What about .32 acp?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by cluznar, Feb 19, 2016.

1. cluznar

cluznar New Member

I have a Bersa Thunder .32 acp ten round mags and also a Kel Tec P-32 .32 acp pocket pistol. Both of these guns shoot flawlessly and are accurate. I have 900 flawless rounds thru the Bersa and 700 flawless rounds thru the Kel Tec.
    I saw a video on YouTube where .32 acp FMJ fired from a Kel Tec P-32 at a distance of ten feet went thru 4 layers of denim and penetrated 14 inches of ballistic gel. Now that makes me wonder why more people do not carry the .32 acp? I carry both of mine sometimes, but always carry the Kel Tec. Why did America give up on .32 acp? It's really a nice gun. :popcorn:

2. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Mostly it is Ammo_sexual in nature...Bigger is Better ;)

.32acp has been killing people dead for over a century,
    its twin brother 7.65-Browning doing it in Europe for just as long...

In the right weapon, it is VERY controllable...
    it'll put a mag-full into a head-sized target real fast,
    very little recoil means great rapid-fire precision!!
    :shooting:

3. gunman41mag

gunman41mag Active Member

I shot at a desk top computer from about 25 feet, hit the side of it & the 32 acp didn't enter the computer, only put a dent on it. That computer had a metal plate, what hurt the 32 acp was smaller 380 acp guns.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

The 32 auto is actually one of the first rather high pressure rounds at 25,000. A good round and I never feel under-gunned when I carry one.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Thugs are not made of ballistic gel. The 32acp is a rather poor performer in actual self defense, much like 22lr. Yes it can and does kill but killing is not the goal of self defense.

32acp is fine if that is all you have but picking 32acp intentional is not what I consider a wise move

6. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Because it lacks the ability to 'stop the fight'! 'Killing' is not the issue. The 32,, along with the 22, 25, and 380 CAN kill you but they lack the ability to produce a LONG WIDE wound channel which would result in RAPID blood loose . Just reality!!!:)

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There is a demo on Utube of a guy shooting an aluminum frying pan with several different calibers. 22lr did not penetrate but neither did the 45 ACP 230 grain FMJ. 9 & 40 did penetrate. Results were somewhat surprising and velocity is important. The 32 ACP was widely used as a carry cartridge before people got the idea that handguns had knockdown power and before expanding bullets. One thing to watch out for is loading the magazine. It is a semi rimmed cartridge and improper loading or a magazine that has too much room can result in a rim lock jam. I had a couple of really nice 32's at one time but that is a sad story.

8. JimRau

No small arms has 'knock down' power!! More myth and misinformation!!!:(

9. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

How many people have been killed or maimed because they chose a small caliber handgun? I would think in today's litigious world there would be many lawsuits. If the .32 ACP was so poor that it caused many users to lose their lives the lawyers would attack gun and ammo companies.
    But then could it simply be the "Magnumites" regarding handguns that has become the vogue of the 21st Century? :confused:

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The little Seecamp .32 with Winchester Silvertips has pretty good street cred.

Bullet placement is a helluva lot more important than bullet diameter.

when I'm going somewhere that I consider non-threatening, I often just drop my little Beretta .25 ACP in my pocket.

I have 9 Hornady XTP rounds in it that chronograph 950 FPS. I feel fairly well armed.

11. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

just from a ballistics standpoint, I find the 32 ACP to be marginal at best.

in comparison to some other cartridges that I consider small of the spectrum of those that people use for self defense, such at the 22LR, the 25 ACP, and the 380 Auto, the 32 ACP is not that great.

22LR, general M/E of about 100-175 ft/lbs. on average.

25 ACP, general M/E of about 65-85 ft/lbs. on average.

32 ACP, general M/E of about 155-180 ft/lbs. on average.

380 Auto, general M/E of about 185-230 ft/lbs. on average.

9mm Parabellum, general M/E of about 500-675 ft/lbs. on average.

but even not using the ballistics as defining factor, one has to consider that accuracy, as in good shot placement can be just as effective.

so if you are a great shot with the 32 ACP pistol and are confident in carrying it, then by all means do so. personally, for myself, the 380 Auto would be the smallest caliber i'd carry.

in the grand scheme of all things, a 32 is better than a 22, and a 22 is better than nothing!

12. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Dallas, that is from a .22 with a 4-6 inch barrel. Check the velocity in a 1.5 inch barrel, and the .22 drops to the bottom of the list.

13. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

I agree. those were just representative averages of M/E figures. there were some that were below the averages and some that exceeded the averages.

the type of ammo used and the firearm used will also factor in, and can change those figures.

simply posted as an informal average for the sake of discussion and by no means all encompassing.

14. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I believe that the 32 ACP ammo is more available on shelves than the 10mm.

Both have their followers.

15. cluznar

cluznar New Member

Thank you for these excellent answers. It seems people are not really against .32 acp, they just prefer the .380 or larger caliber. But I do shoot well with both of my .32's and therefore I feel confident carrying them. Also remember that you may have more power in each shot, but with low recoil I can put 3 fast shots in center mass. That can stop a threat. :shooting:

16. gunman41mag

gunman41mag Active Member

Shot placement makes a difference, but once guns started getting smaller & bigger calibers were added. The 32 acp was over looked

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I just watched a couple of tests on Utube and it was pretty impressive for small calibers. 25ACP 35 grain XTP through 4x denim and gel went 11" with expansion. 32ACP Fiocchi 60 grain XTP also went 11" same test with expansion. The XTP is the only round I will carry in my 380.

18. JimRau

What I am 'against' is not using the proper equipment to increase my probability of surviving a violent confrontation. So far I have survived several, so I must have done the right thing!!!:D To each his owen!;) Three shots that do not give you the penetration needed to get to the vitals are actually nearly worthless!!! :( In a gunfight you do not always get an uncovered perfect frontal presentation of the target.:(

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  19. jackrich3

jackrich3 Active Member Supporter

I've owned a .32 colt-sauer and an 7.65 hsc. I'd much prefer a.22 mag with CCI 40gr. HPs

20. microadventure

microadventure Active Member

I was an EMT for a while. Every EMT I know who owns a gun uses a 9MM or a .45, because they see what works and what does not.