What are going to be the new currencies?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Popgun, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Popgun

Popgun New Member

When "it" happens I think it's most likely going to start in phases.

First, there will be a shut-down in our electrical/internet infrastructure making credit cards of no use; the new currency will be "cash only".

As the economies collapse, monies will be of lesser and lesser value making other things like gold and silver the new currency.

When people find that they can't eat or drink gold or silver, food stuffs and water will be the new currency.

We all had better be hunkered-down by this point, but there still may be a need to barter with people for some things. What are some ideas for other "currency items" that a person might want to have on hand when we get to this point?

2. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

When you see the likes of T. Boone Pickens, oil tycoon billionaire, suddenly pour his interest and investments into accumulating mass amounts of water.
    You know you don't need a crystal ball to see into the not-too-distant future on what might very well become the new currency. Water!

3. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I disagree. Food is perishable and water is heavy. So PMs (actual, not paper) will be continue to be useful as a currency, among other stable, portable, low weight, high value items.

4. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

I think what many of us expect is ammo used for barter but often just the bullet section.

5. TLuker

TLuker New Member

That's what I was thinking. The new currency if the SHTF would be lead.

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Here is a list of currency that will end up being barter items from my view!

Cash Only at first
    Water
    Water Purification Products
    Toilet Paper
    Soap
    Guns
    Ammunition
    Weapon Cleaning Supplies
    Weapon Spare Parts
    Reloading Components
    Gasoline
    Kerosene
    Light Bulbs
    Generators
    Plant Seeds (Tomatoes-Potatoes-Corn-others)
    Rice
    Beans
    Fishing Tackle
    Blankets
    Warm Clothing, Boots, Gloves
    *Electricity if available as well as LP Gas may or may not be
    available? And probably will not as the seriousness increases
    and who could afford them?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  7. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I think people are confusing ‘Barter Items’ with ‘Currency’. Soap, gas, water, etc., are items people use, can be used up, and thus, will disappear. ‘Currency’ does not get used up. It remains somewhere, no matter how often it is traded. Its only use is as a repository of value that can be more easily traded and exchanged for things that can be used or used up. It’s possible ammunition may function as a currency at some point. I supposed their value will depend on how much of it is around and how many firearms are around that use that specific caliber.

I don't believe cash would be very useful for long.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  8. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

I think this is probably just about spot on.

It really depends on just how deep of a SHTF scenario we are talking about.

Hystorically speaking, I would expect gold and silver to stay relevant simply because they always have been. In addition, look for things like salt to become a form of trade so common that it could be considered currency (as it once was).

9. Vincine

Vincine New Member

What I don't get is why Germany hasn't decided to leave the Euro.

10. Popgun

Popgun New Member

some good items listed. I'm thinking some small freeze-dried food packets would be best to have along as barter fodder. thanks.

11. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Don't bet on T. Boone Pickens. T.Boone spent billions on wind mills. He was going to make electric with wind. And man does T. Boone have the wind. These wind mills are piled up junk some where in Texas. Yep, he found out that there was not enough transmisson lines to carry the electric. Now if he is so damn smart he would have checked before he wrote the check. Hell, I would have prefered to have bet on Col. Sanders, he tied up the fried chicken empire. Now if the old Col. had failed he would not have had to eat crow.:eek::D

12. michael80

michael80 New Member

It could possibly be bottlecaps since that is the trend in post apocalypse video games. All it has to be is something that everyone can agree on and since that is in the minds of the youth it might as well be the new currency.

13. towboater

towboater Active Member

Gold, silver, and copper (maybe even lead) will win out for currency.

14. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

When the leadership of any nation fails its median of exchange becomes worthless. It has happened before.:(

[​IMG]

15. W. C. Quantrill

W. C. Quantrill New Member

Ol Boone may be in the power line business now, they are putting in major power lines all over here. If you come up 54 or 56, you will drive by at least 40 miles of generators once you get east of 83. Thousands and thousands of them. Ol Boone may have saved his bacon and got rid of those. There is a major transmission line that essentially comes up 183 from near Liberal, KS to somewhere in Nebraska and hooks into another line to supply juice to locations East. It comes right by here. We are talking cables the size of ball bats.....big juice.

16. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Yep the last time I was in Dodge City they had hundreds east of town. I hate those Damn ugly load things. I look east from my place across the Butte Country and on a clear day you can see those Hippie Mixmasters. Hell the elk migration has been forced along I-80 and the trucks are killing more elk than the hunters. The only good thing is the wind mills kill the hell out of those damn eagles. Maybe our Sage Grouse can make a come back.:)

17. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

NAILED it! Yes, I can trade you sage, salt, and red pepper for sausage, and you can trade me a gun repair for a dozen eggs- but that is barter.

Currency- look at the definition of fungible. It serves as a SYMBOL of value that is more portable than the items that it buys or sells. It is durable, is not consumed, and you cannot easily or readily make a fake version (reason that counterfeiting used to be a capital crime)

Fiat currency (it has value only because we SAY it has value) may go away, but the other things we USE as currency (gold, silver, copper, gems) will remain in use as such. No, ya can't eat silver dollars. You also cannot put 5 barrels of flour in your pocket and walk around with it.

In the discussions of TEOTWAWKI, I tend to look at the world's WORST piece of crap cultures- and yes, there IS still a culture, even at Stone Age levels. Afghanistan, back in the Kush. Africa, away from the cities. Serbia. The steppes of Siberia. What gets used as currency? Rare items that do not rust, rot, or get consumed. In other words, precious metals and gems.

Yes, I know the saying in Spanish- "Plata o Plomo" (Silver or lead) Yes, you can be the bandit, and take what you want by force. THAT has usually been the forming point for societies- either the bandit BECOMES the governing body (Scottish clans) or people join together to squash the bandit.

Look at the small towns when the American West was being settled. What were the hallmarks of a decent town? Merchants (and bars)- sure. A post office and telegraph office- yep- communication. School- maybe. But the way you knew that you had a town and not a collection of buildings- you had a BANK. A place to store and exchange tokens of worth.

18. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Note to Durango- a genuine Confederate States of America $100 bill, in VG condition, is worth about $100 US today.

Question to be considered- is that because the Confederate currency is worth more than it used to be- or because the US dollar is worth less? :rolleyes:

19. Kodeman

Kodeman Member

I have safely stockpiled many boxes of wooden matches. In the event of a "worst case scenario" when there is no electricity, gas lines or any modern means to make fire, it will be back to the primitive means of firemaking. Offering to trade a few wooden, strike anywhere, matches to someone who is constantly trying to make a fire with a bowdrill or similar archaic method should allow you to be in demand. Just my opinion.