Firearms Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I think I would spend a few extra dollars and get something that will last a lifetime, rather than a cheap rifle "for the hell of it"

For a budget rifle, I have heard many good things about the Marlin XL7 series.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I would spend a few extra dollars and get something that will last a lifetime, rather than a cheap rifle "for the hell of it"

For a budget rifle, I have heard many good things about the Marlin XL7 series.
Well I meant cheap in the sense of being cheap, but still reliable. An m1a is way out of my price range, my price range is more around $500-$700

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Well I meant cheap in the sense of being cheap, but still reliable. An m1a is way out of my price range, my price range is more around $500-$700
You can get many good rifles in that range, as I said the Marlin XL7 is a good rifle, I also like the Ruger M77 rifles and the Remington 700s. There are a ton of others.

Stay away from the Remington 770s, I have some experience with them, they are not very good rifles, very cheaply made.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can get many good rifles in that range, as I said the Marlin XL7 is a good rifle, I also like the Ruger M77 rifles and the Remington 700s. There are a ton of others.

Stay away from the Remington 770s, I have some experience with them, they are not very good rifles, very cheaply made.
What about one of the Marlin lever actions? I've always wanted a lever action gun, or am I better off sticking to bolt action and semi-auto?

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
What about one of the Marlin lever actions? I've always wanted a lever action gun, or am I better off sticking to bolt action and semi-auto?
A lever action 30-30 is a great option, but I would consider finding a used Winchester or Marlin, the older rifles are of higher quality than new ones. The 30-30 is not a long range round but it is hard to go wrong with it for a general purpose rifle.

·
Premium Member
22,674 Posts
Remington 700 or Winchester Model 70 are hard to beat.
For a light, handy rifle take a hard look at the little Remington model 7.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Good cheap rifle savage axis , My axis is a .223 but you can cover 3 shot 100 yard groups with a dime using cheap UMC ammo

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I talked to my buddy and he said he's trying to sell his SKS, I don't know how good an SKS is for hunting though in terms of accuracy and range. I'm mainly interested in hunting deer. He said he'd sell me the rifle and a few hounded rounds for around $350

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I talked to my buddy and he said he's trying to sell his SKS, I don't know how good an SKS is for hunting though in terms of accuracy and range. I'm mainly interested in hunting deer. He said he'd sell me the rifle and a few hounded rounds for around $350
The SKS with the right ammo is a good deer rifle out to 100-150 yards, they are also great range rifles.

Depending on condition, 350 isn't a bad price.

·
Premium Member
14,840 Posts
H&R or NEF single shots. Under $300 and extremely reliable. Lots of caliber choices. Their 223 has a 1:9 twist and I tried to talk them into chambering it for the 5.5x45 instead of the 223. I am going to check with a gunsmith about a re-chamber to Wilde or 5.56x45. I have one in 357 magnum. Remove the hand guard and the barrel comes off so it will fit in a very small package. You can also get them with interchangeable shotgun barrels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts