what a good all aroud bullet for the 45 apc

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by lonewolf101, Jul 11, 2011.

1. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

I was thinking about using 185gr Hornady XTP.

2. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

All-around for what purpose? If you mean for all purposes, you should consider FMJ because of the cost difference.

I'd rather have 1000 FMJ than 500-600 HP self defense rounds.

I really like Speer Lawman 200grain FMJ FN (flat nose)!

3. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

I was thing about scouting some land that has black bears and target shooting.

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Don't believe that a 185gr SD hollow point is the best round for either.

Certainly not cost effective for target shooting at $1 plus a round...WWB 230gr FMJ is about $.38 a round.

As for bears...the jury is still out on that one but most would agree that a .45 just won't stop a determined bear before it gets to you. It may eventually die but could tear you up in the process. A magnum load is considered by many to be the bare minimum...no pun intended. :)

5. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Agreed. I would just use WWB 230gr FMJ or if you handload I would use 230gr Cast Lead bullets for target shooting, but I would definately carry a .44 magnum atleast for bears.

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

If you don't have a 357 or 44 magnum available I would go with 230 gr FMJ. On a bear you want as much penetration as possible and in the 45 acp that will be your best bet.

If you've got a 357 I'd load up some FMJs in at least 158 gr but 170 would be better. I would be OK with this load on black bear.

If we're talking brown bear you better bring something you need to shoulder.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

Bear country tramping around in the woods... a good 30cal+ rifle with a bayonet on the end would be my first choice.

Handguns on bears require precise shot placement and sd vs bear you prolly wont have that luxury. Take a good rifle.

8. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

is that leagel in Wis?. a 45/70 is good bear medicine but thats not small enough if I would take a rifle I;l take my 308 win. not as powerful as 45/70 but it kill em dead.

9. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Depends on public or private land. On public land check the rules of the property you are on, they may only allow long guns during hunting seasons. Concealed carry is allowed in many public forests now, if legal in that state in general.

On private land, you may carry whatever the owner of the property approves. If you own the land, carry what you want.

If you shoot a bear or other game animal out of season you will likely have to justify to law enforcment why it was necessary. The caliber of weapon used will be the least of your concerns, if you decide it necessary to terminate a wolf or other protected animal.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

If you do not reload- Blazer 230 gr round nose FMJ- FOR TARGETS

For bear- 12 g buckshot or slug. If you have one shot, make it something useful.

11. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

how about a SAW? im with everyone one else. take as large a caliber as you can and make the shot count if you need to. there is always the contender pistol in 45/70

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

shhoting a bear with a rifle in self defense?? yeah

13. formerCav

formerCav Active Member

I was thinking .308 FAL or M1A myself for Bear.
    If I HAD to ONLY have a handgun for Bear, it would be a 454 Casull or LARGER.
    oh, and BTW.... if you are loading your own for your .45 ACP I found a really SWEET deal at www.montanagoldbullets.com I just bought 2000 FMJ that look to be jacketed in Brass (Gold bullets....hey....I'm "goldfinger" GRIN) that cost $303 delivered via BULK rate US POSTAL package.
    They sell the bullets in a quantity that fits in a BULK rate USP standard pkg so you do not get sodomized on the "shipping and handling".
    HTH
    Bob

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011