What are some good parts for a ar-15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by spyderfan, Jun 27, 2010.

1. spyderfan

spyderfan New Member

Well by everyone here I was convinced to go ahead and build a AR:D. This gun will be used to kill coyototes,mountain lions, bobcats and wild porkers and I pray not but possible home defense so it will need to be reliable and acurate. I have about a nine hundred dollar budget. I know I am going to need to tools and such.
    Thanks Aaron.

2. moshpit

moshpit New Member

Look at Canebrake's post here for good answer to a SOLID starter rifle:
    http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/s-w-m-p-15-599-00-nib-28740/

$599 is a far better place to start with a quality set of nice primary components. I have that rifle, and while it looks nothing like that anymore (after bunches of upgrades and changes), I can speak from experience that the build quality is very nice on S&W. While you can beat the price by building your own, it will not be with as high of quality components and won't have as garunteed of a nicely matched up upper and lower. That leaves about 250 bucks in your budget to pick out a decent scope or irons and other accessories.

Edit: Warning though! The gas block on that particular one is a PITA to remove and change out!!!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010

3. spyderfan

spyderfan New Member

I think I might try out the 6.8 then evantually get a 223. upper I was also intrested in a 22. conversion kit. Thanks slowryde now that I have think about it I have seen 300 pound pigs take a 223. and act like it was a paintball gun scarry stuff but I have also seen pigs take the same round and get knocked down but then again I think the 6.8 might be able to take down a deer and I don't trust the 223. in that role so I will make up my mind.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Want a Hog Gun, take a look at Magnum P.I.G.;

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/build-time-has-come-22019/index3.html#post210962

5. spyderfan

spyderfan New Member

The magnum P.I.G ammo is 50$ a box of twenty. I think I am going to build one in 6.8 what kind of mods will I need to make to get to shoot 223. sorry I am really new the black rifle world

6. spyderfan

spyderfan New Member

Ok thanks I thought I was going to need like a new lower or something so I understand now I will probably just take a scope of one of my bolt guns.

7. moshpit

moshpit New Member

DAYUM! That Stag complete lower for $199? KILLER DEAL! They will be hearing from me before Friday. That's just silly cheap pricing for a kickass lower! I don't even have to have a specific project in mind to want one at that price.

Edit: Bookmarked for later in the week. A KILLER find, thank you, Slo!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010