What are your favorite Targets to shoot?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by DrFootball, Feb 21, 2014.

1. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Aside from the traditional paper targets,. We have gotten into "reactive" targets in this last year, in both 2D and 3D types. So don't just SHOW your targets, but tell us why you like to use(and Re-Use) your targets!

2. nosaj

nosaj New Member

Aside from paper, these are probably one of the most commonly used for us

Attached Files:

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Plastic golf balls are my favorite target for plinking, steel targets are a close second. Real golf balls are OK. Especially when shooting a low velocity round every so often you hit the golf ball right in the sweet spot and it is gone. The plastic golf balls are usually retrievable. I find real golf balls in places I never imagined a golf ball could fly.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Great thread. For paper targets, I like the splatter ones, particularly the ones where each ring is a different color.

I've shot gallon jugs filled with water and that was fun, too. With my brother-in-law, he strung them between two trees and we each tried to shoot a little lower than the next. It was fun. I've also shot gallon jugs set at 25 yards, 50 yards and 100 yards. Sometimes, after they were empty, they'd go flying waaay up in the air.

I once brought a watermelon to an outdoor shoot. I always wanted to shoot one. That was fun. I shot it all up but then someone shot it with some higher caliber rifle and sent it into a hundred pieces. That was awesome.

i really like metal targets at the outdoor range JonM goes to. I could spend a couple hours on the .22 range alone. Every rare once in a while I make it up his way and we spend an afternoon shooting. The range he goes to is very fun. And Jon is a great shooting buddy. He's patient, teaches me a lot and brings some really crazy fun firearms to shoot.

I wish I had access to some open land to shoot on. I'd like to try some of those reactive ground targets I've seen at the stores. I'd also like to shoot some cheap pop cans still filled with pop. I'd like to try shooting some tannerite, too. :)

5. nosaj

nosaj New Member

One time someone had left a tractor trailer hubcap at about the 50 yd mark..
    I hit it with the mosin and sent it 25ft in the air. The oooos and cheers from the other benches reaffirmed my feeling of coolness.....haha

6. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

7. Beezer

Beezer Member

Any large plastic containers that might normally end up in the recycling bin (milk jugs, juice bottles, laundry detergent bottles, etc), filled with either water or sand. Typically we use those with handguns.

For the rifles, Tannerite has become the target of choice. Set the half pounders at 200 yards and fire away. Sometimes will add a little wrinkle. The last time we shot, I had 4 old computer hard drives that needed to be destroyed. We duct taped 2 of them to a 2 pound Tannerite can and let my wife shoot it. This was her first time shooting a long gun. She nailed it at first shot. It was pretty dang impressive (her shooting skill and the resulting explosion).

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I don't own a firearm that would set off regular tannerite. I would have to get the lower impact tannerite. But I'm not complaining. I'd like to shoot any Tannerite.

9. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I like old freon drums (used to do HVAC work) for cheap targets.

10. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

Mujahideen! Best reactive target in the world!

I will go to a pick and pull and find an old hood and draw targets on it and blast away till its swiss cheese.

11. bbertram

bbertram New Member

Nothing better than long neck beer bottles, but I haven't shot at them since I was 10 years old !! :)

12. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

I got into trouble doing that because I put them on a round bale didn't think about where that glass was going

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

13. Garandman1945

Garandman1945 New Member

I like to grab a case of cheap store-brand cola or moxie (with the moxie, it is a nice orange can). When you hit the full soda can, it blows up, and if you just nick it it bleeds out and you can still make the empty cans jump.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

14. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

CATs....................

15. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

Old bowling pins but with high power rifles and pistols you only get one hit as it goes to pieces.

16. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo New Member

I like hanging water balloons; cheap and easy :)

I normally run a sting between a couple of trees and just hang the balloons from it.

17. Westy

Westy New Member

When we go to the range, I set up the clay pigeon holders for the kids. I usually shoot paper targets while they're plinking the clays with .22's.

18. DrFootball

I've seen those in Wally. We need to get some., and a few packs of the clays....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

19. DrFootball

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1393316612.696009.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1393316635.284443.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1393316655.484875.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1393316675.054140.jpg

Some of the targets from last weeks' shooting...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

20. Vincine

Vincine New Member

When it's warm out, I shoot a self healing orange ball with a 10/22 TD iron sights. I start off with it 'close' and it it rolls further and further away with each hit increasing the challenge. I was at the limit of the 'cheap' 22lr ammunition, about 60-70 yards last year. This spring I'm going to start using the 9mm 'carbine'. I tried one of those walking metal targets but our ground is soft and the hits often just force the target's 'feet' into the ground preventing it's travel.

I have a metal spinner with 3", 2", & 1" targets. I've used it with the scoped 22lr bolt. Last year it was at 50y. This year I'm going to work toward 100y. First I've got to rig a cheek riser I like on it. I haven't found my 'sweet spot' as far as repetitive prone positioning with it yet.