Went to the range today

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by fupuk, Oct 22, 2011.

1. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Went to the range today before work and got about 175 rounds off, and i know for a fact that i don't like the remmington ammo that i bought. But the winnchester ammo i tried works well for me. Most of my shooting was at 10-12 yards. And a couple that were 25 yards, but i won't even talk about those today. It took a little bit to figure out what worked best for my shooting style but im getting there. That was 12 rounds at 12 yards And about 30 minutes of practice. That's my best one i had a few on other targets that were pretty random but i didn't take them ones with me.

Attached Files:

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Not bad for a new gun! ;)

3. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Looks pretty good from here ;).

4. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Yah Im still gonna need to practice alot butter i didn't think it was too bad for my first time out with my revolver..

5. fupuk

fupuk New Member

What's the average distance for shooting a handgun for accuracy?

6. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Well, "All guns are more accurate than the shooter". Regarding distance it depends on the shooter as well. I mainly shoot at 3-7 yards at my local range, but when I'm on my family owned property I shoot probably out to 20-30 yards for fun. I recommend you work on 3-7 yards and become proficient at it, because that's around the average range between you and an assailant.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Depends what you're shooting at.
    Competition shooting = any range.

Fight shooting = be real good at 2 and 4 meters, anything over 10 meters isn't self defense, its hunting!​

8. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Looks like you have a fun time at the range. Thanks for sharing.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

That is not a bad target for a new revolver. I mostly shoot at 7 yds with the pistol. When I shot competition a loooong time ago it was mostly at 25 yards. Sometimes it was 50' with smaller targets. Shooting styles have changed a lot. Back then it was 1 hand and open sights. Now it is mostly combat style with optics. 3 gun was a 22lr, 38spl and 45 ACP which is a far cry from 3 gun now.

10. mauser757

mauser757 New Member

Nice shooting, not bad at all if you were shooting single action. Even more impressive if you were shooting double action.

11. fupuk

fupuk New Member

It was single action..

12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Not bad, Fupuk. Actually, for me, what's part of the fun is practicing and getting a little better each time. Learning something new about myself and/or my gun. Your target looks a lot like my targets. My first gun was a revolver and I really like revolvers. I'd like to add another one or two. All I need is money. :( As long as it's a fun day at the range, you did good. I most practice at 7 yds for self defense practice but enjoy shooting at 25 or 50 yards as a challenge.

Keep those range reports coming!! We like seeing them.

13. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Im hoping to go in a couple days. And will post the targets when Im done..

14. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Not bad. What's your wheelgun and barrel length?

Range depends on scenario. In any kind of SD situation you'd most likely be within 10 yds of your target...so practice at varying distances out to 25.

Just for fun we sometimes take our handguns back to 70 yrds and slow fire at 12" paper targets. Compensate a bit for drop and you'd be surprised how often you'll hit paper.

15. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Ruger Gp 100, 4 inch barrel.

16. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Went to the range today. And i bought the old lady a Glock 17 so i brought that too..

Attached Files:

17. rsfrid

rsfrid New Member

Nice shooting. I posted some of my targets in an earlier post -- GP100 6" barrel. Were you shooting 357mag? Or 38?

18. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I was shooting winchester .357 mag.

19. rdstrain49

rdstrain49 New Member

Depends of the weapon and the shooter. I shoot a fair amount of 200 meter silhouette. 5 shot 4" groups are not uncommon.

20. OnTarget

OnTarget New Member

fupuk ~ I have the very same revolver and after seeing your targets I'm going to have to get out to the range myself. That GP100 is a fine gun and will shoot the balls no doubt about it. Waiting to see your next set of targets.