Went to the hunting lease today

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Txhillbilly, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I had to go and repair both of my feeders at the lease today. The hogs have learned how to knock them down since the legs were light gauge material from the mfg.
    I welded some heavy duty legs for both feeders,and had to replace one of the motors on one.
    I got some really great and interesting trail camera pictures also.

There are three 2 or 3 year old bucks coming to one feeder,and one of them has tags in both ears. There are no high fenced ranches or deer farms anywhere around the area,so it's strange to see tags in a deer's ears. There are some game ranches across the Red river in Oklahoma,but they are 20-30 miles away.:confused:
    All three of them look great,but need a couple more years to grow before they will become targets. The deer with the ear tags is on the right in both pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had a really good breeding season last year,and there are does with fawns everywhere on the ranch,and many have twins.

[​IMG]

Continued-

2. Txhillbilly

There's and older 8 point that will be on my hit list this year. He has a great rack,wide and tall with good mass!
    He's on the right in the first pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Continued-

3. Txhillbilly

And Pigs,we have them all over the place. There is a monster boar out here,along with many other boars that are in the 250+ range.
    I can't wait for it to cool off down here,it's just too damn hot to kill the eating sized hogs right now.The meat would spoil before you get them cleaned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Txhillbilly

Here's a monster hog for ya! That's a grown Black Angus cow in the picture with this thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't wait to shoot this hog with the 458 SOCOM!

5. Txhillbilly

Here's more of the big one around other hogs.He just makes all of them look small.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

What time of day were those bucks showing up? What I wouldn't give to see one that big

7. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Better stock up on ammo before going after the hogs! How about organizing a member Hog Hunt? Someone out there must want a chance to thin the herd! :)

8. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Just a guess, but the smart bucks are usually right around dawn and dusk.

9. Txhillbilly

Right now they are usually coming around the feeders early morning and right around sunset. It all depends on the moon cycle,when they have good moonlight,they come out late at night.
    The ranch owner is an old friend,and we have always tried to manage the deer herd in the area.There are some really nice animals in the area.

10. Txhillbilly

I was going to use my crossbow to thin them out,but after seeing that big one,I changed my mind. I really don't want to piss that thing off with an arrow!
    The bigger boars aren't edible in my opinion,you really can't stand to even touch the smelly bastards when they are over 250-300 lbs. We just drag them out in the pasture,and shoot the coyote's off them.

11. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

I like that idea lol in sc they say the record bucks are shot between 10 am and 2 pm which really surprises me.

12. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have two bucks mounted, first was killed about 10 am, the second was killed at 9 am. Both were on dates so to speak, the ladies make the fellas do things that get them in trouble.

Deer do learn to pattern people and to feed when you are not around.

Also, how many hunters get bored around 10 or so and start walking, either out of the woods or just pilfering. The hunter that stays on stand is the beneficiary of the human activity.

13. Txhillbilly

That is very true.A lot of hunter's also make their presence known while getting to their hunting area's,and the game will just wait them out or move out of the area.
    The deer on the ranch I hunt on are used to seeing vehicles in the fields during the day since it is a working ranch,so that does make a big difference in being able to getting into the hunting areas without alarming the game too much.