western books

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by gunnovice09, Jun 19, 2012.

1. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 New Member

I love westerns and was wondering if there are any good western type books that are any good? Are they as good as movies? Thanks guys

2. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

do a search on Louis L'Amour, he was to western books what Clint Eastwood & John Wayne are to western movies.....plus he was a North Dakota boy like myself :D

3. fmj

fmj Active Member

+100 Louis Lamour

Begin with the Sacketts series

1. Sackett’s Land
    2.To the Far Blue Mountains
    3.The Warrior’s Path
    4.Jubal Sackett
    5.Ride the River
    6.The Daybreakers
    7. The Courting of Griselda
    (short story in “End of the Drive”)
    8.Lando
    9. Sackett
    10. Booty for a Badman
    11.(short story in “War Party”)
    12. Mojave Crossing
    13. The Sackett Brand
    14. The Skyliners
    15. The Lonely Men
    16. Mustang Man
    17. Galloway
    18. Treasure Mountain
    19. Ride the Dark Trail
    20. Lonely on the Mountain
    +
    Milo Talon, The Man from the Broken Hills, Rivers West, Bordon Chantry, North to the Rails, Fair Blows the Wind, Over on the Dry Side, The Fergusson Rifle

The first 5 or 6 are the best IMHO! Lando, Sacket and The Sacketts are pretty tasty reads as well. Also check out the "walking drum" and "last of the breed"

4. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 New Member

Sweet sounds like a good start! Thanks guys!

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

If everyone read Louis L'Amour books the world would be a better place.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

William W. Johnstone is one I like. His books are very similar to Jean Claude Van Damme movies though. Just about the same plot every time. Bad guys come in, stir up crap, Smoke Jensen cleans house, bad guys recoup and regroup, whip Smoke's a$$, and then Smoke comes back with a vengeance and just kills em all. Good stories, but once you've read a couple you start to get the feeling that you've read them all.

7. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Go with the Gunsmith books and Longarm series. Clint and Custis are badass mofos.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  8. Tell_Sackett

Tell_Sackett New Member

Another vote for Louis L'Amour ,(that's where I got my user name). My favorite westerns that he wrote or the Kilkenny books, (Kilkenny, The Rider of Lost Creek, The Mountain Valley War) although I think my very favorite is The Walking Drum which I an re-reading now.

9. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 New Member

Thanks guys Louis sounds familiar

10. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Lois L'Amour is the best, well written, great detail, great attention to history and compelling reading. Max Brand is good as well, but of a simpler style. Check out Shane (the book is better than the movie) and The Virginian by Owen Wister.

I don't care at all for Longarm, I read one once years ago, relies of sex to sell the books. Like romance novels for men I'm guessing. Lousy writing IMO.

11. Shihan

That's what's so good about it.

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

another vote for Louis L'Amour. have read many of his books over the years. many have even been made into movies. he is probably one of the most famous western series writer there was. many are still best sellers in the western genre.

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

To each his own.

14. ellwood45c

ellwood45c New Member

Add another+100 for louis lamour. For several years i've been collecting first editions off the sackety series. If you want to laugh out loud get baxter blacks book ( hey cowboy u wanna get lucky). Hes a vetrenarian and a cowboy who looks at life kinda simple. He also writes cowboy poetry that is funny as heck.

15. Shihan

It was great when you where on a Med-Cruise.

16. steve666

steve666 New Member

Many Louis Lamour books have been made into movies:
    Hondo
    How the West Was Won
    The Shadow Riders
    Catlow
    The Burning Hills
    Conagher
    Heller in Pink Tights
    The Sacketts
    The Quick and the Dead
    Shalako
    Stranger on Horseback

and a number of others.

17. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Some really fine vintage western books were written by Zane Grey.:)Grey wrote and lived in Arizona at the end of the frontier. His books were used in many of the Hollywood westerns.;)

18. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Zane Grey was the one I couldn't remember last night and didn't want to turn on the light to see! Right on Durango.

Another one that some might like who is rather obscure today is Will James, he wrote mainly for boys but his writing is very good. He writes in the cowboy vernacular. His books were out of print for many years but have seen some resurgence in popularity. They made a movie out of his book "Smoky the Cowhorse". My youngest son has been collecting his books.

19. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Louis l'amour is great. William w johnstone is great. He has smoke Jensen, mountain man preacher, Frank Morgan, kid Morgan, then there's the ashes series which is something totally different but good. Zane grey, Lauren Paine, Ralph Compton, Jake Logan, Jon Sharpe. Last two are like longarm in that they have sex in em but the are very good books. Logan is about slocum and Sharpe's is the trailsman.