

6. Looking to learn

Okay, bud. Thanks for the answer and your time.

7. Looking to learn

I thought it looked like a nice gun due to the videos I watched and the reviews on it but a further investigation revealed that its illegal to buy in my state because it's made of zinc or has zinc parts in it.
    It was a bummer initially but I got over it. There is a lot of other fish in the sea, right

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  8. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

This is going back about 9 or 10 years, so I there have been changes, good on them.
    I had found a report on all major makes of firearms and their rates of failure. Taurus had a 30+ percent failure rate out of the box. No one item, just various problems across the spectrum of all their guns.
    That was enough to convince me that I could live without one.
    To me that would be like owning a Fiat, you just never know if it's going to work when you need it, and it's nearly impossible to get fixed.

Fiat = Fix It Again Tony!

Mongo and Looking to learn like this.
  9. Looking to learn

Thanks for the info, boatme98
    I'll make sure to do plenty of deep research on whatever I choose to get

10. boatme98

I remember the 2015 recall of their PT series (semi autos). Something like 1 million units recalled.

Mongo likes this.
  11. Looking to learn

Holy crap!
    That's disappointing

12. Sniper03

Like I said, I never had any problems with my 2 little older Model 85s. But sounds like they have had their share of problems since. I must say I too would also be reluctant to purchase their product. I am sure there are some here that have had good luck with theirs and others that have not? For those please share your experience with Tarus products.:) Just curious!

Looking to learn and boatme98 like this.
  13. boatme98

Sure, 70%+/- were fine but a 30% failure rate is excessive in any industry and abysmal in a product who's sole purpose is to protect your life.

Mongo likes this.
  14. Sniper03

I agree! Maybe buying their product to target shoot or just for pleasure due to the price point might be ok!

boatme98 likes this.
  15. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

I have 7 Taurus hand guns. And been happy with all of them. Only issue i had. Was with my tracker 357. The rear sight blade was loose. They sent me a new rear sight. While i was waiting for it. I fixed the blade with loc-tite. I still have that one on the gun. The lowest cost revoLver besides my Heritage ones. Is an RIA. M200 No issues with it. I bought for 150.00 OTD.

16. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I put 6000 rds, more than most posters on here will shoot in 10 years, through a $200 Taurus Compact Pistol, PT111 Millenium G2 (whats now called a G2C).
    I still have that gun.
    I bought more than 1 of these. Not all were flawless and the breaking in period on a couple of them to feed smoothly was excessive.. But for the money it was basically a free gun.. considering I spent usually 2-3 cases of ammo ($400 ish) thru a gun until I consider myself fully proficient

One with near perfect ergonomics to boot.
    Did it feel as solid as my full size Smith&Wesson M&P 9 Gen 1?
    No.. but i was able to shoot and hit quite well with it.
    It doesnt matter what people bouth 20 yrs ago.

Whats on the market now matters.
    And those products are quite serviceable

PS: A Used Smith and Wesson M&P9, which is a service quality pistol can usually be had for 300 bucks now BTW.
    Nearly all of them dont come with the external manual safety ,so I dont like it for a new shooter,.. but a used M&P9 Gen1 is probably the highest quality gun available in that price range. (I also own more than 1 of those. last time I was out shooting w/ it, I put 1300 rounds through in a single day, that one's round count is probably 6000 rds or so also, it has the upgraded extractor , free from S&W)

17. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

Never been a fan of anything Charter makes and wouldn't recommend them. If you are looking for a budget price point revolver I would steer you toward Taurus.

Now before all the haters come out with the horror stories let me explain. First off ALL gun companies that sell any decent number of guns will have those stories. That said lets dig a little deeper. Once upon a time S&W and Taurus were owned by the same parent company. With a common owner; as you might imagine technology was shared between the two sub companies. And before anyone assumes that S&W was doing all the sharing; nothing could be further from the truth. There were a LOT of innovations in S&W revolvers that came from Taurus during that time. Anyway, bottom line is Taurus revolvers are of good design. You'll find that most complaints about Taurus are either about their plastic guns OR their quality control / service. So what to do about that? Always buy Taurus (or for that mater any gun) in person where you can inspect and handle the gun. Best way to avoid QC issues.

Rossi is a very similar story to Taurus and a worthwhile candidate as well.

Wambli and bluez like this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

A .357 Magnum cartridge will not load into a .38 Spl cylinder.

Rifling82 likes this.
  19. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

That may be, but it still raises an eyebrow when the manufacturer says it's one caliber & the importer says it's another.

20. BWM243

BWM243 Active Member

I packed one for years shoot 115 grain bullets RN-HP for years it took about 500 rounds to get the trigger good I think I put about 5000 round throw it and it was still good when I let a lady have it