Firearms Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

can anyone help pin down this object we found in our museum stores?
Apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum - could've gone under 'hunting' (if is for whaling) or 'curios' as well I guess.

Breech-loading, rifled percussion long gun, 68 inches long with a hinged spike on the underside of the brass barrel. Turkish marks. Sorry unsure of calibre - object not to hand at moment.

The info says it was collected after the battle at El Fasher, Darfur Province, Sudan in 1916, but may have originally been obtained on the Red Sea coast and then transported 1000 miles by camel to the Sudan!

Original 1950s label also says it is a whaling gun (spike to fix it to bulwarks of a ship) but didn't think whaling guns were made of brass as it would rust. Plus I thought whaling guns mostly used harpoons (wouldn't fit in a rifled barrel?) Perhaps it is a rampart gun instead? What kind of ammunition would it have used?

Any suggestions or comments welcome. Sorry for the not-so-great photograph.

Thanks,

Helen

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aye, thanks biff! So would this have been just any old percussion gun that they've then attached a swivel to? Or, because it seems far too long for a general service/infantry weapon at 1.7 metres, perhaps it would have been made specially?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, i agree with what you both mention about the practical uses of such a weapon on a ship. Beginning to think that maybe it had been originally used on the walls of the Nile forts the English took over when they occupied Egypt in the late C19th or, more likely, simply imported from Turkey in order to defend El Fasher town from the Anglo-Egyptian forces in 1916 (I think the Sudanese allied with the Ottomans (Turks) that year). Interesting to learn about the reasons for the v.long barrel as an effort to improve velocity and accuracy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.