What .22 to buy

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Madderdaddy, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Madderdaddy

Madderdaddy New Member

I own a few rifles of larger caliber and was planning on getting a .22 rifle for plinking and also small game hunting so i dont have to cheat and use my 12 gauge anymore. I currently own a henry lever action .22, and getting a mossberg m44 thru the cmp to work on. I would like a semi auto, i will be putting a scope on it and would like to stay under $200.
    Ive been looking at 10/22, marlin 60, marlin 795, Remington 597. Please help me decide:confused: and tell me if their are any others i should consider.
    Thanks to all

2. Yunus

Yunus New Member

10/22 is probably the most popular and it does a great job and has about a million accessories available.

3. junho806

junho806 New Member

agreed
    fairly cheap, accurate, and accessorizable
    what more could you ask for?

marlins arent bad either
    you should shoot all of them if possible

4. jbd

jbd New Member

ive had my 10/22 for 2 years now and have zero trouble out of it. ive fired just about every type of 22 round u can think of. its been a great little rifle. so ruger 10/22 gets my vote.

5. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

I can't seem to find a store price for this rifle, on the Ruger site it say $277, So I am assuming its a few bucks cheaper than that.

6. orangello

orangello New Member

Gander MountainĀ® > Ruger 10 + 1 22 Long Rifle
    Gander Mt. usually seems a lil bit high on price to me, not sure about this item.

I have a few friends with the lil Rugers & they love them. They have all complained about buying the cheapo brand banana magazines; don't cheap out on the accessories.

7. jbd

jbd New Member

when i bought mine 2 years ago, if i remember right i paid about 180.00 plus tax. as i said before i have been very pleased.

8. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I think it's unanimous, 10/22

9. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

just to throw out another recent cost, i just bought a brand new 10/22 two weeks ago- carbine model with black synthetic stock....$197 plus tax.....at gatguns in dundee,IL

i love it.:D

10. Madderdaddy

Madderdaddy New Member

accessories dont matter to me. im going to keep it stock out of the box except for a scope. is the 10/22 that much of a winner

11. jbshoots

jbshoots New Member

the 10/22 is not a 200 dollar and you're done kind of rifle. once you fix the trigger and get a new barrel and all that other stuff the 10/22 fans do to them they can be extremely accurate, but that is only after you put 500 into them.

a great rifle maybe, but not a 200 dollar rifle. the ones around here go for 250 and like i said you have to fix them up.

for a 200 dollar and you're done rifle you could always do what i did and get a marlin 60. mine was 150 plus 10 dollar background check plus 30 dollar simmons rimfire scope. 190 and i have a decent plinker. the trigger not the best ever, but it is usable. i get 1 inch or so groups at 50 yds with it.

for me that is acceptable for a 200 dollar setup.

12. Destroyer219

Destroyer219 New Member

Ruger 10/22 Hands down! Feeds remington golden pretty well!

13. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

I have a 10-22 ,sold my 60,wish I didn't, looking for another 60, nough said!:D

14. rvaducks

rvaducks New Member

I would stay away from the 597. I have seen more than a few issues with them. Most of the time it is FTF or FTE. If you want a semi go with the 10/22. A blast to shoot and tons of aftermarket support for it. For bolt guns I really like the CZ rifles.

15. NymphoGnome

NymphoGnome New Member

What does that mean? I mean I didn't know a trigger could bad... Sorry I have only shot a 9mm before, so I am still new.

16. jbshoots

jbshoots New Member

some triggers are better than others. a good one will have little to no creep or overtravel (play before and after the point where it "breaks"), and "break" at the shooters preferred amount of pressure.

most factory triggers aren't that great (with some exceptions). that is why people get after market trigger jobs to get them adjusted to their exact preference, or buy after market "drop in" triggers for their guns.

the marlin i have has a trigger with quite a bit of creep and its a little too stiff, but like i said i can live with it.

17. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

.22 rifle

I have a 10-22 sporter, sold my model 60, wish I didn't, nough said!:D

18. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

19. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

I have a 10/22 and a Rem 597. I love them both. Bought both from a buddy and have had no iisues from either gun.