What’s the point of turrets? Short range target scope?

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Vincine, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I’ve been reading on ranging with mil dots recitals, MOA and MILs, turret clicks, etc.

First question:
    If you know your ballistics, your target’s range, and you could read the wind, why do you need to fiddle with your scope’s turrets? Isn’t faster & easier to just shift you POA appropriately, assuming you have a MIL recital? I don’t see the advantage.

Sort of related;
    Does anybody make a recital that’s just a plain fine lined grid? I had grid focusing screens on my Nikon F3s and I loved them.

My other question:
    I’m looking at flat top 5.56mm NM/Varmint AR 15s, although I may go with a bolt action. The longest range near me is ‘only’ 300 yards. It gently slopes down the first 100-125 yds. Then it runs up a hill through 300 yds. before the forest encroachs. The range faces south by south east. On sunny days the winter sun casts the front of the targets in shadow. It’s a low contrast situation, at least at this time of year anyway.

If I’m going to attempt to quickly acquire and hit bulls and/or reactive targets scattered between 50 to 300 yards in this kind of light, what kind of scope am I looking for?

(There is a 1k yard range/club 2.5 hours away. If I can get a group at 300yds, I may investigate it & .308s)

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

a reticle with graduations will typically only get ya out so far before you have to move the knobs. turrets are a quick way to dial a rough or even an exact range then you can use your reticle from there.

my nightforce has 30 moa of elevation in the crosshairs my turrets are also in moa clicks. if i have time and know i need so many moa to hit 500yds i can turn the turret enough to get a 500yd zero then the reticle can be used to cover a range from 300to 1000 yards.

or converserly i can quickly dial in enough moa to hit 1000yards.

the other issue is that reticle graduation generally only works at one magnification zoom level. typically the highest power. thats known as a second focal ring scope. front focal scopes the reticle graduations are good at any range.

so if you have a second focal scope which is the vast majority of scopes your stuck using your reticle only at the highest zoom. this makes it nearly impossible to get quick follow up shots on fast movers and still able to use holdover on the reticle.

lower end scopes often have poi shift as the zoom moves up and down.

im not a scope expert but turrets are a huge benefit for quickly and accurately changing your zero to various ranges.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

also moving the crosshairs allows you to fine tune for specific ammo, a big plus if you reload a lot. every ammo will perform differently in a gun and will group differently.

4. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Oh I see.
    All I’ve got to work with is 300 yards. It sounds like it make sense to zero at 200 yards and just work the recital up and down.

Ah, reloads, right.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  5. JonM

JonM Moderator

you can do that easily if your only dealing with 300yards max just a generic duplex reticle is sufficient. thats why your typical hunting scope has a simple reticle with no turrets. its just not really needed for your average whitetail/coyote hunt under 300 yards.

the ideal scope for under 300 is a simple 1-4 power. simple wide field of view lightweight lower magnification scopes tend to give a brighter clearer view.

6. ccd8541

ccd8541 New Member

Horus Vision does various grid reticles, several scope companies use them.

7. Vincine

Vincine New Member

This is like what I had in mind, but they've done it better. Thanks.