What are your reloading Recipes

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by dunerunner, Oct 24, 2009.

1. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I curently do not reload, but after recent experiences with some commercially available ammo (Magtech), I've decided to set aside some money and buy the equipment and materials. I've decided that to start I would purchase Lee Percision gear. My first reload recipe will be for my .308 Savage Modle 10. I intend to buy Lupa brass and use IMR4064 powder (if I can find any), Federal Gold Medal #210M primers and Berger 210gr. VLD bullets.

That done, there is the issue of reloading recipes! What powder, bullet, case, proceedure is best for what application? No need to teach a reloading course, just the specs.!

So come on all you reloaders!!

Post what you are doing!! None of this "Well ten years ago I was..." stuff. Recent accurate complete info. on your reloads that the membership can use today.

Your post must include the following:

The specific weapon or application you reloaded this round for.
    The Brass manufacturer, and case trim length.
    The Bullet manufacturer, bullet shape, and weight.
    The Primers used.
    The Powder manufacturer, type, and charge weight.
    Crimp? yes or no.
    OAL of the finished round.

If you are posting your reloading data, please double check your post for accuracy, and typos before submitting your final post or edit to make corrections.

Members should be aware that the reloading can be dangerous and the information posted here is for the purpose of gaining insight into ammunition reloading for specific weapons and applications. All information is submitted voluntarially and should be double checked with one of the published reloading guides to insure the load is within the maximum established for that caliber you are reloading by anyone intending to use this information to reload ammunition. Always begin 10% below any recommended load and work your way up.

(Mods, if you feel further disclaimer is required, please add, if you feel or Admin determines this type of posting is inappropriate, feel free to delete)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  2. 1hole

1hole New Member

"That done, there is the issue of reloading recipes! What powder, bullet, case, proceedure is best for what application? No need to teach a reloading course, just the specs.!"

"Your post must (?) include the following:

The specific weapon or application you reloaded this round for.
    The Brass manufacturer, and case trim length.
    The Bullet manufacturer, bullet shape, and weight.
    The Primers used.
    The Powder manufacturer, type, and charge weight.
    Crimp? yes or no.
    OAL of the finished round.

If you are posting your reloading data, please double check your post for accuracy, and typos before submitting your final post or edit to make corrections."

Goodness! ?? At the risk of being obvious, that would take a lot of writting. And for little effect.

Laboriously writting and meeting your criteria for data while giving you our loads, even if we could talk you into using them, would only leave you loading for our rifles, not yours!

All of my data can easily be found in a Lyman, Lee, Hornady, Sierra, Barnes , Nosler or Speer manual. Take your choice! ;)

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Example

5.56 - Bushmaster AR (Might even want to include the rifling twist and barrel length)

Brass manufacturer: Lake City
    Case trim length: 1.75
    Bullet manufacturer: Speer
    Bullet shape: Full metal jacket boat tail w/ cannelure
    Weight: 55g
    Primers used: Magtech Small Rifle Primers
    Powder manufacturer: Hodgdon
    Powder Designation: BLC(2)
    Type: Flattened Ball
    Charge weight: 25gr
    Crimp: No
    OAL: 2.215

4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

True, but to access the entire data base, it costs $30/year! That would buy me 100 bullets, or a pound of powder or 1000 primers!!

What if I'm loooking for a specific reload for a DPMS LR-308 and a member who reloads has found THE reload combo for that gun? If they are willing to share information, why not?

Just thougt this could become a member resource.

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I don't think your going to see much difference in Rem brass and laupa over all in a factory rifle. Them 210gr bullets are big and heavy for a 308. If your rifle is not a single shot it will be with them. they recommend you seat to touching the lands.

6. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Ive found that a certain load in one rifle may not be the best in another.
    ex. Two identical Rem700's may like a little different charge weight, bullet seating depth etc.
    It can be a good starting point however.

7. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Thanks Tango! Yea, the 168gr. Bergers were the member recommended bullet for the .308, just; they the 210VLD's, are available! Tough finding powder and primers, too.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

210's are a bit heavy for a .300 WM unless you are shooting 1000 yards.

9. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

+1 with Gatekeeper,I have to load two different powder charges using the same 75gr Hornady AMax bullet for my 1-8 twist AR's. My RRA has a 20" bull barrel,and my Model 1 has a 18" heavy barrel but each one likes a little different powder charge to shoot almost identical groups at the same distance. Same is also true with my 300 WM rifles,one has a sporter barrel,and the other has a bull barrel and they like completely different loads.

10. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

The difference, if I'm reading my information correctly is barrel length.

QuickLOAD Projected Velocities in FPS with Increasing Barrel Length from 20" through 32" in one inch length increments.

Powder
    44.5gr Varget (ADI 2208) - 2592 2620 2646 2671 2694 2716 2736 2756 2775 2792 2809 2825
    44.5gr IMR 4064 - 2628 2656 2681 2705 2728 2749 2770 2789 2807 2824 2841 2857

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I like the new 135gr SMK and 155gr SMK Palma for my 308 you can get them both cooking right along. the 135gr is a short fat bullet so it is meant for 300 yards or under.

Varget RL-15 and RL-19 are all great powder for the 308. The fastest powders you will find are the 500 series from VV N530, N540, N550 are the cats nuts and will produce velocities at or above whats listed in the manual.

12. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

13. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

This is the way I understand it.
    I think alot of it has to do with barrel harmonics.
    Ive seen two identical guns shoot the same load with different results.
    Maybe due to minor differences in bedding, throat length, barrel stiffness or size,etc
    A barrel moves when fired, the muzzle moves in an arc
    Loading your own allows you to custom tailor the load to have the bullet exit the muzzle at the most stable point of the arc. Some I've read say its at the top or bottom of the arc where the barrel pauses briefly before reversing direction others say the middle of the arc(neutral position). That was kinda the concept behind the BOSS System, but it would allow you to adjust a weight on the muzzle to tune to a factory load instead of visca-versa

I dont know, Im no scientist or engineer but I do know changing charges a few 1/10 of a grain or bullet seating depth a few thousandths either way can yield dramatic changes in group size.

The only load I have ever got really good results out of in every rifle Ive tried it(3/4" or better 3shot @100yds) was originally loaded for a 24"Rem700BDL 30-06.
    30-06 Rem Case
    56gr IMR4350
    Fed210 Primer
    165gr Sierra Gk and/or Nosler BT
    Seated just short of lands (.030)

Another successful load is for 7mm STW
    Rem case
    81gr H1000
    Fed215 Primer
    140gr Nosler BT
    Seated just short of lands

This load has shot a best of .065 out of my factory 24" Rem700 rechambered from 7mag
    Sub 1/4" out of friends custom built 26" Douglas barreled Sako
    Around 3/4" out of other friends factory 24" Rem700bdl SS - It shot 1.5 out of another identical rifle though

14. res45

res45 New Member

15. 1hole

1hole New Member

".. if I'm loooking for a specific reload for a DPMS LR-308 and a member who reloads has found THE reload combo for that gun? If they are willing to share information, why not? "

"Why?" is more to the point. That point being there is no such thing as "THE reload combo" for anything. That idea is attractive but it's not that simple. It's sorta like asking "What's THE line that will seduce a 115 pound red-head with a dimpled chin who lives on the north side of Chicago." That's so far off base as to not only be unhelpful, it would more likely be counter productive to even attempt it! Rifles, like women, are different, what works with one is unlikely to do so with any assurace with others. If, in fact, there were any such lines - or loads - there would tables giving up the "secrets" in any book or magazine on any such subject!

There are no secrets, not even much general "truths for accurate loads." Like women, we must learn to treat each rifle individually, reacting as they respond or not.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  16. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I have also found that if you get the Sierra Reloading manual they have the most accurate load listed. I have found that for a given bullet in a given cartridge this will get you closer to an accurate load than anything use.

17. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

18. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

This is what I am seeking when I ask for reloading recipies! A combinatin of bullet style/weight/tec, powder manufacturere/charge, and proceedure that will get me close enough, to that 115# red head with the dimple, for all practical purpooses. :D

19. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

My go to 223 load

50gr Hornady V-max
    Winchester Cases
    CCI-BR4 primer
    24gr AA XMR2015
    This is loaded .020" off the lands.
    My gun produces .400" 5 shot groups with this load

My other is
    50gr V-max
    Winchester cases