Werid 12 gauge loads

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by bwalka, Apr 1, 2012.

1. bwalka

bwalka New Member

I hear farmers all the Tim load 12 gauge shells with rock salt and rocks and other things. Has anybody every done this or shot loads like this. I was thinking about making some for home defenses if they work

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Yes it works. There is already 2 threads at least about this subject

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

3. akers06

akers06 New Member

Yea it works....I have been shot with rock salt from about 40 yards away and it hurts like a b1tch

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Save your time- and read THIS: http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot33.htm

For defense, stick to buckshot. Do NOT make up loads of rocks, 4 penny finishing nails, or beaded chain. I DO load 12 g double ought dried peas- as a "hazing" load to run critters out of the garden without hurting them.

Less than lethal also generally means ineffective. Frankly, if it worked, Remington would be selling them.

5. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Do pesky neighbor kids tryin to TP and egg you house count as pest like critters c3?

6. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought some rubber buckshot and kept it in my shotgun for a first round "warning". It completely penetrated cardboard at 30 feet.After chasing a feral cat out of my garage that was severely injured, I thought to try it out. It climbed a tree and the rubber shot didn't even knock it out of the tree at 30 feet. Not impressed, I put it back in storage.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Remember, using a DEADLY WEAPON in a non-deadly manner is ill advised. If deadly force is needed, use deadly force. If it is not warranted, DO NOT use a deadly weapon. It will end badly for you either way.

If you want to use something less lethal on 4 legged trespasser is ok if you wish.

8. Shade

Shade New Member

Rock salt was a common "non-lethal" load back in the day. I was even hit
    by some back in my youth, hurts like a MF-er. But a shot in the air would
    have had better effect as we could have run faster with out the salt in our
    arse.

I agree.

Trepassers whether they are biped or quadraped, get lead. Depending on my
    frame of mind they might get a warning shot.

9. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

never shoot a warning shot. that will also end bad legally.

10. primer1

I didn't mean a warning shot into the ground or air, it would be on target. I'm not meaning to troll, but in court after shooting someone wouldn't it look better to the jury that I gave the perp a chance with a non lethal load? I understand both sides of this argument, and my rubber loads are in storage anyways.

11. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

no because then you could be looked at as a Torchering the bg. it is better to use the lethal than less than lethal.

12. akers06

akers06 New Member

So why isn't it looked at like that when law enforcement uses the rubber buckshot

13. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Because thats a sub doing weapon. Kind of like tazers

14. akers06

akers06 New Member

I guess I don't understand y would you get in more trouble for shooting somebody with a so called "non lethal load" vs a lethal load

15. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Bc if you shot them w a non lethal they can sue you for assault where as that isnt an issue if you blow their wick out w say 00 buck. Its illegal in several states to even own the rubber buck shot if you are a civvy or non LEO

16. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Too follow up on marlinman. I live in ma. Tasers are illegal. If you pull a gun in this state you had best be the only one that can explain what happened afterwards and you're still gonna do time.

17. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I live in MO and if you can prove your life was in danger and you shoot them then you had better kill them grave yard dead bc you are gonna get sued by them AND the state. Plus jail time.

18. akers06

akers06 New Member

Ok makes since I never thought of it like that lol

19. primer1

Another "common sense" gun law: illegal to own non- lethal ammo. Wtf? Let's outlaw air rifles next.

20. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Shhhh let's just pretend air rifles don't exist.