Western Auto 330A Question

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by polyophio, Aug 1, 2013.

1. polyophio

polyophio New Member

I recently acquired a Western Auto 330A .410 Shotgun chambered for 3". I know it is a Mossberg 183 but I can't seem to find any information on what it was choked at. I contacted Mossberg and they can't tell me. I was hoping that someone here may have this information or could tell me were I can find out. My son wants to use this to shoot his first deer. I just want to make sure I can shove slug through it without any damage to the firearm. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

2. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Almost all, especially older, .410's were choked full. I would bet that yours is choked full also. But, not to worry. Shotgun slugs are made to shoot through all chokes. Just make sure your son can hit a pie plate sized circle at 50 yards or so, and he should try to shoot the deer at bowhunting distances if using a .410 slug.
    ct

3. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

Exactly what cottontop says.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Cottontop is right on.

5. polyophio

polyophio New Member

I was pretty sure it was full choke. We took the firearm to the range today and it did very well. He put 3 shots in roughly a 4" group at 40yds. He is very happy. As am I. Thank you for your replies.

Brian

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Most of the 2.5" 410 slugs are only 1/5 ounce/97 grains. Winchester Super X and Brenneke 3" are 1/4 ounce/120 grains.