Featured Wet Tumbling - Best Stuff to Use ?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by sheriffjohn, May 15, 2020.

1. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Been using a RCBS rotary tumbler with 30 lb capacity for the last few days. Cleaned about 2,000 deprimed .30-06 cases so far. I have no local source for factory brass cleaning products s0, making do with what we have on the farm, using Dawn dish soap, a dash of Goop hand cleaner, and a few shakes of Comet with hot water and steel pins. Doing batches of 250 at a time, 2 hours gives the best results so far. Drying upended in reloading trays overnight.

As I have thousands left to do of all calibers, anyone have their own "homebrew" for wet tumbling?

2. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

Beware Lemishine. Some people love it, but it has the Ph close to hydrochloric acid, and contributes to dezincifcation. I chose to dry tumble after talking to a metallurgical expert, who is also an expert witness called into a lot of firearm lawsuit cases.

towboater and sheriffjohn like this.

3. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

A few drops of dish soap, stainless steel media and time. Add enough water to just cover the brass and never fill the tumbler over 1/2. It's got to move around to get the best result.
    And de-prime before you tumble.
    My brass often comes out cleaner than it did out of the box.
    Let it tumble for 3 hours.....if it isn't shiny, tumble longer.

4. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm with @Missouribound 100%. I definitely would not make a witches brew. Less is more, and some Dawn is "enough".

G66enigma, towboater and sheriffjohn like this.
  5. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

@sheriffjohn, did you shoot those 2,000 30-06 rounds yourself? If so, what firearm?

sheriffjohn likes this.
  6. sheriffjohn

Thanks fellow gunstrokes. My last tumbling experience was about 40 years ago with a Thumbler's Tumbler which left red acumpucky akin to dried powdered paint on cases. This RCBS rotary rig with steel pins is a giant leap for me. Sorted out by maker, now I get to swage primer pockets for a few days. Thanks again.

towboater likes this.
  7. Missouribound

I use a Thumblers. A rather small one since I just tumble pistol calibers.

towboater likes this.
  8. sheriffjohn

Some are range pickups (about half). The others are from deer hunters at my farm and my Garand and 1903A3. I do pretty good decapping until a Berdan primed case shows up unexpectedly. After breaking a couple of decapping pins I now check every one with a flashlight. I use the "COP" method to find stuff like spare decapping pins - "Check Other Pile" where I found no decapping pins but a cache of English flints and the extra magazine for my Colt Mustang.

Shopfox and towboater like this.
  9. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

Those things should be illegal, punishable by death!

sheriffjohn likes this.
  10. sheriffjohn

Ordered more decapping pins from Midway to arrive Monday. One partial package I found had a sales slip from 1976 attached. Then again, some of my brass is dated 1942.

11. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

I have some .38 casings, nickel plated I picked up at an informal shooting range used by Police in the mid sixties. Some was were loaded, 50 years ago. Some split when reloading or firing, Those cases are thin and nickel plated.

12. Missouribound

The only negative thing I have heard about nickel plated casings is that the plating can flake off and stick to the dies. On the plus side I would imagine it would be easier to spot defects in the shiny casings rather than dull brass.