What all can rem oil be used on?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Okie96, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Okie96

Okie96 New Member

Hey I'm pretty much the only shooter in my family so I don't have anyone to get advice from about cleaning? All of my rifles have a blued finish and I'd like to keep that. Can I use rem oil on the outer barrel without wearing off that finish? If not what am I supposed to use to keep the blued finish?

Thanks
    Sean

2. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Yes, you can. No harm to the bluing. I use it all the time.

3. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Watch some u-tube vids on cleaning, and caring for your specific gun/guns..Welcome to the forum....:)

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Rem Oil is best used to lube water pump on 1965 VW Beetles. Use a "good" oil on your guns. Mobil One 5W 30 and Machine Gunner's Lube from Sprinco are my two favorites.

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I like Rem Oil for a cleaner, rust preventer on non-wear surfaces.

Synthetic oil on metal to metal wear points.

6. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Really? If you oil that pump, the water will get oily.

7. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

I think the old VWs were air cooled...no pump to oil, no water either..So i guess theres no use for the Rem Oil at all....?

8. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

If someone else can be a wisea$$ why not me :D

9. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Guess i didn't get it....:eek:...I thought i was smart there for a second....:D

10. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

It was sarcasm Sheldon !!

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i used RemOil for years on blued finishes with no ill effects. these days i use Lucas Gun Oil, which i find to much better. any of the higher quality gun oils, even RemOil will work.

12. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

.................................lol

13. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

It was a way to disparage... my prized oil... :)

Seriously though, most oils are just oils, under normal conditions. Rust protection is another story, but for lubrication it is more about habit than the real outcomes.

14. Axxe55

but you were smart for only a second!:p

JK! LOL:D

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

My fault for not using green font

16. Axxe55

why the green font?:confused:

my father used it to lube the water pump on his 1967 Bug!:D

JK!!:D but Dad did have a 1976 Bug. first new car he ever bought. my brother and i tried to get him to paint it like Herbie in the "LoveBug" movie.:D

17. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Rem oil for regular work and break free CLP for heavy duty cleaning. I no longer use or endorse Frog lube,...

Sent from my iPhone using CC Firearms Talk

18. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

So, what's wrong with REM oil? I find it everywhere, and use it all the time. Although, AXXE, i have heard about Lucas' products, may have to try that. May have to order it, though. I don't think anyone carries it around here.

19. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

For the most part, bluing is impervious to about 99% of standard Oils (those that dont contain any corrosives). I feel pretty comfortable suggesting Break Free as a solid Cleaner, Lube and preservative. I am sure their are better products but Im just as sure that if it was detrimental in any way to a standard firearm, the US Military wouldnt buy it by the supertanker load every year for our weapons. As Platoon Sgt, my truck always had a couple gallons onboard and we used it like water, the 50cals would be dripping in it! The only weapons I used in the military that required other lubes are not ones found in many gun cabinets (Mk 19, missile launcher...).

20. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I have gone green/nontoxic. Using 90% ethanol for degreasing and rinsing, and lately the 2000 cleaner detergent. For rust protection bought Frog Lube, after the recent intramural study here. Oil is about the only traditional chemical I still use for routine lube.

RemOil smells little and comes in spray cans and soaked patches, doesn't cost much. Just handy.