What a relief!!! Couldn't ask for a better day!

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by diggsbakes, Dec 20, 2010.

1. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

OK, I'll try to keep the background shot, since most of ya'll are clued in. so many of you know of the problems I was having on my 14.5", mid-length AR-15 due to some bad gunsmithing. The gun was shooting so far off, there was no correcting it. I spend 2 weeks trying to contact the manufacturer hoping for some help. I got none. Finally a friend, who also happens to own the range I shoot at and is an AR fanatic, took time away from his family to help me out. We took apart the upper and found a couple sloppy mistakes, but most 9improtantly, NO DAMAGE TO THE UPPER OR GUN!!!

My folks came up from NM for a bit of a surprise to give their granddaughter's their gifts and watch them open them. (That was awesome too :)) Yesterday the girls went to a movie and my Dad and I went for our usual shoot. The last one was ruined by my AR not shooting hardly at all.

WE BROUGHT: MY (formerly problem) AR-15, in an M4-gery type set up. It is a BCM upper. 14.5", mid-length with their MPI M16 BCG and free float quads setting on a Spike's tactical lower with Magpul furniture and angled fore-grip. (A must have!) (SEE PIC) The receiver fit is almost perfect and the gun is balanced well after the addition of a Bushnell Trophy red/green dot sight.

Pops brought his LWRC M6A2 with all the fixings including a Leupold Mark 4 3-9 x 36mm illuminated reticle.

We had the 200+ yard berm all to ourselves. (we're gettin' spoiled to the point that we wouldn't have it any other way!) We set up targets; One at 25yds. :rolleyes: That was for me so I could see if my rifle's was solved to even bother with shooting it.

IT ZEROED AT 25 YDS! The rear sight was cranked about 75% to the left. I turned on the Bushnell. IT ZEROED and ended up co-witnessing with the irons.

We started peppering our targets at 100yds usually one of us spots and the other shoots. I like that it way, because shooter adjustments can be made before settling in, then we can break off and do our own thing. We had a BLAST! Every now and then we'd go back to the targets, switch 'em out or tape 'em up. I set one up at 200yds along with 2 10" steel plates that was mounted about 2' off the ground on a 2x4 and setting in a base.

We kept up at 100 until I lost interest and started going for the plates. WHAM! First shot I hit it, followed by the second shot landing as well. The sound was more like a loud thump rather than a gong, but it was audible enough to obviously tell a hit. Pops was all about it. He hit it about 95% of the time when aiming with the main cross-hairs. If he used the reticle to adjust for the 200 yd shot (one notch up) he'd miss every time.

ALSO: That slouch of a "gunsmith" didn't clean my gun after "test" firing it, so after about 200 rounds yesterday, steel cased ammo had trouble feeding reliably.
    Just a heads up.
    The dot on my optic was covering about 2/3 of the plate, but I was totally AMAZED at how many hits I was making! Every time I missed I knew it upon pulling the trigger.

I could not be happier with the Bushnell and my shorty AR rifle shooting as well as it did. I was headed towards putting a long-range upper together, but now I'm not so sure! The versatility of that BCM is GREAT!!!

The best part. . . Enjoying every bit of it with my best friend MY DAD!

Pics later. . . .gotta go.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

his day suddenly went to s**t so he stopped mid sentence? :eek:

:p

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2010
  4. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Sorry if there was an incomplete post there for a while. This POS keyboard has a mind of it's own, but read on now!:)

5. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

You're in love with Kerrville, TX according to your avatar!?

6. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Actually I forgot to change the details when I changed the pic. I'll get right on that. ;)

Wow does this mean I wrote that whole article about the success of a SBR/BCM upper with a economical, effective optic and all the fun I had getting it to function for this?

I'll make sure to better spend my time in the future. Maybe I'll switch to writing 10's of thousands of "one-liners" instead of throwing down content. . .:rolleyes:

7. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Well that is a good tur of events for you. Congrats on getting your AR to shoot straight again! :D