What are the errors here (Jam explosion)

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by CJx, Oct 20, 2013.

1. CJx

CJx New Member

Found this video, and I want to diagnose what this guy did so terribly wrong. This is what I see

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh1lyMyejpI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh1lyMyejpI[/ame]

-On the first click, he racks the charging handle back, does not seem to inspect the barrel for obstruction
    -Then he releases the charging handle and smacks the forward assist, not quite sure what that does but I think it could jam a misfed round into the barrel
    -On the other clicks he really does not check if the barrel is clear, he just racks the charging handle and then slaps the forward assist.

So I think by not checking the barrel for obstruction and slapping the forward assist, he jammed a round in the barrel and then ended up bringing another round up, and they blew up, or something like that.

-And then there is the fact that the dummy who was next to him was not wearing any eye protection. What if he was next to the gun, like he was, when it blew up, not sure though.

I'm sure I missed many points, and I'm interested to know, how did this guy f*** up so badly?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  2. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 New Member

I'm guessing a squib load became stuck in the rifling, hence his need to manually eject the spent casing. The primer charge by itself was not enough to eject the case. He then chambered another round behind the plugged barrel and there you have it.

Just a guess.

3. CJx

CJx New Member

Also you can tell he is trying to be the badass on the range, fixin the jam all hastily trying to be Mr. Cool.

4. CJx

CJx New Member

Damn, how would you know if that happened? That's kind of a scary thought because I don't see any way of knowing if a bullet is stuck inside the barrel.

5. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 New Member

It is extremely important to unload and check any firearm if you hear the ppffffttt sound of an uncharged cartridge. If this guy was shooting reloads, my guess is this is what happened.

One time after a coyote stand my buddy ejected a live round as we usually do before driving to the next stand. Powder went everywhere. The factory varmint bullet had set itself back into the case. The neck tension was not strong enough to hold onto the bullet.(possibly from loading and unloading the same cartridge multiple times) I can only imagine what would have happened if we saw a coyote on that stand. Since this happened, we gradually feed our first round and use the forward assist to get it into battery. This minimizes enertia generated setback issues and allows a quieter entry into the field. We also rotate ammo in the mag to keep from loading and unloading the same cartridge too many times.

6. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 New Member

Considerably less recoil and noise accompanied by a failure to eject I suppose. It's never happened to me so I can only hope I would recognize it. If one reloads long enough, encountering a squib is likely. It's why I shake and listen for powder in every finished round before putting it in my storage containers.

7. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The last round before swapping magazines did not eject. This wanna be "Mall Ninja" should have checked the bore before recharging the rifle. The rifle had a bullet stuck ahead of the chamber. He had to slam it before he could chamber another round. How many warnings did the gun gods owe this idiot? :confused:

8. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Just goes to show any malfunction requires thorough inspection of firearm. And also that Tap, rack, bang is a drill only for use in combat. I had a hard time re-training myself to stop doing it.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

fail to fire, use a rod or visually inspct the bore. everytime. true for any gun.

tap rack bang drill will get ya killed hurt or gun destroyed as in the vid.

if your ar15 needs to have the forward assist used it means something is blocking the bore. NEVER use a forward assist for chambering a round.

first one got stuck further fail to chambers kept driving the stuck bullet deeper until finally the bolt closed enough to kaboom the gun.

ive got a deep hatred for forward assists.

10. 1911love

1911love New Member

Why are they on all the top tier ARs and what is their proper use? I've never had to use mine.

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

IIRC my history correct, the very first AR's never had a forward assist. it was added after they had all th problems with the first AR's due to powder fouling and not being supplied with cleaning kits. they wouldn't chamber a round, so they added the forward assist to help chamber a round when it was filthy with powder deposits, so the soldier could keep firing, by just pushing the round into the chamber with the forward assist.

i think they are just a holdover from the fact they have been there for so many years now. i have never used mine either, but i do keep mine clean and oiled.

12. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Yup..Feed issues in early AR rifles led to the addition of the FWD asst.

13. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Yes the early fouling issues were the reason for the addition if the forward assist. Earlier rifles like the M1 Carbine, M1 Garand, and M14 had charging handles attached directly to the bolt carrier and worked as a forward assist if a round failed to go fully home. Happened every once in awhile with Garands when riding the bolt home to avoid getting the thumb smashed when charging with en bloc clips. A quick smack on the charging handle would correct the situation from trying to nanny it forward. The AR doesn't have that ability with the floating charging handle.

14. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

also the forward assist helps close the bolt quietly, or if you make a small brass check. i have used mine many times before. but in a failure like that in the video its not a good thing to assume it will help the situation.

15. sensei9

sensei9 New Member

Anytime you have to manually eject a round on any semi auto firearm, you should check the bore for an obstruction. Have had to do so twice. Once with reloads, no powder in the case(my fault, was reloading, wife distracted me, wound up skipping a round.), and once with factory ammo, (same thing, no powder). The primer on almost all ammo is strong enough to push the bullet into the bore.

16. Axxe55

that was my impression as well. i heard several times the rounds hitting the bench when he ejected the ones that didn't fire. the one that blew up might have been overcharged or the one before it was a squib load.

17. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Exactly my thought. Thanks for doing the typing. Lol

18. Axxe55

you're welcome! just trying to help!:D

19. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have never in my 30+ years of shooting seen a squib in person until this weekend. We had our IL CCW class and I was helping on the firing line since we had 42 people to zip through . I was watching my end of the firing line and I heard a PSSSHHHHH two people down . The guy knew he had a malfunction and they were instructed in the class to stop and raise their hand if they had a malfunction and we would come assess the situation . I took his firearm , opened the cylinder and sure enough a big wad of wet powder just inside the bore and a .38 hunk of lead in the barrel about .75" up the barrel . Everyone was supposed to be using factory ammuntion and this guy decided to sneak in a few of his own rounds he hand reloaded back in 1978 ???? WTF . The instructor could have sent him packing but let him off the hook . IT really could have been a mess . The guy in the above video had someone looking over his shoulder several times . but if you continue to be a dumb ass what can you expect . If you have a issue like above with the AR it takes 10 seconds to push out the pin pull the BCG and give it a visual inspection . Stupid is as stupid does . :D