What are some notable duty 1911's?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by indyfan, Sep 14, 2011.

1. indyfan

indyfan New Member

What are some notable 1911's that are issued around the US in Agencies and Military?

All I've come up with is Springfield TRP Operators (US Marshals) and Kimber Warriors (Marine Force Recon).

Is there anything else?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Ed Brown - Special Forces
    Kimber (I think) - some SWAT teams.

3. Wambli

Wambli Member

Kimber SIS - LAPD's Special Investigation Section
    Kimber Custom II - LAPD SWAT
    Kimber ProCarry - Tacoma Police Dept.

I think that is it for major depts. Tough to go agains the Glock tide when your gun is double what they charge in bulk.

4. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Sig TACOPS, Texas state police SWAT uses it
    SA professional is used by FBI special agents and SWAT uses it

5. indyfan

indyfan New Member

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm just looking to get a decent field proven 1911 this Christmas (sort of a 100 year old celebration gift for me).

I've been advised by a friend to stay away from Sig 1911's and Kimbers, any reason why?

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

Agencies like kimber cuz they are cheap. I dont choose a gun based off what govt does. Their main criteria is price and what fits the average. Thats seldom a good choice on a personal level.

Agencies pay faaaaaaar less than what civvies pay as a lot of times they get nearly free guns for continued patronage in parts training or just for the gunmaker to get a foot in the door.

Thats what glock did because no one wanted em so they started nearly paying police agencies to switch to get name recognition and future sales. Served em well as they got an undeserved rep for not very good product at the time.

Thats one reason i take police agency choices with a 100 pound bag of salt...

7. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Thts a heavy bag of salt! Lol

8. Wambli

Wambli Member

Probably because he doesn't know what he is talking about and has been listening to way too many gun store counter Rambos. Kimber and SIG make darn fine pistols.

9. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Maybe your friend had a bad experience. But I own two kimbers and two sig 1911's and they are great pistols. I have had zero failures with all of them. I have carried them all and i wouldnt do that unless i trusted them 110 percent.

10. Wambli

Wambli Member

I was a bit harsh on my previous response but I do feel that way anyway. Many "purists" dump on guns like SIG and Kimber for having extraneous parts that did not exist in the original design. As far as I'm concerned JMB was a great and prolific inventor that was always looking for new designs. He would have been shocked if he woke up today and found out that no one was tinkering with his design.

In any case I stand by my previous statement, Kimber, SIG and others like S&W make great accurate and reliable 1911 style guns that suffer only from 1911 snobbery...

11. oldman45

oldman45 New Member

Personally, I carry and use S&W 1911 guns for daily duty use as do several of those I work with. It is a quality product and we have not had any problems with them.

Sig makes a great gun and many departments use them. Kimber is also a quality sidearm. I would not hesitate to carry either of them.

Although against what another poster stated, I do not find Kimber to be a cheap gun. Their price is competitive with other quality makers but not cheap unless one buys the entry level sidearm.