Were people REQUIRED to stay inside?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by GoGlockOrGoHome, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoGlockOrGoHome

GoGlockOrGoHome New Member

During the manhunt for the Boston bombers, were people REQUIRED/FORCED to stay in their homes?
    I would have been upset if I couldn't take my dog for a walk or ride my bike down the street to a friends house...
    So my question is...we're citizens forced to stay in their homes?
    And what repercussions would they have seen if they decided to go out for a stroll and walk the streets..
    I understand the government told them to stay inside because it was safer than roaming around.

But recommending them to stay inside is different than REQUIRING them to stay inside and getting them in trouble if they leave their house...

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

It was only a request. But I was not there so hard to what did/would have happened if you went for a stroll.

3. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

I know what you're trying to say I really do. But under this probably only circumstances I would be okay with that. Gotta remember they were terrorists and they were known to be driving around Throwing bombs out of their cars so maybe for the best of people. Plus you have police out on high alert little edgy maybe shoot first ask questions later. But that's just my thought

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

the govt cannot force you to stay in your home or flee your home in cases of emergency.

in such a situation you will likely be questioned as to what your doing and asked to return home to help reduce the ammount of people being put in danger. but they cannot force you. they CAN keep you out of an active crime scene or arrest you for interfering with police investigation if your wanderings lead you into a conflict with what the police are doing searching for a suspect like that.

if your intent is to strap a camera to your chest and be beligerant and insist on being an @ss walking up and down the sidewalk in front of a place that is thought o be habited by a mass murderer, your going to jail and im going to laugh at you for being stupid and making it harder to catch the perp.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree with JonM. common sense would have to be the key word. armed LE looking for a dangerous individual who might be armed. yes common sense for sure. IMO, only going out if absolutely needed and with proper ID of course.

6. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

There are smaller towns in rural communities where folks would have been sitting by the front window with a rifle waiting for some pipe bomb throwing clown to come down the street. They wouldn't need to be protected.

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

That's why they pick places like Boston and NYC.

8. kirbinster

kirbinster New Member

I don't know if they can't force you. Here in NJ during super storm Sandy there were towns that had mandatory curfews for all private citizens.

9. locutus

Sometimes curfews are necessary because first responders are running short of cadaver bags to put the freakin; idiots in.

10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

The citizens probably weren't required to stay inside, but the LEO's sure wouldn't have to recommend that action to me twice!!

11. willshoum

willshoum New Member

What part don't you understand. You were given good advice, you chose not too. Me, my self and I along with Ben, would have been watching my yard for the purp............And he would have been shot and hopefully not killed.............If you wake me up in the middle of the nite, you will have a confrontation on your hands. 00 buck, and I'll deal with the rest later........I don't give a rats arse who you are.................Do like the cops and law enforcement, shoot first and lie later......................

12. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

A little off subject, but about the guy who discovered #2 in the boat.....

If I knew that some explosive armed terrorist was roaming about my neighborhood, I will be damned if I had gone out to the bloody boat and lifted the tarp.....It is a wonder he didn't get a face full of lead or blown into the next neighborhood.

What do you reckon he thought all of the vest wearing cops were there for?

13. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

I believe everyone's starting point and take on this may differ...
    I do not live in that terrain or neighborhood type, so my thoughts around a discovery in my backyard would not be as relevant and I assume the homeowner was unarmed.

He obviously was curious...
    and if he was not, the kid would have expired in that boat.

By the time the there was police presence my neighborhood to that extreme, I would be in family protection mode and a little weighted down!
    Really don't think it would get to that point here as even the occasional errant vehicle is noticed.

But given the exact set of circumstances I would not raise the boat cover...no desire to die with this creep!

14. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

One thing I am curious about were any shots fired at this guy while he was in the boat or did the LEO's just surround it at a safe distance and announce "Hey a&&hole we know you are in the boat so you might as well surrender" and then wait for him to give it up?

OT as a second thought, if they had shot up the boat or the badder blew up himself and the boat, who the heck would pay for the poor homeowners boat and other damage done to his place? I'm pretty sure most insurance doesn't have a "blown up by terrorists or shot up by LEO's in the line of duty" rider.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  15. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

The major media said-
    "Residents were TOLD to stay inside"
    "Residents were then ALLOWED to leave their homes"
    TwitterBoston Police Dept. @Boston_Police
    #CommunityAlert - Large police presence in Watertown. For safety of all involved, residents asked to stay indoors.
    The Boston Police Department continued issuing warnings to residents early Friday morning to stay indoors and not answer doors unless to identified officers.
    “We’re asking people not to go outside. We’re asking people not to go to mass transit,” an official said in a televised briefing.
    "The situation is grave... we need your help" - police appeal to #Boston residents to stay indoors
    BREAKING: Police are locking down neighbourhoods in a 20-block area of #Boston as they hunt for the 2nd suspect in the marathon bombings.
    Friday, April 19, 2013 6:12:41 AM
    Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick tells all of Boston to stay indoors as massive manhunt continues
    NBCNews: City on lockdown
    MassGovernor Boston, If you are in your home & need services, contact local officials! They will assist you
    The local TV Boston station said the police are beginning to get heavy handed about the order to stay home.

16. GoGlockOrGoHome

GoGlockOrGoHome New Member

Mh thought was if "hey I have a CCW. And I want to go for a walk. Or maybe I want to go out and find the MFer myself!"...

17. locutus

The cops were having a hard enough time already. Why put a bunch of armed citizens in civilian clothing out on the streets??

Having a "right" to so something does not excuse me from the need to exercise reasonable judgement and responsibility in the way I use that "right."

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

well it's quite possible you would be arrested for hindering an active police investigation.

also while they are trying to determine who you are and wasting valuable time dealing with you, is time that could have been spent searching for the real suspect.

real intelligent thinking on your part.

19. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

... and where all the LEO's know you, your kids, your parents... hell, maybe even your Grandparents. THAT'S the type of community I'm looking to retire back to in the next 10-15 years.... because it sure ain't the "metro" Raleigh/Durham area anymore!!

20. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Come on down to JoCo.. We still have some true rural areas left!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.