What are the best dehumidifiers to put in a gun safe?

Discussion in 'Gun Safes' started by Pbmaster2k89, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Pbmaster2k89

Pbmaster2k89 New Member

By best i mean what dehumidifiers really suck out the humidity without making you go broke? The spot i have my safe isnt very humid and i already have a larger dehumidifier in the room with about 40% humidity on average, but i want it as dry as i can get it. Thanks in advance

2. mahall

mahall New Member

I have a small handgun safe!! I use a couple of dry packs but you probably are looking for something better!! In my humbled opinion 40% is low enough to keep your guns from rusting!! Keep them clean and oiled and it really doesn't matter how damp the air is!

3. Pbmaster2k89

Pbmaster2k89 New Member

Yea i know, im just picky. If i can bring it down more by adding one feature to the safe id be happier

4. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

As far as I'm aware, you have 2 choices; desiccant packs, and plug in dehumidifiers. The packs can be reused by heating in the oven, and the plug in ones will always be using electricity. Actually, don't they have a product now that emits a rust inhibiting vapor? So, maybe 3 choices. I have gone for the desiccant packs.
    I'd also be very happy about having only 40% humidity. Is that year-round?

5. mahall

mahall New Member

Enjoy!! Your guns will most likely outlive you, and you can get the air to dry for your own health!! Mainly skin issues and ironically 40% is that threshold!! If your Hell bent on keeping your guns dryer, I would put a little dehumidifier inside the safe!! I wouldn't mess with going any lower than 40 outside the safe, the air that you breath!!

6. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I think that's what he wants, something for inside the safe, hence the thread title. In the winter, when the humidity drops, my hands get very sore, and they crack real easy. VERY painful, and very hard to heal. One of the best things I've found for that is Chapstik. Just out of curiosity, what is the average humidity % in places like Arizona, for instance? Here in NH, we run from maybe 30-40% in the winter, to 80%+ in the summer.

7. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

http://www.eldoradocountyweather.co... Humidity/Mean Relative Humidity (Annual).png

8. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

If it has any airflow, you could just install a lamp cord with a 60 watt light bulb in the cabinet. It would cost about five dollars and take a few minutes of work with a drill and hole saw.

9. Pbmaster2k89

Pbmaster2k89 New Member

No drilling, and yes i want something for inside the safe, generally i can keep the humidity in the safe at 40%-45% in the summer and little lower in the winter.

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

11. string1946

string1946 New Member

I used to use a piano dehumiditifer when I was using a safe. Its about the same as a Golden Rod.

12. johnjohn

johnjohn New Member

Eva Dry has dessicant inside with a small plastic window. When the dessicant turns pink plug it into a wall outlet till it turns blue again. Mine lasts about a week between times. S.E. La. is pretty humid.

13. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

I have a desicant pack, and a dehumidifier rod in each of my safes, the rods probably burn $10 worth of electricity a year, very low wattage (12W I think).
    My safes are closed ia an isulated room in the gararge, inside safe humidity runs between 50 and 55% all summer, been this way for years, never seen any brownish /orangish stuff on any of my guns.

I have remote hygrometer in the safes that send to a base unit, yes thru the safe,I can read the humidity inside the safe without opening them.
    $18.00 at Amazon.

Of course I wax all my guns also.

Jim

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

a humidifier is a good idea if you live in an area where there is high humidity. but also on a side note, periodic cleaning and oiling are still good ideas as well. i have some that don't get shot as much as others and still periodically take them out and clean and oil them, regardless of whether they have been shot or not.

15. 1946ER

1946ER New Member

Remote Hydro Distance?

I have tried a couple of remote hydros similar to these and they would not transmit far enough with the safe closed.
    How far will your Remote Hydro transmit thru the safe?

16. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

If your safe is stored in a room within your house you don't need a dehumidifier. I have one in mine because it came free with my Bear Safe but you don't need one. You'll never have to recharge it or anything. Unless you keep your safe in the garage or you live on a houseboat in the bayou, you don't need one.