what ammo is better for gopher shooting

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by chezboy, Jan 10, 2008.

1. chezboy

chezboy New Member

what is better for gopher hunting .17HMR, .22 or .22 mag. is the price of .17hmr and .22 mag worth the higher price than a normal .22 cal round. I ask this because on a good day we will go through 300 rounds while shooting and doing this frequently would be reasonably more expensive using the .17HMR (50 rounds for 8.99) or .22 mag ( 50 rounds for 9.99) vs using a regular .22 cal ( 50 rounds for 2.69 ). prices are in candian. Would it really be worth the extra money for gopher shooting.

2. Righteous

Righteous New Member

depends on how close you can get with 22LR , the .17 would be a great choice and long range,

3. chezboy

chezboy New Member

the gophers are stupid around here. you can get within 5 feet of the hole and they will still pop up. but sometimes you have to take shots around 50 yards

4. Catfish

Catfish Member

Any of the rounds you mentioned will work well, the gophers will not be able to tell the differance.

5. tuck2

tuck2 New Member

When out shooting prairie dog pups I have use a Ruger 10-22 Target rifle with a Burris 6X target scope for shots out to about 65 yards. I glass bedded the action into a thumb hole stock and tuned up the trigger. I have four ea ten round magazines which I load befor going into the feild. My rifle likes the Winchester 22 LR 40 Gr HP PP ammo. For shots out to about 80 yards I use a 17 HM2 and out to about 150 yards I use a 17 HMR rifle. Where you limit you shots out to sixety yards the 22LR will do a good job for you , if you get ammo that will shoot 3/4 inch groups at fifety yards.

6. Loco40

Loco40 New Member

I am a big 22 mag fan...Probably because I have a really nice one that shoots really well. I have killed a lot of thigs with that gun including several Coyotes, a bunch of Fox, Turkey and any woodchuck that I have ever seen in my back yard! It is a Browning A-Bolt. They do not make this in .22 Mag anymore. This gun shoots one hole at 50 yards and MOA at 100 yards with the right ammo. The Remington 33 gr V Max was my favorite but they do not make it any more...Now I use the CCI 30 grain V MAX Seems to be as good! A 17 HMR would be nice. I want one. Savage make a nice one that I see at Dick's on sale for $399.00.

7. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

I've used both. A .22lr will kill them, but a .17hmr will provide more entertainment value as the gophers fly through the air on impact.:cool:

8. NateCJ5

NateCJ5 New Member

I just got a Ruger 96 in 22 Mag and a Savage 93 in 17HMR, infact I just rough sited them in today. So far to my surprise the Ruger seems to shoot better groupings than the Savage does even with shooting hollow points in the 22mag. I do have a feeling though that the Savage will come arround once I get it dialed in better. Now if you wana have real fun with them a 22-250 is the way to go for me. I got a custom built Mauser actioned 22-250 that I shoot 45 grain hollow points in. Turns a groundhawgs head into a sack of Jello.:D