What .380 Sub Compact Pistol is the one for me????

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Oldoutlaw, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

That is one of my problems. Renting one of any thing other than a Glock in this area.

Rifling82 likes this.
  2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The P238 is very easy to strip. No paper clips and dont have to hold your mouth just right.

Oldoutlaw and Rifling82 like this.

3. JTJ

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Something in the Walther PPK, Makarov size range with a pretty decent trigger, not too pricey, not ugly. Bersa Thunder. I think the trigger on these beats the PPK, and costs half as much.

OLD Ron, RJF22553, towboater and 2 others like this.
  5. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

Steve stay away from the small 1911 style 380 s particularly anything that has Kimber on it.

My Walther PPK/S was a heavy jamomatic. I'd carry the Mak over it.

I have a new Kahr CW40. They have a decent reputation. Once I got past the break in period it has run flawlessly. Better accuracy then my 9mm. Shield. Kahr specializes in carry pieces. Their small 380s get good reviews, Their polymer 9s weigh 15 oz. and run all day.

S&W makes a 380 M&P EZ. Might check it out.

towboater, Oldoutlaw and Rifling82 like this.
  6. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you shot a LCPII?

7. Oldoutlaw

Nope. Don't know anyone here who may have one.

8. Oldoutlaw

No paper clips or tools on the Kimber either.

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

One of my coworkers just bought the LCPII. He really likes it. I have a regular LCP that I have had for several years. I really like it for its size and ease of carry. I shoot it well, but I won’t call it a fun gun to shoot. I keep it because it fills a space in my carry options. Haven’t seen a reason to replace it, with the performance I do get out of it. Not worth spending more and buying something else that would basically be in the same niche, and not really do anything it does at a level so much higher to make it worth the trouble.

Oldoutlaw and towboater like this.
  10. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

Best bang for the buck 380 is the Bersa IMHO. The PP series tend to bite if you have anything larger than small hands. The LC380 is a good choice too. LCP is just a bit too small and no fun to practice with. Also in my experience the LC380 is a bit harder to find than the Bersa.

Missouribound, Oldoutlaw and RJF22553 like this.
  11. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

DSCN0399.JPG
    Colt Govt. .380 & Bersa Thunder .380

DSCN0390.JPG DSCN0402.JPG
    Sig P239, 9mm (out of prod.) 25.2 oz., Ruger Security Six, 357, Bersa .380, Colt .380

The Sig is my edc, the Colt if I'm dressed and need a smaller piece.
    I don't think I've ever seen a negative review on the colts. Old or new models.

Ingramite and towboater like this.
  12. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

I'm tossing around the idea of selling it. I don't think you'd like the price, though, it would probably make a grown cry and a wife start divorce proceedings. :D

OLD Ron and towboater like this.
  13. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

Yes, the Makarov's are better. And I've heard about those alloy frames cracking. I still like it for hot weather carry. Mine was like new when I got it and it sat in a drawer for years until I dug it out a couple of years ago. I'm always looking for a Makarov in my LGS.

Oldoutlaw likes this.
  14. BillM

BillM Well-Known Member Supporter

In the Makarov/Bersa/G42 size guns, look really hard at the S&W 380 EZ. Light,
    easy to rack, low felt recoil, magazines easy to load. Wife is a small person with
    arthritis in her hands. Bought herself one and loves it.

OLD Ron, Oldoutlaw and towboater like this.
  15. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Outlaw,
    I would highly recommend a KAHR P-380!
    As you can see it is very light very small and conceals "Very Easily"
    I have had one for years and most of the time I carry it in a DeSantis Nylon Ankle Holster. Or in a inside pocket holster (Pouch). It is so easy to carry one could easily forget you even have it on.
    Not only is it small but is very accurate. I have done head shots with no problem at 25 yards during my Presidential 218 Annual Qualification. And they have a great Trigger Pull. You can also get an extended magazine plate for the Pinky Finger to rest on. And they do come with Trijicon Sights if you order the pistol with them. They are a little more expensive than some 380s but more than worth the money! Best little conceal pistol I have ever carried.
    Here is my KHAR P-380. My wife has a Glock Model 42 380 which is a nice pistol as well in 380 cal.
    KAR P 380 2.JPG

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    towboater, Oldoutlaw and sheepdawg like this.
  16. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

My preference is the Bersa Thunder .380: inexpensive, reliable, just the right size/weight, and a joy to shoot, easy to clean. Stay away from the CC model: my preference was the "Combat" model (molded hand-grip, lower sights, can take the DLX mag (nine rounds)). Good back-pocket model, hefty enough to use as a weapon without shooting if need-be, but no so heavy as to be a challenge for EDC. FMJ .380 is nothing to sneeze at for penetration, either...

Probably better considered a semi compact.

towboater and Oldoutlaw like this.
  17. Oldoutlaw

I just sold two NEW Unissued Bulgarian Maks a week ago today.

towboater and OLD Ron like this.
  18. JTJ

Is it true the Russian Mak ammo is hotter?

19. Oldoutlaw

Some of it is pretty hot Military specs. The LVE labeled Russian seldom shows up here, but it is supper stuff. I have some Wolf that shoots really good. It has a bit more recoil to it also.
    I shoot some brass cased US made ammo, but I do like some of the Russian stuff better.

OLD Ron, JTJ and towboater like this.
  20. Maineiak

Maineiak Active Member

@Oldoutlaw if I was going t get another pistol this year, it would be the Glock 42. It seems to be the most accurate 380 in at least one video I watched. I think I posted the Paul Harrell video on the "other" forum, he shoots the Baby Rock, LCP2, PPK, G42, and maybe one other, and the Glock had the best grouping for accuracy.

OLD Ron and Oldoutlaw like this.