Wetherby wangard series 2

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by npink, Feb 16, 2012.

1. npink

npink New Member

Who has one in 223 ? What the likes and dislikes? I was looking at gitting one in 223 for a varmint gun

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Just get a Howa, same rifle, less$$
    I have a Howa HB in .308. Great rifle.

3. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

+10

I think the only advantage, if that's the right word, to the vanguard is you can get the .257 or .300 weatherby calibers. I like the stock on the Howa better, it's cheaper, and exactly the same action. (Howa actually makes the weatherby vanguard line FYI.)

4. npink

npink New Member

Ok the next question is how good are the Howa rifles

5. jpattersonnh

Look at my last post....
    They are awesome rifles. I shoot 7.62x51 and .308 out of mine. Accurate as all Hell.

6. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

I got mine on a package deal with a nikko-sterling scope for $500. For a cheaper rifle, they're really pretty impressive. And the scope isn't bad. The only difference between vanguard and Howa is the stamp on the receiver. Howa comes with a pillar bedded hogue over mould stock.

7. jman69

jman69 New Member

weatherby vanguard 223

I bought a weatherby vanguard .223 about a month ago. It wouldn't group 55 grain bullets very well. I went to 40 grain bullets and its awesome. So if you're going to need heavier bullets to disable your target, then you don't want the Weatherby with the 1:12 twist. You probably want a 1:8 or 1:9 twist to stabilize 55-80 grain bullets. The 40 grain bullets will blow a pumpkin up at 200 yards, but I don't know how much penetration you would get with larger game.

8. npink

npink New Member

What's the best place to buy guns offline at?

9. jpattersonnh

Local shop????

10. npink

npink New Member

They don't Cary most of the guns I am looking for

11. jman69

jman69 New Member

They should be able to order any gun you want and have it the next business day, free shipping.