What are the pros and the cons of a glock?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by saviorslegacy, Jul 26, 2010.

1. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

I am considering getting one, and I know very little about them.
    So I am all ears to anyone who will enlighten me to its pros and its cons.

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Note to crew:

I'm not touching this with a ten foot pole!

3. utf59

utf59 New Member

Pro: A Glock is an ultra-reliable, fairly lightweight (polymer frame) gun that has good accuracy, all for a very reasonable price.

Con: Glocks do not have fully supported chambers, which have led to kabooms — explosive malfunctions — in some guns, mostly in .40. The chamber, along with the polygonal rifling, mean that you really shouldn't shoot reloads through it.

You decide: Glock features that some like and others dislike include the grip angle, the fact that it has no thumb safety, and it's double action only.

I'm sure others will add to this list.

You might also let us know why you are considering a Glock.

Disclosure: I carry either a Glock 30 or 27 every day. So you know where I stand.

4. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

More hoodlums have shot themselves in the junk with a Glock than with any other handgun over the past 20 years.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4m2hszTSyY]YouTube - Plaxico Burress' PSA on Gun Safety[/ame]

It just ain't safe.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am-Qdx6vky0[/ame]

5. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

What a moron..."I'm the Only One in This Room Professional Enough, That I Know of, to Carry This Glock 40"......BANG!

What's a Glock 40 anyway? Does he mean a 23

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Cons.......my dad has one.

Pros........I don't.

:D

7. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I am not a glock fan at all but I have to clear this up. Glocks are not DAO, they are striker fired. Every time the slide is racked the firing pin is cocked. It's not a true single action due to it's function but it feels similar to one.
    For me, their grip angle is terrible and they feel like I'm holding a brick. The only safety being on the trigger is just plan stupid in my mind. You lay the thing loaded on the floor and canebrake can fire it with the ten foot pole he mentioned.
    I also refuse to support anyone who doesn't believe the general public should own firearms and the only reason he sold his "glock perfected" POS to the public is because LEO and military didn't want it so it was sell to the commoners or go out of business.

I suppose they are reliable but I haven't tested one personally. There are a boat load of accessories for them if you want that lasor sited bayonett you can get one.

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Cons.......my son has mine.

Pros........I don't.

I gave it to him, figured I'd sell it for what it was worth!

I know, I know (worth)

Bring on da noise bring on da funk.

[​IMG]

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Pros: dishwasher safe

Cons: dishwasher safe

10. User Name

User Name New Member

This is about right on.

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Pro: great price, reliable, accurate

Cons: safety position, ergonomics

12. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

K, is there any gun that has pretty much no cons?

I want a light weight reliable pistol that has high ammo capacity and is safe.
    Why? Because I want a pistol that will pretty much never fail me.

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

No. Everyone can find something wrong with every pistol. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. What do YOU think? You are the one that has to pack the damn thing around. :p

With that criteria, I would say get the Glock IF you like the way it feels in your hands.

14. General_lee

General_lee New Member

There is no one perfect handgun.

However, the Springfield XD and XDM series adds a few improvements over a Glock.
    More comfortable grip angle, grip safety and optional thumb safety.

I strongly recommend looking at the XD.
    IMO a Glock is an accident waiting to happen.

15. suprdave

suprdave New Member

That's YOUR opinion. I, personally, thought that the XD felt horrible in MY hands. My Glock fits ME perfectly.

I'm not trying to start a debate, but the OP needs to find out what works for the OP.

16. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Agreed +100000

17. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

IMHO the Glock is easy to shoot, but too easy to shoot unintentionally. Many people find them difficult to shoot WELL. The trigger breaks in an unusual manner and tends to throw shots low left for right handed shooters. This can be overcome with training and practice.

The grip angle is different than every other pistol ever made except the Luger. Once again my opinion, If you choose to buy a Glock, get rid of EVERY OTHER HANDGUN you own. Go 100% GLock or go 0% Glock.

For my paws, the fingergrooves in the newer frames are in the exact wrong place. If you have a "normal" hand, you will not have trouble.

Many people complain about a Glock feeling like a 2X2 in their hand. To each his own.

If the grip feels good to you, they are simple, rugged reliable pistols.

18. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

Biggest Con I know of is Glock doesn't provide a safety, other than the split-trigger assembly. Great for a gun used by trained military/police, not so great for the not particularly well-trained citizen though

19. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I'm just now getting up off the floor that Cane stepped back from this softball pitch. This is a moment in history that should not be forgotten. I think he is still reeling from Benning's admission.

I own a Glock. If I had it to do over again, I'd buy an XDm or XD. I don't mind the lack of an external safety too much, but it is not a weapon I'd want to be handling while lecturing a class stuffed with high schoolers.

"See how accidents happen? Listen up! Listen up!"

20. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Actual cons from my perspective:

-The biggest single concern in any venture has to be safety. Glock trails the field WRT safety. Between KB's and ND's, Glock owns.

-Ergonomics just don't suit ME. For many, I'm sure they are a natural fit, but for me it's like trying to aim a bent dustpan.

-Balance and heft. Glocks are nose-light, but then again from the age of 14 until the Navy went to the Beretta's the only autoloader I fired was the 1911 chambered in .45 cal. This isn't a sales pitch, but the SA XD series more closely mimics the 1911 balance, if not heft.

-Price. You can get a lot more gun for a lot less money.