What and how do you carry?

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Eturnsdale, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

I have a lot of my friends that are new to carrying ask me for comfortable ways to carry. But I constantly find myself struggling to give them ideas because but a few of them are built like I am. So I figured I would get a broader range of answers by asking here.

So if you wouldn't mind, post up what has and has not worked for you so I can better explain things to them later on. Thank you.

2. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

I usually toss my .380 in my pocket. I get annoyed by holsters.

3. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

Ok. And what type of clothing do you wear when you do that? Does it move around in your pocket so its more difficult to get hold of the grip or anything?

4. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

My jean pockets are small so it tucks in there perfectly and the gun stays in the position that I want. Right now I have on Kim Kardashian jeans (I know, I know)....they were on sale. Usually I wear stretchy type jeans because my butt is bigger than my waist and those kind of pants don't gap at the waist. If I wear Levi's or "stiffer" jeans, I have a gap in the waistband. I have holsters for my 1911 and my Ruger SR22 as well and use them if I don't have pockets. The 1911 is actually most comfortable if I carry "Mexican style".

5. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

Ok thank you. That makes a lot of sense. Now just to clarify. When you say Mexican style are you talking about felony carry? IWB up front?

6. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

To us it means without a holster at your lower back. Is that a felony that I'm unaware of?

7. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

Oh ok. And no, its not a felony. Felony carry is up front with or without a holster. They call it that cause it is synonymous with gang bangers.

8. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member Supporter

I carry a few different ways. Right now I'm carrying a full size SIG 226 Iwb small of back, for me seems to be the most comfortable, when I wear skirts I carry a thigh holster, in the winter a vertical shoulder rig under a jacket.

9. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

Thanks.

Do you ever have any issues drawing quickly from the thigh rig or the shoulder holster?

10. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

About the shoulder holster.......what happens when you get hot and need to take off your jacket?

11. Cinderocka1989

The thigh holster is a little awkward to draw from, which is why I prefer the shoulder rig in the winter, it's easier to get to.

ZG I only use it when I'm wearing a skirt or something like that so it's for short periods of time and not very often. The longest I wear a skirt for is 3 hours at church and it's usually cold.

My preferred method is iwb small of back

12. Alicia

Alicia New Member

I carry an XDsc 9 IWB in a Crossbreed SuperTuck right behind my right hip. I'd really like to get a thigh holster - the Remora thigh holster is on "my list" of things to try when I have some extra pennies. I don't think I'd use it often but I get very frustrated when dressing up a bit for a rare date night and trying to conceal IWB (hubby doesn't carry so not carrying isn't an option IMO) It'd be nice to have another option at least. I will often throw shorts on under my dress if the dress has a loose enough waist to pull that off.

I used to carry an LC9 either IWB behind the hip or in a flashbang. Man I miss that flashbang!! I didn't have to alter my style of dress really at all. I hated shooting the LC9 though because of the trigger pull, so I sold it to buy the XD. My next gun will definitely be something they make a flashbang for so I can carry big or small depending on how I'm dressed and what my plans are.

13. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I've seen a video of the Flashbang. I'm not sure how I'd like it. I have a Remora holster for my P238. Pocket or IWB, it's a sweet holster. Though I live in Illinois and I can't carry off my property.

14. Cinderocka1989

I wasn't very impressed with the LC9, I looked at it when I was looking for a compact 9mm I ended up getting my 938 almost twice as much but definitely worth it.

15. Alicia

Alicia New Member

I loved how easy the LC9 was to conceal but hated shooting it. Hubby's not that amused that I've become a gun girl - he's OK with me having ONE, but it seems to bug him that its become an interest and hobby. Well if I could just have one I wanted one that I enjoyed shooting AND I could carry and the LC9 just wasn't it. It definitely had it's place, just not as a fun range gun for me.

The flashbang took some maneuvering and messing with to get to fit right. And I only had 1 bra it really worked with. I did love that option though. My biggest concern was if I were to get into a car accident and the air bag deployed - would there be additional injury due to having a gun pressed right there. IDK if that's a valid concern, but it did cross my mind.

16. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Interesting thought.