What age did you start your kids?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by TooStrongTerry, Nov 23, 2012.

1. TooStrongTerry

TooStrongTerry New Member

Title says it all! My son is almost 11 months old and im itchin to get him somethin already haha.thinkin a 410 tuffy or marlin 795 for his first. :)

2. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Got my first at 11, Remington Model 582, in 1967.

3. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

We started this year with our daughter and she's 9. She has a Ruger 10/22, but she won't shoot the .410 yet. I think I was about 7 or 8 when my Dad first took me shooting.

4. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I was 5 or 6 IIRC. Ruger 10/22.

5. gogogopher

gogogopher New Member

LOL 11 months a little young!

My daughter was about 12 and started with a Stainless steel 22 cal. Savage semi auto. It came with a cheap scope but took it off to start em on open sites. Much better IMO.
    My niece is 11 and I just started her out on this same gun. Fun and easy to shoot and maintain.

Nothing better than teaching a kid to shoot safely and responsibly! Fun for all involved!:)

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

my first rifle was at age 12. but i had been around them, and shot them since i was 3... it depends on the child, how mature they are. and how well you teach them.

7. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

My son got his first 22 at the age of 4. He is now 9 and shoots a youth model700 243

8. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

I was a late bloomer, I didn't get started until I was 13. Mostly because I played sports all year and never had time. I don't have any kids, but I want to get them started at around 10-11 if I do.

9. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I was started at 11, my moms friend was a Vietnam veteran, and a highway patrol officer. He had me shooting cans on the side of the road with a .357 magnum, no hearing protection. :). It's either the good ol' days, or the South, but I love em both!

10. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

I plan on getting my little girl a BB gun this Christmas, she is 5 I think she is finally ready for a gun this year. That and it's an excuse for me to shoot it too. Next I will get them a 22. I have three girls so I can pass them down.

11. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Nice! If I ever have kids, I'm going to build them a treehouse and set up little squirrel targets they can plink at with a BB gun.

12. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

Our boys have had a Crosman 760 BB gun they have been shooting for a few years. They are 11 & almost 8. They are getting a .22 for Christmas this year.

13. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

My girl got a pink red ryder for her sixth birthday, and pink savage rascal for her seventh. That rascal is a shooter!

14. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Like ZG said we started our daughter at 9. I myself was a very late starter since my parents didn't own firrarms. My first firearm was my Grandpas Remington 721 that I inherited after he passed, I was 29.

15. Seven

Seven New Member

I started my daughter at 7 with a Red Ryder to learn safety and the basics.
    The following year I bought hear a Davey Crickett and she shot CB's. Little kids I found are "noise sensitive". Later we moved up to normal .22 loads.
    She's 11 now and shoots my AR's at the range. When she gets the size, I'll buy her her own AR. She can 'handle' firearms now, she just doesn't have the physical size yet.