Firearms Talk banner

What are lever actions used for?

4K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  RONSERESURPLUS 
#1 ·
I've shot a few lever actions but only for fun.

Are they commonly used for hunting or mainly just for target shooting?

#3 ·
Mostly for hunting here in East Tennessee

Lots of deer, perhaps more than a few wild hogs and even some coyotes.

Besides, levers are fun and dependable and kind of a tradition. So, I gues hunting and fun! Plenty of reason to own one.

:D

#6 ·
My trusty 22 Marlin 39A Golden Mountie. Is one of the most popular guns at our family get togethers. Accurate as hell with just iron sights. It is fun simply because of how accurate it is and how cheap it is to shoot. So everyone has to "out do" the next guy with his own "impossible shot":D

#7 ·
Lever guns are for the most part limited by their design to relatively low pressure rifle rounds like the .30-30 (a 19th century blackpowder cartridge), handgun cartridges, and of course .22 rimfire. There are some exceptions, notably the Browning BLR, which essentialy adapts a modern semi-auto action design to be manually operated by an underlever, and similarly the now out of production Winchester Model 88, both of which could handle modern, high-pressure rifle rounds. Tubular magazines common to most older lever gun designs also limit bullet design, requiring flat nosed projectiles that won't set off a bullet/primer impact chain reaction in the magazine. (Hornady has some polymer tipped bullets that get around this problem, and allow more ballistically efficient bullet designs.) There are also inherent accuracy challenges with most designs, owing to structural integrity, trigger complexity, scope mounting problems, and other issues too lengthy to discuss in this post. On the other hand, the handy little traditional carbines like the Winchester 94, Marlin 336, and such are delightful to carry, fun to shoot, and have an intangible nostalgic value. And there's no denying that the little carbines, while obsolete by modern standards, still account for truckloads of deer and other medium size game in the 21st century.

#9 ·
error

Lever guns are for the most part limited by their design to relatively low pressure rifle rounds like the .30-30 (a 19th century blackpowder cartridge), handgun cartridges, and of course .22 rimfire. There are some exceptions, notably the Browning BLR, which essentialy adapts a modern semi-auto action design to be manually operated by an underlever, and similarly the now out of production Winchester Model 88, both of which could handle modern, high-pressure rifle rounds. Tubular magazines common to most older lever gun designs also limit bullet design, requiring flat nosed projectiles that won't set off a bullet/primer impact chain reaction in the magazine. (Hornady has some polymer tipped bullets that get around this problem, and allow more ballistically efficient bullet designs.) There are also inherent accuracy challenges with most designs, owing to structural integrity, trigger complexity, scope mounting problems, and other issues too lengthy to discuss in this post. On the other hand, the handy little traditional carbines like the Winchester 94, Marlin 336, and such are delightful to carry, fun to shoot, and have an intangible nostalgic value. And there's no denying that the little carbines, while obsolete by modern standards, still account for truckloads of deer and other medium size game in the 21st century.
30/30=30 gr smokeless powder not black powder.

#10 ·
lever guns history

the title is not accurate but where have you been most guns after the civil war were lever acton(not all)the henry/73/76/86/93/94/win plus marlin and spencer and others.there were few bolt guns and not popular.the 88 german started the bolt guns.(1888).short history not complete.

#11 ·
My Winchester 94 30-30 carbine has been hunted probably 10 times as much as my scoped Remington 30-06. Not because it is a "better" gun, but because it is just too darned fun! Ya gotta do a little John Wayne strut when you carry the lever as well :)

#13 ·
I love my Henry "Golden Boy" for shooting squeeks.
I've been thinking about getting a Henry for my boy. He is only 5 right now, so I might wait another year or 2, but he does love to shoot the pellet and bb guns!

I have so many fond memories of going out "just shootin" the .22 with my dad. He told me he wished he could have afforded a Henry when I was younger.

#14 ·
What are Lever action Rifles used for?

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

I'm Gonna quote my Dear old dad on this one! "I used them for any Dam thing I want", LOL That was dads POlite version of Yes, they are used in Hunting, the Range, for FUN, some target Pratice! Dad Had carried a Winchester or marlin behind the seat of his old truck for decades! In 30/30 he took more than his share of Deer and Pig! In later years he switched to 357 or 44 and used a revolver in thesame caliber as a companion gun! That never failed for him! He did not view handguns the way I did, He always said, a Handgun just gives ya long enough to get your real weapon, a rifle? Dad was very opinionated, But I loved the Old man and mostly he was right on many issues! He did like a Revolver better than an semi-auto but did like the 1911a1 as well the BHP, gave me one of each when I reached 21! He saw the lever action rifle for it's main benifits, Light, easy to shoot, clean and find ammo for! Compact enough for use in many different area's! Many in the South West have used and some still use the Lever action in patrol cars as a better weapon than a shotgun or handgun for some situations? While a dated design, yes they can be one that will fire Hi Velicity bullets, but most of those as Browning and a few others makes are not true lever actions! They are a Modified Bolt action with a lever? In shot, Use it for what works Best for ya, the Old man was right on this one!

RON L

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.