what 22LR should I buy UPDATE thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by hideit, Oct 11, 2007.

1. hideit

hideit New Member

I have narrowed it down to
    S&W 317 revolver or
    Ruger single six SA in stainless steel

thoughts
    plusses and minusses of each

2. reklaw

reklaw New Member

i just picked up the walther p22.its so cute you could just kiss it,and it shoots great,besides ya get 10 rounds

3. Jay

Jay New Member

Both good guns. The longer sight radius on the Ruger has the potential to make it the more accurate choice. The Single Six will also give you the option of .22 mag. Size is obviously up to you.
    Shopping is fun, huh? ;)

4. hideit

hideit New Member

thanks jay
    yea 11oz vs 39oz
    I think both have a high "fun potential"
    I am really confused
    I wonder how much recoil from the smith there is?

5. Jay

Jay New Member

recoil from the 317 will be noticably more than the Ruger, but it won't be a problem....... think .22 caliber :D

I wouldn't let recoil enter into the decision. It's not that big a deal. You will notice the increased noise more than you will the increased recoil. My 11 year old grandson shoots his Taurus 94 with a 4" barrel all the time, and the only issue he has with it, is he can't load it fast enough. :rolleyes:

6. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

If possible, get one of each and see which one works best for you.

7. moviezombie

moviezombie New Member

go handle the 317. i thought i wanted one until i handled it. i didn't care for it....and this is one gun that will show scratches and wear due to the soft frame. also, expect the coating to wear off. not a problem if you don't plan to sell it.

movie zombie

8. BunnyWabbit

BunnyWabbit New Member

Which Ruger Single 6 is the SA? I am looking for the Hunter Single 6 in stainless, 7.5" barrel #KNR7H. If you find one, repost where, because Ruger discontinued this one. Need one for a Christmas present and haven't had any luck yet.

9. Catfish

Catfish New Member

Your wandering about the recoil form a .22 rimfire revolver???????? Maybe you should see the vido clip of the little girl, 110 or less soaking wet, shooting my .500 S&W with 440 gn. bullets loaded to the max. That was also the first day she had ever shot a handgun. She started with a .44 mag. and worked up to it though.

10. Jay

Jay New Member

to start a new shooter off with a 44 mag is a bit foolish in my opinion...... but that's why there are so many opinions. One of my students was concerned about recoil from a .22, because he had pins holding his shooting hand together. Gee, ya just never know, do ya? :rolleyes:

11. hideit

hideit New Member

i picked the walther p22
    then I read that there is coming the walther PPS with exact same dimensions
    i think I lucked into this
    oh - and the wife loves the pistol also
    that is a big plus
    and the laser sight that adds almost no weight was a blast to shoot with at the shooting range

12. reklaw

reklaw New Member

p22

yeah i like mine,i mean hers.right or left handed it shoots very smooth.

13. hideit

hideit New Member

heh reclaw - that might happen to me - ha
    but...
    i usually shoot my glock 26 but this weekend when i shot the P22 the only thing they had were CCI Stingers
    i was surprised that that little P22 kicked like it did with stingers!
    no don't call me a woos, i was thinking of her reaction (basically she hates guns - until she held this one)
    hope the CCI mini mags have less kick for her enjoyment
    I'd rather be shooting the ruger SA 44mag