what are the differences between all the different Daniel Def. V1, V2, V3, etc. ?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Broke124, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

Need to know what the darn differences are if I'm gonna buy one...

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

2. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

Also, does DD make a setup in 6.8 mm?

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

3. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

For the info on the defference b/w the DD models you're best info will come from their site.

DD has started making 6.8s under the name Ambush.

4. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

I couldn't find ANYTHING on their sight about the differences.

5. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

V1, V2, and V4 are carbine, V3 and V5 are mid-length. Other than that, the only differences that I see are what hand guard is used.

-Fred

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

The differences are going to be in the rail system, gas port location, FSP or low pro GB, and barrel profile.

The V1,2,4 are carbine length, while the V3,5, and 5LW are midlength. The rails are going to be different as well.

7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

LOL, well there you have it x2.

8. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

So if a guy was gonna get one for home defense and that sort of deal which one might be recommended? Keep in mind I'm an AR idiot. Don't know what any of those abbreviations or acronyms you just used are...lol.

9. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Mine is the v4 and i love it. It shoots great and neither me or the guy that had it before had to add much to make it optimal for either of us

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Which one to buy really depends on your specifications. I bought a stripped V3 LW upper and put MOE midlength handguards on it which isn't a normal DD upper so that's an option too. You can roll your own AR and have exactly what you want.

I'd start researching, maybe spend a month, and come up with a list of features you demand. Then go shopping for what's in your budget. Remember all we can do is tell you what WE want, not what you NEED.

11. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

Carbine length is 16" I'm guessing while mid length is 14 1/2" or so? And I'm assuming that LW is "lightweight"? ..

12. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Barrel length doesn't matter. What carbine and mid-length are referring to is how far out on the barrel the gas port is. I believe a carbine is 7" and a mid-length is 9", but don't quote me on it.

-Fred

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

When you say you don't understand the rifle and acronyms it wouldn't hurt to read these articles on the AR-15/M16/M4 and don't be afraid to click the hot links for more info.
    AR-15 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    M16 rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Google will likely give you a decent answer too, though you may have to sort through hits that apply.

Carbine length gas system refers to a 7" gas system, midlength is 2" longer and rifle length is about 2" more. Not directly related to barrel length.

14. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

What are advantages of each setup? Carbine and mid-length