What 1911?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by ky2008, Feb 9, 2009.

1. ky2008

ky2008 New Member

I'm nearly 100% sure that my next handgun is going to be a 1911 but I can't decide on which one to get. I'm leaning towards a Kimber Tactical II because of the Kimber name and the decent price.

My dilemma is that I'm starting to toy around with minor gunsmithing and am wondering what you guys think would be best to do. I'm thinking of either getting the Kimber and leaving it pretty much stock or buying a GI model Springfield or equivalent for cheaper and customizing it myself. If I go the latter router I figure on adding match barrel, new trigger, sights, hammer, etc.

What do you guys think?

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Find the gun you want and buy it.

Leave the customizing to further down the road!

3. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

+1

Listen to the man. He's a wise one.

Which 1911 feels "right" in your hands? Once you answer that question, you have found the brand you want.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Oh yea, make sure it's a [​IMG]

The true JMB [​IMG] 1911!

5. Bighead

Bighead New Member

I think you'll be very happy with the Kimber if you decide to go that way.

If you decide to buy a gun that you can enjoy now, and customize later you could look at the Colt 1991 series, or the "what once was old is new again" Series 70's that have been reintroduced by Colt. Of course there is nothing wrong with the originals from back in the day either.

If you're going to be a learn-as-you-go gunsmith, I would probably go with Canebrake and say buy a finished gun now. Then get yourself a builder piece like a used Rock Island that you won't kick yourself as hard if you screw up on it, since you have less invested.

Enjoy either way...sounds like a fun dilemma to be in.

6. ky2008

ky2008 New Member

I like the idea of springing for the kimber now and buying a fixer-upper later so I'll probably go that route. I also thought about buying something cheap and taking it to novak as his shop is only two hours away.

7. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Get a Kimber now, then look for something like a used Rock Island Armory later on (the used RIA 1911 pistols sell for around 350-380 dollars in my area).

8. MrKimber

MrKimber New Member

Or just get a Kimber now and forget everything else!:D

And remember, a Kimber is for life. A colt is a small horse! :eek:

9. shotgunsal

shotgunsal New Member

kimber

hey ,I just shot my first Kimber It was a friends gun. I out shot him with his own gun Now I'm looking to buy one . He won't sell me his. :mad:

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

LOL - Another convert to the 1911 family...

JD

11. GLI45

GLI45 New Member

Not tryng to derail the "Kimber Express" in this thread, but you should check out STI before making your purchase. Kimber makes a fine gun, but in my opinion STI is a step up. A shooting buddy of mine got a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II at about the same time I got my STI Eagle (both guns in .45acp). We've often shot each other's guns at the range and he shoots my Eagle better than his own Kimber. Now he is considring a full size 1911 and is looking at an STI. Just something to consider. I'm sure you would be happy with a Kimber, but there are alternatives.

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

GLI45 - I would agree, there isn't anything wrong with STI, as long as you are spending the money to get one of their higher end models. Their entry level guns use MIM parts from BUL out of Israel.

Nothing "wrong" with that, but in the world of the 1911, you get what you pay for and I would prefer not to have MIM parts in my pistol for the price I am paying...

JD

13. propex

propex New Member

Before you buy your Kimber just take a peak at a Dan Wesson Bobtail

14. ky2008

ky2008 New Member

FINALLY!!!! I finally bought a 1911!!! I've been wanting one forever and have had the money for a while now. I was wanting a Kimber but my local dealer (Borders Sporting Goods, Ashland, KY) hasn't had hardly any in stock since I've had the money to buy one. They told me the first part of Feb. that they ordered 70 Kimbers but they were backordered and they couldn't tell me when they'd get them in.

About 2 weeks ago some started trickling in. Oh, and the reason I was wanting to buy from them other then I like them a lot is that I had $200 in gift certificates from Xmas and my Bday. Anyways, they got some of the higher end Kimbers but not the Custom II I was wanting. They had a nice Para (PX745S GR) marked for $960 but it was a little higher then I wanted. The salesman let me hold it and I like it a lot but the price was a little high. I didn't even ask what he would take for it but he came out and said I could have it for $900. That was a lot more reasonable for this gun I thought.

Told him I would wait for the Kimber.

Went in yesterday and he handed me the Para again. I asked about a holster and he said I could have a $80 Galco for $65 and %20 off shells if I bought it. Couldn't resist!

So I'm the proud owner of a new shiny, full size, stainless 1911!

Now if it would only stop raining I could go out and shoot.

15. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I have recently made the transition from plastic to the 1911 kimber, only thing I'm thinking back on is what took me so long :confused:
    I now see why they call em tack drivers :D

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

17. Dadoo

Dadoo New Member

Standing on the Rock

So with all this talk of Kimbers, Para's, and Colts, I just gotta show my new Rock Island:

[​IMG]

Not even fired yet, still wet behind the ears :) It's the big brother to my Rock Compact:
    [​IMG]

18. ky2008

ky2008 New Member

Here you go. One I took with my Iphone.

[​IMG]

Got to shoot a box through it yesterday. First time I shot a 1911 and so I don't have much to judge by, but I thought it shot good. Compared to my XD it felt like it had less recoil and got back on target a lot faster. Per the manual there is a 500 rd. break in period and it said there may be some jams during this time. I had one stove pipe that I'm told is probably due to me limp-wristing it. Other then that everything was fine.

I was shooting Blazer 230 grain ball. At 20 yds it was about 6-8 inches low. That will be annoying unless I find some ammo thats a little more accurate, which I don't think will be hard to do. I'll be buyins some dies soon so I can start reloading .45. Any suggestions for a good starting load for target shooting with my Para?

Happy so far!

19. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Congrats on your Para Ordnance! Now you'll see why I like Para Ordnance (double stack for me).