What are the pros and cons of the Beretta 92SF

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by beaglesam, Aug 28, 2010.

1. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

I am considering the purchase of a Beretta 92SF. I like the weight and feel of the firearm. I have a Glock 17 and a S&W M&P. I'd like to here the pros and cons for this purchase.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2010
  2. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

They are sexy, accurate and reliable. I'm not a fan, though.

They are a bit short lived (I've seen them go before 15,000 rds).
    Slide mounted safeties/de-cockers chew up the hand and take a beating during recoil.
    Big grip.
    Keep springs fresh.
    And of course a DA/SA transition.

But they shoot great, and are easy to shoot well.

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Had one of the early edition ones, back when Lethal Weapon first came out.

I thought it shot great, had a good, hi cap mag and was reliable. It never treated me wrong in the sense of leaving me with a FTF or FTE.

The steel slide did wear on the aluminum frame LONG before the weapon was ready for the scrap bin though. The wear was uneven on the frame to the point where it could be seen with the naked eye. One of the reasons I am not a fan of dissimilar metals rubbing against one another. :eek:

The slide mounted safety isn't a plus in my book. It should be on the frame where it was intended to be.

The grip is wide, but it wasn't uber long to the point of not being able to wrap my hand around it.

It was a good, decent gun, but it wasn't ideal for my needs and it went on down the line for a Sig.

If you like it, if you shoot well with it, then get it and be happy. :)

Best of luck.

JD

4. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

The Inox version is sexy, The grip is a little bulky.
    berreta.jpg

5. hemiram

hemiram New Member

I've shot them quite a few times over the years, and finally bought one last year.

I really like it, it shoots great, and I've never had a problem with decockers/safeties chewing up my hands. I don't know anyone who has.

6. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Hmm...Try doing a couple of hours of failure drills with one and see if you feel the same way.

7. hemiram

hemiram New Member

I don't know why it would be much different than other guns. I shot one and a Taurus PT-92 a while back and there was a lot of problems due to the crappy (but free!) ammo we had and my hands hurt no more than they do whenever I shoot a lot. My hands have arthritis from a lot of fights as a bouncer, and working on cars/trucks, so I would have noticed the 92 being different from other guns.

8. iMagUdspEllr

iMagUdspEllr New Member

Its big, heavy, and not as realiable as other designs. I vote for the PX4 Storm. Unless you just have to have your "M9" fix.

9. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Shot them some in the Navy, but as they replaced the 1911, I was already biased against them.

10. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Have one...like it. Shoots nice and is cheap and easy to feed. Slide mounted safety/decocker can be tough on the fingers.

11. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

I agree it's big, bulky and heavy but please elaborate on which other designs it is not as reliable as? Not a common complaint I have heard about the 92FS/M9.

12. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Think the poster is referring to the slide mounted safety on the Beretta, the Tauras variant mounts the decocker on the frame so you don't chew up your fingers racking the slide.

13. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

They are large for the caliber. Folks with smaller hands or sausage fingers can have some difficulty with them.

My chief complaints are
    The P-38 era locking system is prone to breakage

The P-38 era locking system causes the barrel to sit high in relation to the frame. This makes it more difficult to control than a 9mm ought to be.

The alloy frame can only be detail stripped a limited number of times. The pin holes will wallow out and enlarge.

I feel Beretta was disingenuous in the way they dealt with the early slide breakage "problem".

Most if not all have non replaceable front sights integral to the slide.

The standard finish will not stand up to much abuse.

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

** Without gunsmith assistance that is ** :cool:

15. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Exactly right JP. I chose not to respond because I did not want to come across as "overly critical" and start another "Is too!", "Is not!" debate. Thanks for jumping on that one.

16. iMagUdspEllr

iMagUdspEllr New Member

It isn't as realiable as a SIG or a Glock for example. The stock magazine can't handle sand/fine grit very well compared to sig or glock mags. That is due to the phosphate coating being on the outside and inside the mags on the 92fs. Beretta released shiny mags (the same mag without the coating) to fix that issue. But now you have a shiny magazine. I believe mec gar produces great mags to fix this problem though. When I talked to some of the security forces guys at the armory they complained about stove pipes and other malfunctions during qualification (not just a one time thing... regular occurences). I was told that the M9A1 is much better but it looks to be designed the same... so I don't think reliability has really improved with the A1.

But I know it is still too big and heavy for me (for a 9mm). And, don't get me wrong, it is plenty durable (just not reliable).

17. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Just to clarify, the bad mags were the ones made for Uncle Sugar by Check Mate Industries (CMI), the same folks who make the best M14 mags. The current CMI M9/92F's, Beretta, and Mec-Gar are excellent mags for the M9. And the M9/92F/S is extremely reliable. I'm not a fan of the 92's, but will not denigrate them for flaws that don't exist. Reliability of the Beretta is great, it is durability where they fall short (by design).

18. iMagUdspEllr

iMagUdspEllr New Member

Oh hmm. I guess I got it twisted then. I don't know why they were having problems then (probably poor maintenance).

19. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

If the ones you used had the CMI sand proof mags,they would have lots of problems.

Plus, the M9 was designed to be disposable after a few thousand rounds so that there would always be new, serviceable pistols on hand. But they are kept in use long after their designated life span has passed.

If the springs are not kept fresh the M9 takes a beating. The frame will stretch out of spec and start to fail.

20. Missileman

Missileman New Member

Hey, everybody needs an M9--if only so you can shoot in national pistol matches. Carried one in the desert--have a 92FS now and it has never malfunctioned. Yes it is large, and I don't shoot it very much, but it always functions and hits what I aim at.