What are the best 30 round mags?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by jharris59, Jan 2, 2013.

1. jharris59

jharris59 New Member

I've got a SWM&P15T and a few MagPul mags. They are ok but I'm wondering
    If there are some better ones I should buy?

"Why in the world would anyone want a 30
    Round mag?" Response - because the 60
    Round mags are unwieldy and a little heavy!

2. kamakazi

kamakazi New Member

The best ones, right now, are the ones you can get your hands on.

3. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

There are probably some expensive mags out there that are technically "better" by some degree. But in my mind, a lot of the mags that you used to becommonly find for $10-20 are pretty outstanding.

I have and like:

Magpul Pmags- All variations. Highly functional, ergonomic, affordable. The standard.
    Troy BattleMags- Quite similar to Pmags in all phases.
    TangoDown ARC- Again, similar to the above on all counts.
    C-Products/Brownell's aluminum mags- These are good, functional mags...but they do have sharp edges and are more prone to denting damage.

4. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Agreed.

OP in my opinion Pmags are just about the best. You can run em over, shoot em, hit em with a hammer, or what ever and they will always work. I'm sure CaneBreak will be here soon enough to tell you about his mags. I like those too.

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I mostly have USGI, PMAG, Lancer Advanced War Fighter and a few Troy BattleMags. All work fine in the five ARs I've tried them in. All drop free from each rifle. I now like the Lancer AWF better than PMAG or Troy because of smaller size, less weight and steel feed lips. They are about the same size and weight of USGI.

In these bad times, if you stumble across Thermold Master Molders at a decent price they aren't bad. I grabbed a few 20 rounders when Sportsman's Warehouse was selling them for $3.99, had no problems so ended up with 12 or so. A lot of people swear by them and I can't say anything bad about mine though I wouldn't depend on them.

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I also use GI MilSurp when I can find them.

Colt mags are expensive, but they're top of the line.

7. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

All other mags apart from PMAG's are range mags for me. I've stepped on and ruined what were previously good quality aluminum and steel magazines.

8. locutus

That's easy to fix. Don't step on your magazines!:D:D

9. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

On a side note, my cure for dented mags...

Put 5 rounds in, and see where the follower stops.

Take the rounds out and drill a hole through the mag, front to back.

Insert long bolt through the hole, put a nut on the end, and slap some jb weld over the nut.

Instant 5 round hunting mag.

In not a lawyer, but my state law says hunting rifles using detachable mags must be PERMANENTLY altered to only accept 5 rounds.

I consider that pretty permanent. I've used them but never been stopped by a warden. I'm ASSUMING a jb welded bolt through a mag is permanent.

You won't be able to take the spring or follower out for cleaning, but so what. I was going to pitch the steel mag anyways, and a 5 round hunting mag was like $30... So I solved 2 problems with some steel mags with stuff I had in the closet.

10. locutus

Yesterday I saw Tapco Ar-15 30 rounders for $13 at a LGS.

I'm not familiar with Tapco, but it seemed strange that everyone who looked at them put them back in the box. Can I assume they are junk??

11. bassplaya

bassplaya New Member

I have a couple tapco 30 round mags and they are excellent, no feed issues. Buy away, especially with the way things are going

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I've never used Tapco AR mags but I think I'd pass, too.

13. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

they are NOT junk!

I started out as a all magpul guy too.

But then I discovered the TAPCO Gen 2's

The TAPCO Gen 2 are to me at least the equivalent of the MagPul Gen 2.
    I can already hear the howls of protest from the fanbois.. but its true.

But the body IS stronger and magazine lips ARE thicker on the TAPCO Gen 2 than the MagPul Gen 2 and if you look carefully at the MagPul Gen 3 Magazine it seems to have borrowed a lot in its construction from the TAPCO Gen 2.

Before the panic, I would buy a Mags a 50/50 mix of Magpul and TAPCO.

The only thing the MagPul Gen 2 has over the TAPCO Gen 2 is the dustcover which is neat.
    But the TAPCOGen 2 has deeper "dust looser holes" in the follower and the rest of the mag is better as well.
    (exact same spring, with body that is thicker in key places while being made out of the same material

If the PMags were not quieter than the TAPCO's when fully loaded I would have switched my mix to only buying TAPCO.

This of course was all pre bubble thinking.
    Now I found myself buying ten thermold 20 rders a week ago

PS: Where did u find the TAPCOs?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  14. locutus

They are limited to two per customer. Jensen Guns in Loveland Colorado.

They also have 30 rd AK-47 Tapco mags.

15. InDefenseofLiberty

InDefenseofLiberty New Member

Colt does NOT make their own AR mags they have been manufactured by OKay Industries for years.
    OKay industries is one of the mil surplus mags our boys use overseas. If you can find some with the green followers then you have a mag our military literally trusts their lives to.
    I'm pulling down $35 ea on my local backpages ad for these mags now.

16. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

GI mags with green follower and enhanced spring from sawlesales.com. NEVER fail. The bodies are usually freebies. The springs were $3 each and $1 followers. $4 a mag, not bad. I have about 30 of them.

17. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  18. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Tapco 30 rd mags (if you can get it). I searched high and low last week and finally found a site where I ordered 5. Cannot seem to remember who exactly. Oh, wait a minute, I think it was Cope's Distributing!

19. Donn

Donn Active Member

Kama's right. Was at a show yesterday, 30rd mags were available but you paid thru the nose for them. MagPuls were $50+ a piece. Even more outrageous were 30rd mags for the Mini-14. Would you believe $75 a piece? Being old school, I prefer MilSurp 20rd AR mags with metal followers. That's all we had when I was in, got used to them. They're still available and the prices haven't gotten out of hand,,, yet. I'm sure that'll change if this panic buying persists.

20. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Tapco makes a lot of cheaper AR/AK accessories, and a fair amount of it (especially for ARs) might fairly be classified as "cheap crap". And the AR enthusiasts, snobs, oficianados generally consider Tapco stuff "uncool". Consider me guilty.

But I do have one Tapco AR magazine that's been through the paces, and I can't offer a single bad word about it. It's proven itself every bit as functional as my Magpul, Troy, USGI mags, etc.

But it's not as cool.

If you need mags in the current climate, Tapcos @$13 are not a bad option at all in my opinion. They're not a cool option. But not a bad option either, LOL. I don't need mags, and I'd contemplate buying a few at that price.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013